Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the friendliest southern state?
Alabama 3 4.55%
Arkansas 2 3.03%
Georgia 6 9.09%
Florida 3 4.55%
Mississippi 7 10.61%
South Carolina 7 10.61%
North Carolina 5 7.58%
Virginia 1 1.52%
Kentucky 2 3.03%
Louisiana 2 3.03%
Tennessee 13 19.70%
Oklahoma 4 6.06%
Texas 11 16.67%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 06:14 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,186,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Yeah, I have to say that Mississippi was almost like stepping back to a time and place so beautiful it was unreal. The kindness I encountered in northern Mississippi, from men and women, white and black, was incredible.

Love the Magnolia State.
My brother spent last summer selling books in Mississippi. He had "mixed" feelings about the "friendliness" of the state. He said some where very nice, some where very rude, and some where downright racist. Although, he did say the blacks in Mississippi where over all much friendlier and welcoming than the whites (and my brother is white BTW).

Old 02-08-2010, 06:21 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,731,967 times
since i know somebody is gonna say i'm being negative about the south, i will post something positive about it:

-lots and lots of green everywhere
-the south in the spring and the fall is beautiful
-the weather is great in the winter, fall and spring

and as for a positive experience:

a few of my relatives and i were down south one time. a man with a confederate flag tattoo on his arm (and he had sleeves by the way...tattoo sleeves, i mean) hops out of a pickup truck and walks in the same direction that we were walking in. we were going to the same department store.

we're black. he's white. (race doesn't matter but in this case i want to point something out)

he holds the door open for my grandmother.

my grandmother was in her late 60's at the time. this guy was in his 30's or so. my grandmother drank out of a colored water fountain...remembers when mlk was assassinated. was there before the civil rights movement. etc. getting a door held open by a white man that by most ppl's judgement would be called a redneck based on his appearance.

so the south has positive points and has ppl that are genuinely nice.

we looked very northern because of what we were wearing (coats, etc in the spring), he heard us speak so he had to know that we were from nyc, he wasn't blind so he saw what race we are, etc.

god bless america on that note.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:53 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,637,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
can you post without taking a shot at the NE?? just once?

also, this isn't aimed at any one person but is there anybody from the north with a positive opinion on the south and southern hospitality that doesn't use the word:

dixie
yankee
yankeeland
dixie land
belle

etc.???? just curious...
i have never heard a person from the north in my entire life use any of those words. it just makes me think that some ppl aren't really from the north at all here...either that or they have an infatuation with how they think the south is.
i've never even heard of a person in real life use those words in the south, to be quite honest. not even elderly men and women. you have got to be around ppl that are REALLY "country," i mean outhouse in 2010 country to hear those words used reguarly like some ppl here use them.
I wasn't taking a shot at anyone - Just calling it how I see it. I believe I've earned the right to speak the truth.

The truth is that you seem a bit obsessed with what terminology someone uses as opposed to what they are saying. What does it matter if people from the North use phrases that you don't commonly hear?

Citydata is a very unique forum...

Old 02-08-2010, 07:03 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,731,967 times
Quote:
I wasn't taking a shot at anyone - Just calling it how I see it. I believe I've earned the right to speak the truth.

The truth is that you seem a bit obsessed with what terminology someone uses as opposed to what they are saying. What does it matter if people from the North use phrases that you don't commonly hear?

Citydata is a very unique forum...
first off, this is what you said:

Quote:
Hmm, I have seen many of Dixie's fine states now and each one has a certain unique flavor,but none have ever come off as impolite or brisk (in the way that is generally accepted as commonplace in the Northeast).
and that is a shot. that is your opinion. it is not fact and it damn sure isn't truth. surely you do not think that ppl in the NE are not only rude but stupid as well?

i'm just calling it like i see it as well. some ppl can't answer a question without throwing a shot at a region that has nothing to do with the question/topic at hand.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:26 PM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
Quote:
can you post without taking a shot at the NE?? just once?

also, this isn't aimed at any one person but is there anybody from the north with a positive opinion on the south and southern hospitality that doesn't use the word:

dixie
yankee
yankeeland
dixie land
belle

etc.???? just curious...
i have never heard a person from the north in my entire life use any of those words. it just makes me think that some ppl aren't really from the north at all here...either that or they have an infatuation with how they think the south is.
i've never even heard of a person in real life use those words in the south, to be quite honest. not even elderly men and women. you have got to be around ppl that are REALLY "country," i mean outhouse in 2010 country to hear those words used reguarly like some ppl here use them.
The answer to the second riddle is Yes.

