U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 11:10 AM

20 posts, read 53,167 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My Fiancé and I want to move somewhere nice for a couple years and then move back to NY when we want to have kids. We are in our late 20's and want to move after we get married (middle of 2011). We live in Long Island now, and want to move somewhere warm, beautiful with beaches and a more relaxed mind set. Want to get a break from the intense pace of NYC. We have been thinking about San Diego, and more of a stretch Hawaii. I would love to hear some suggestions of places for us to check out. Schools doesn't matter bc we want to move back before kids. Thanks for your advice!!

-Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 08:48 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,127,313 times
If I was in your shoes, I'd be thinking about the travel opportunities as well as my home base. So from my perspective, consider the following...

If you want to live somewhere so that you can enjoy travelling throughout the western-US with relative ease of occasional internation travel around the Pacific Rim, look at southern CA areas that are close to one of the local airports.

If you want to live somewhere so that you can travel extensively internationally throughout the Asia-Pacific region, choose Ohau.

In either case, the cost of living is high. Go with a condo so you're not saddled with lawncare, home maintenance, etc... That will free you up to explore with reckless abandon.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:51 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,246,890 times
Why do you want to move away for just a couple years? I don't think it's worth it unless you plan on living somewhere more than 5 years or something. I always hear from people who left LI that it's really hard to move back, so make sure you pick a place that has an equal cost of living so that it isn't difficult to move back. Just be careful.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:53 AM

thanks thats really good ideas. Didnt think of the traveling aspect but that def makes sense.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Why do you want to move away for just a couple years? I don't think it's worth it unless you plan on living somewhere more than 5 years or something. I always hear from people who left LI that it's really hard to move back, so make sure you pick a place that has an equal cost of living so that it isn't difficult to move back. Just be careful.

We want to explore someone different, but eventually move back bc of our family/friends. I know though if we fall in love with the place we might stay (even though my fiance thinks different...lol)

Old 02-02-2010, 08:59 AM

Well, don't move somewhere south and expect to move back in a few years. The cost of living is much lower down there and it's really hard to move back. Unless you can come back to your job or something, then it'd be fine. I'd move somewhere with a similar cost of living, like LA, San Francisco, Seattle, southeast Florida or something (those are the warm-weathered expensive locations that come to mind).

Old 02-02-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Well, don't move somewhere south and expect to move back in a few years. The cost of living is much lower down there and it's really hard to move back. Unless you can come back to your job or something, then it'd be fine. I'd move somewhere with a similar cost of living, like LA, San Francisco, Seattle, southeast Florida or something (those are the warm-weathered expensive locations that come to mind).
Thats a good point.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:14 AM

10,630 posts, read 23,423,939 times
Wherever you can get a job. Given the terrible job market in southern CA I wouldn't move there without a job lined up right now. Maybe consider somewhere like Texas; I think the job market there is supposed to be pretty good. Somewhere like Houston would be warm and not too far from the coast. (not that I'd want to move anywhere without a job lined up right now, but it's an extra bad idea to head to California without a job at this point in time.)

How about investigating international job opportunities?

Old 02-02-2010, 09:18 AM

Texas' cost of living is much lower than Long Island. It would be extremely difficult to move back here, so avoid that state.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:05 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,423,939 times
I don't agree with the suggestion to avoid a place because it would be hard to move back. The point is to get a change of pace. Texas does have a much lower cost of living, but salaries still seem to be pretty good. Why not move somewhere cheaper, warm, near the beach, with a job, enjoy life, all while building up some savings? If they're moving back to have kids then having some savings built up (to maybe buy a place, take more time off work, whatever) will be extremely helpful.

In any case, I certainly wouldn't avoid adventure just because it might make a potential down-the-road adjustment to higher cost of living difficult. Now where it might become an issue is with salary, but even then the salaries for some field aren't necessarily all that different between cities (despite very different cost of living), and besides, even if the salary elsewhere is lower, when they return to NY they can still point to cost of living calculators to justify an increase in pay.

To the OP: I see you're not thinking of moving until next year, anyway. Do either of you work at a company with offices in other locations? An internal transfer would be the easiest way to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or