Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 12:35 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times

Advertisements

I'll do my old town since I moved recently and have no dirt on my new town lol.

South Jamaica, Queens, NY (NYC/LI).

1. The same corny people everyday, a lot of people just irritated me, like ugh lol.

2. Nothing good within walking distance, most stores are old busted up corner stores, 99 cent stores, chinese food, beauty supply stores, subpar grocery stores, etc. We usually had to shop on Long Island which I didn't mind at all lol.

3. Crime, police sirens literally everyday, hearing gunshots at night, and being woke up by helicopters isn't nice imo. I didn't like being ready to just flip on somebody at the drop of hat.

4. Cleanliness, there's an overflow of garbage, how often NYC garbage trucks come are based on population density. It was one of NYC's least dense neighborhoods so it was filthy for the most part. I can't count how many times I busted my a** on garbage (mostly old newspapers), I remember tripping on a crack pipe trying to get into a car. Like come on.

These are the main things.

Last edited by Infamous92; 05-29-2010 at 12:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 12:42 PM

6,075 posts, read 9,100,962 times
Charleston, WV

fast food resturants in downtown in places that could be used for real development

It's not a big deal but it bugs me to death

I'm a future land developer and I want to build a lifestyle center there---LOL

Old 05-29-2010, 12:47 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,679,267 times
Where I live--

1. I don't like the way people drive...they don't know how to merge, they don't know what signals are, they speed, they tailgate....I think everyone's licenses should be revoked and should be made to start all over with a difficult driving test.

2. There is a major stigma to this city--it's full of trailer park trash, white trash, ghetto people, uneducated people, etc. The city has 70,000 people...it's a convenient suburb, and there's a ton of potential--but people just won't step it up with the times....they're stuck in the 60s when the area thrived off its mills and people were okay with dropping out of school at 16.

3. My favorite restaurant isn't here so I have to drive 30 minutes just to have it...everything is chain food here!

4. I am not a flaming liberal, but I am definitely not a conservative--I feel my bf and I are the only blue people in a sea of deep, deep red...wish there were more of us around here, but I still love my Republican friends, lol

Old 05-29-2010, 08:44 PM

846 posts, read 1,797,469 times
Charleston, SC:

1. No good shopping malls in town. They are small city malls, nothing like you see in a city like Atlanta or Charlotte, and you have to go downtown or shop at crowded Towne Centre to go to any good stores.

2. Annoying drivers. Drivers drive like they have to be in a rush everywhere. Bridges are like racetracks, as people speed as fast as possible.

3. Complainers in the newspaper: Everybody complains about the smallest thing in the newspaper. The big topic the last few days in the newspaper has been the lack of public restrooms in the downtown area. Why don't you just go to a store restroom?

4. People think they are better than everyone else. SNOBs (Slightly North of Broaders) and many people from Park West (a rich suburban area) think that they are better than everyone else, and everyone thinks that they should go to either Summerville or Mt. Pleasant schools (the two best and most crowded school districts in town).

Old 05-30-2010, 09:00 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,302,847 times
Tampa, FL:

-The bubble mentality of the South Tampa area.
-The belief that everything outside of South Tampa is a ghetto.
-The explosion of cheaply-made Mediterranean-styled homes and strip centers.
-City Council's dismissive attitude when it comes to refraining from opening meetings with a prayer.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:25 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,119,217 times
Jacksonville, FL

1.Horrible public transportation-You can't get around without a car in Jacksonville unless you live in Riverside/Avondale, Springfield or any walkable neighborhood where everything's within walking distance.
2.Crime-There's a stigma attached to the Northside that we're some ghetto, crime-ridden warzone. The minute a shooting or murder takes place on the Northside, people are like "It's the Northside, what you expect?" Little do they realize that they higher-crime areas of Northside are to the east and west of 95 in the numbered streets above 15. Also, many of the higher-crime areas are in NW Jacksonville, but the news never makes that distinction. There are good, law-abiding citizens that live in NW and North Jax but it's the riff-raff that messes it up for everyone. If you live on the Southside, people assume you're in heaven but as I stated before, many North/NW Jacksonville criminals are coming to the Southside robbing Southsiders. I will admit, the Northside has it's crime issues but it's concentrated in the inner-city neighborhoods.

