U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2007, 04:03 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,881,941 times

Advertisements

Hi, I like this forum because I would like to move to another place. As my handle implies, I grew up in DC all my life and am still here. I've visited other places, such as Kentucky, San Diego, Boston, etc .. and I find that people are more friendly and open than those in DC. Even NYC is friendlier than DC, IMHO. No offense intended to those who are in DC, though.

I would like to move out to a city that is more laid back, and isn't involved with politics which I am tired of. I'm a single male, and I would like to go to a city where there are decent single women who are educated, classy, personable, and lots of good personality traits. Believe it or not, I find such women difficult to find in DC - despite it's high ranking in the list of best cities for singles. I find that listing very suspect anyway, because many young people in DC are single FOR a reason. Just because a city is highly regarded as a place for singles doesn't mean it is easy to find a mate, or even better, a long lasting relationship. Just my 2 cents, though.

I also want to live in a place where there are expanding employment prospects for the scientific and information field, and where real estate is at least manageable for a young person like me. I'm 27, going on 28 in the fall. I don't have a full-time job yet, and am actively looking. The irony is that I want to move out, but most job openings that I can find are either in DC, or in the middle of nowhere in a tiny town in the midwest. For example, I don't mind moving to Kansas City, but not to a small town like Wichita. I do want to move to a more mellow city, but I still want to live in/near a decent sized city because I like to have things to do.

I hope I've come to the right place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 05:32 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,192,417 times
Welcome, DC.
Although not a native, may I recommend Chicago? Has everything (and then some) which DC and other big NE cities have, just less pretentious and much more welcoming.

Best wishes@!

Old 05-28-2007, 06:02 PM

75 posts, read 324,829 times
Hello,

If you find a job in Kansas City, take a look at these websites:

VisitKC.com | Kansas City Official Travel Source - Kansas City Hotels, Restaurants, Shops, Attractions

Since you are in your 20's, do you like music/dance? KC is great for Jazz/Blues: Kansas City Clubs and Venues featuring Live Jazz Music

KC also has a very large dance scene as well. (But don't worry; there are tons of classes available like - kcswingdance.org.)

If you are more into sports, check out:
Kansas City Kansas Golf Course Information - Municipal, Public & Private Golf Courses - Earn Rewards at LastMinuteGolfer.com
Home - Kansas Speedway

We also have the Kansas City Chiefs, Royals, and the Brigade (Arena Football).

Thanks,
Ronda Marchant

Old 05-28-2007, 06:43 PM

2,072 posts, read 11,087,369 times
Come to Long Beach.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:35 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,881,941 times
Chicago is near the top of my places-to-move-to list, I've heard good things about it but want to visit at least once.

Kansas City isn't one of my top preferences, but I recently applied for a job there. So we'll see. I think I'm gonna stay here in DC at least until October.

Long beach? I'm not interested in living in/near Los Angeles, but I do love the beach and San Deigo is high on my list.

Thank you for your quick responses!

Old 06-20-2007, 08:11 PM

95 posts, read 1,200,074 times
Dallas sounds right up your alley. Beautiful women with curves in all the right places and sweet. The women actually have bodies that are toned but not skinny. Lots up top, too. It's progressive and the job market is wide open. Try surrounding areas like Richardson, Fort Worth, Plano, and Denton.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:30 PM

442 posts, read 1,941,276 times
Check out Tulsa, OK. Although conservative, the housing is affordable and the job market is great. Very low unemployment rate and lots of progressive businesses. Oklahoma City is a good choice if you are more liberal. Lots of college girls... think Carrie Underwood.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:48 PM

442 posts, read 1,941,276 times
Oh, you would probably like St. Louis, too.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:41 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,852,535 times
Smile Nice to meet you, DC

'I also want to live in a place where there are expanding employment prospects for the scientific and information field, and where real estate is at least manageable for a young person like me. I'm 27, going on 28 in the fall. I don't have a full-time job yet, and am actively looking. '

'I would like to move out to a city that is more laid back, and isn't involved with politics which I am tired of. I'm a single male, and I would like to go to a city where there are decent single women who are educated, classy, personable, and lots of good personality traits. Believe it or not, I find such women difficult to find in DC -

~~~
The pp's have made some good suggestions. Chicago, Kansas City, Dallas--interesting places.

I'm in Atlanta. As a native I see the good and the bad and enjoy living here. The Intown/Midtown area is really nice--good for young professionals.

--Career opportunities --the area north of Atlanta--Alpharetta is a boom town for IT industry.
--According to the hoardes moving to Georgia--real estate prices are good. Plenty of 20/30 something professionals and places to mix and mingle.

--I wouldn't describe Atlanta as 'laid back' at this point. Frenzied/frantic/obsessed---very anal. Cough--many corporations here.
Along with that goes a heaping serving of politics.

--There are educated/decent single women here--no problem there and they are not that difficult to meet. All kinds of opportunites for civic involvement and many meet through religious beliefs.

Come for a visit and see for yourself.
:-)
sls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or