U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 04:07 AM

2 posts, read 6,521 times
Question Please advise! Want to move somewhere warm!

Hi all!
OK. So I'm a single, 25-year old female Denverite looking into moving someplace warmer. Here's my criteria:

-I do NOT like the snow. Anywhere where it snows more than it does in Denver is out. I don't mind humidity - I actually kind of like it. I'd prefer it not to be sweltering hot, but I'd rather that than cold.

-I like the size of Denver, so somewhere of a comprable size would be nice. I would like to be in a place with a nice, young crowd and the option of good nightlife. Horrific traffic is a no-go (hence, LA is out). I need a city where all the major bands are going to come through to play shows.

Some other things to take into consideration:

-Cost of living: I am not rich and don't forsee becoming rich in the near future. Does that mean all of California is out? Because otherwise it sounds lovely...

-Portland or Euegene? I have considered Oregon, but well-wishers have warned me that the gloomy, constant rain might cause me to fling myself of a balcony. Thoughts?

-Florida, NC, SC? The weather is enticing...Coming from the mid-west, would it be too much of a culture shock? I don't mind bugs or humidity. My politcal leanings are medium-liberal / not-really-all-that-interested.

- I have not yet embarked on a "career" so thats not so much of a concern as long as I can get some sort of decent job that pays the bills.

Hmmm...anything else? I think thats about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

-Jessica
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 08:58 AM

18,950 posts, read 49,532,294 times
Denver isnt the Midwest, not by any stretch of the word. Southern culture will be quite different, but like anything, youll get used to it. But I must warn you of the summers in the south... you might say you like humidity and heat, but until youve experienced it for months on end, Id be careful what you wish for. Minus Denver's notoriously long snow season, Id prefer Denver's climate ANY DAY over anything in the South. The South in the summer is miserable.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:06 PM

726 posts, read 1,138,944 times
You do realize that the temps in NC are close to the same as Denver? South Carolina is only slightly warmer (about 10 degrees).

Old 01-31-2010, 04:06 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,651,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
You do realize that the temps in NC are close to the same as Denver? South Carolina is only slightly warmer (about 10 degrees).
And NC got a lot more snow then us here in the Detroit area.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:45 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,163,553 times
Maybe somewhere in Florida? Miami or Tampa are the closest to the size of Denver in the state. It can definetly be "sweltering" though. No snow is about 99% guaranteed. Nightlife is great throughout Florida. Culture shock maybe present at first, but should wear off. Getting a job could be pretty difficult right now though. Good luck on your search.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:35 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 4,078,887 times
socal but not any of the major cities??

Old 01-31-2010, 07:44 PM

353 posts, read 466,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Maybe somewhere in Florida? Miami or Tampa are the closest to the size of Denver in the state. It can definetly be "sweltering" though. No snow is about 99% guaranteed. Nightlife is great throughout Florida. Culture shock maybe present at first, but should wear off. Getting a job could be pretty difficult right now though. Good luck on your search.
The OP doesn't want traffic, so pretty much all of Florida is out, specially Miami. lol

"-I like the size of Denver, so somewhere of a comprable size would be nice. I would like to be in a place with a nice, young crowd and the option of good nightlife. Horrific traffic is a no-go (hence, LA is out). I need a city where all the major bands are going to come through to play shows."

Old 01-31-2010, 07:53 PM

8,759 posts, read 11,463,466 times
I'm a little disappointed that you don't give hope for yourself, like the only way you'd be able to afford CA is if you were rich.

People that aren't rich do live in CA, they just make it work somehow (that "beautiful" weather and everything else that goes along with it doesn't come for free).

So:

Los Angeles-OC-IE-HD (the whole blob)
San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose
San Diego
Sacramento

And:

Miami
Tampa
Orlando
Dallas
Houston
San Antonio
Atlanta
Phoenix
Las Vegas
New Orleans

Pick one and let us know how it goes.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:54 PM

8,759 posts, read 11,463,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native17 View Post
Horrific traffic is a no-go (hence, LA is out).
Horrific traffic is really only an issue if where you work/go all the time is far from where you live.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:49 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,163,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native17 View Post
The OP doesn't want traffic, so pretty much all of Florida is out, specially Miami. lol

"-I like the size of Denver, so somewhere of a comprable size would be nice. I would like to be in a place with a nice, young crowd and the option of good nightlife. Horrific traffic is a no-go (hence, LA is out). I need a city where all the major bands are going to come through to play shows."
Almost any city with a comparable size to Denver is going to have traffic problems
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.