That's it for me.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:18 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Lexington, KY

1. People interpret a "merge" sign as meaning run everyone off the road until the pavement ends - it's really like a NASCAR restart if the merge is just after a red light

2. Too many traffic signals close together everywhere - I mean every 0.10 miles on many corridors.

3. Elementary & middle school district lines are extremely irrational and they change them constantly. In my neighborhood ele. school kids are bused 6 miles away, driving past 2 closer schools en route!

4. The merge on ramps on the city's beltline (New Circle Road) are very short - they usually end right at freeway (no buffer room to merge at highway speed). It cause backups because most NCR traffic gets in the left lane if a bunch of cars are merging.

5. Huge potholes everywhere. You'd think this place got hit by a meteor shower
All of this sounds like Memphis. I'm so guilty of participating in the first one

Old 06-02-2010, 07:06 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Long Branch, NJ:

Potholes, and bad plowing in the winter.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:31 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,104,585 times
Victor Valley(Victorville, Hesperia, Apple Valley), CA

-No usable side-road network, all roads eventually feed onto the three main thoroughfares due to obstacles like the BNSF/UPRR tracks, Mojave River, and 15 freeway slicing the entire area into three.

Normally this wouldn't be much of a problem for me on bicycle, but all the shortcut/avoiding main road options are hindered by the challenges each of the respective obstacles represent:

Tracks- railroad Nazis(police) enforcing right-of-way trespassing to the fullest extent.
Undercrossings being filled with quicksand and such after rain.
Getting hit by a train is off the list, unless you're cracked out or drunk as a skunk, or tired of life and don't care about the train.

Freeway- Yeah, I'll shoulder my bike and run across. Not.

Riverbed- Not much of a problem, except most of the accessible points not involving falling and breaking bones(too many sharp drops) involve cutting across gated property lining each side of the riverbed.

Ultimately, I just take my chances riding along with traffic.
If someone wants to cause drama due to myself not driving a car, cuffs on the wrists is better than stretcher on my back.

-Wind, just too much of it blowing on any given day.
(If I didn't have to deal with #1, I'd take this any day.)

-Lack of transport options up/down the Cajon Pass.
The Amtrak only has the Southwest Chief that comes through once a day, Greyhound is just as useless.
This leaves either getting rides from friends, or renting a car as the only option to doing business down the hill.

I would attempt to ride my bicycle down the Cajon Pass in the legal areas, but once you leave the freeway at Cleghorn Rd, it's a jungle down there.
It'd be safer for me if full-on open-carry was enabled, but then I'd probably have then entire SBSO on my collective glute.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:58 AM

36 posts, read 90,018 times
Des Moines, IA:

- Some of the people that I meet in this "city" are so ridiculously naïve that I want to shake my head at them and walk away. I've meat at least ten people who have only left the state of Iowa once or twice their entire lives.
- People really overrate their "downtown" of two whole buildings. I remember hearing a girl say once "I love downtown Des Moines, it's almost as good as New York!" There are maybe two pedestrians out on the streets and everything shuts down at five.
- There's only three large builders in the entire area. That wouldn't be a big problem except for literally ALL new development is the same few ugly, plastic houses with no character.
- Me: "Why don't we just walk there, it's only a block away." Iowan: "Why would anyone want to walk that far when we could drive?"
- Even though everyone drives everywhere, people's idea of what is a "long" commute is so ridiculous it makes me laugh. If it's more than twenty minutes away- it's not worth going to.
- Why do NW 86th ST and NW 62nd ST intersect? I've always suspected that the person who mapped out the streets was high or something.
- The State Fair. Everyone is totally obsessed with it for reasons I can't understand. I went once to it and wanted to throw up at the sight of fat grizzly men and their families chomping down on deep fried Snickers bars on a stick.
- You know it's bad when everyone says the Cheesecake Factory is the "fanciest" restaurant in town.
- Everything in the area to me is just so unoriginal and plain. I know some people love it and I admire them for loving their hometown. Des Moines is just not for me. I crave more sophistication and a big city atmosphere. Thankfully I'm moving to Chicago in two months.

Last edited by JPits312; 06-04-2010 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.