I'm a native of New England and we often times refer to ourselves as Yankees. Lived in Maine and heard that phrase from time to time. Connecticut? Same thing.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
first off, this is what you said:

and that is a shot. that is your opinion. it is not fact and it damn sure isn't truth. surely you do not think that ppl in the NE are not only rude but stupid as well?

i'm just calling it like i see it as well. some ppl can't answer a question without throwing a shot at a region that has nothing to do with the question/topic at hand.
Actually, it has quite a bit to do with. The Northeast and the South are the two areas of the nation I'm most familiar with. Growing up in the Northeast, I have experienced a lot here and often try to compare and contrast my experiences in Northern NJ/the NYC metropolitan area with my experiences in the South. It's nothing to take personally and nothing to get defensive over. The two regions are entirely different in attitude, feel, history, culture, etc.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:57 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
How about we have a thread about a time honored tradition in our time honored southern states. I personally have never been down south (the true blue deep south really). But, where I live I have known a couple southern families (one from here, but spent a considerable ammount of time in Georgia) that eminated a certain charm to them. And I will happen to be visiting Mississippi soon.

Some say it is fake, which may be the case with some, but one cannot deny that with the rural heritage of the south and it's true Christian values that it is indeed special in a way that it is much friendlier than other regions of the U.S.

What are your experiences? Please share! This is going to be a positive thread, that's right we're going to try and have a positive!
I can't really vote on your poll, you left out the state that invented the mint julep.
Greenbrier Culinary Community: The Story of The Mint Julep

Old 02-08-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
I can't really vote on your poll, you left out the state that invented the mint julep.
Greenbrier Culinary Community: The Story of The Mint Julep
I have to say that until I read your posts, Bobilee, I thought, despite its famed status, that I was the only one who truly enjoyed mint juleps .

Lord above, they are so refreshing in the summer.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:31 AM

871 posts, read 1,630,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I have never lived in the South but have spent time in Atlanta. New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Dallas, San Antonio & Tampa Bay- bigger cities. Generally I would say the people are particularly outgoing, friendly & gregarious. They may be more prone to being cliquey or less aware of other cultures/ places, but Southerners in my opinion are generally among the friendliest in the world and I have traveled many countries. If you do not think Southerners are hospitable- well, you haven't been to Europe or Asia (except Thailand- that place is truly hospitable)!
Even within the US, I find people from the South were more hospitable and definitely friendlier than people on the West Coast or East Coast or even Canada. The only other region that may be a contender is the Midwest- I found people in Minneapolis to be shockingly nice too.

There is truth to Southern Hospitality- in the sense of friendly outgoing people- if not, why would the term be deemed in the first place?
you are getting some context confused though. this perception, of course, is also going to depend on who you are as well. you mention europe or asia but an asian may not feel they are as comfortable in the south as much as someone who is caucasian or african-american. so it will also depend on who you are as to your experience and perception.

i do personally agree with the general poll though. i did find tennessee people to be rather friendly and also texans but only in major cities as the outlying areas are more prejudiced. i think alabama and north carolina and some parts of florida are not friendly and very prejudiced. and as reflected in the poll, south carolinians are more friendly and less prejudiced than even north carolinians which is interesting possibly because north carolinians are southerners with more arrogance. the poll is overall pretty accurate on this one.

i think the very northern states are pretty friendly and neutral. wisconsin, minnesota, and washington was very friendly and so was upstate new york. vermont and new hampshire are nice. I do not like maryland at all.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:13 AM

749 posts, read 2,438,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
In my experience southerners are friendly until the 'yankees' move in. Then it isn't pretty.
I'm a Southerner and have neighbors from Ohio, New York, and Maine to name a few and we watch each others backs and help each other and get along fine.

Now if someone comes down acting all pompous and pretentious like they are better than everybody else, they'll be on an island real quick. It's all about how one carries theirself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.