Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the friendliest southern state?
Alabama 3 4.55%
Arkansas 2 3.03%
Georgia 6 9.09%
Florida 3 4.55%
Mississippi 7 10.61%
South Carolina 7 10.61%
North Carolina 5 7.58%
Virginia 1 1.52%
Kentucky 2 3.03%
Louisiana 2 3.03%
Tennessee 13 19.70%
Oklahoma 4 6.06%
Texas 11 16.67%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 01:11 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksharp View Post
The town I moved too had about 30,000...and it wasn't a good experience. The part I absolutely loved about the South was the beautiful land...so many undeveloped acres! Beautiful! It's just that some of the attitudes I found to be quite backwards. To a large extent, it seemed as if people were still fighting the civil war. Again, maybe it was just the area I was in...but it was what it was, ya know?
Well I grew up in a military town in TN so there were people from all over. They seemed to get along fine with the locals, maybe because the locals were so used to having non-natives in their town. Sometimes I got the feeling that the military folks looked down on the locals though, but that's just me.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:19 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,831,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Well I grew up in a military town in TN so there were people from all over. They seemed to get along fine with the locals, maybe because the locals were so used to having non-natives in their town. Sometimes I got the feeling that the military folks looked down on the locals though, but that's just me.

That's probably it...if they were used to having non-natives it wasn't a big deal to them. My situation was kinda weird...a new auto factory opened up in a small rural town in Tennessee. The locals were told by their politicians that this plant would offer jobs (for the locals). But, the auto plant brought in most of their help from outside the state instead which created a lot of hard feelings on the part of the locals. Actually, I don't blame them for being angry when their politicians told them one thing and another thing happened.

But...the auto plant had a lot of laid off union employees in other states that they were contractually required to offer the jobs to before any locals were hired. The thing is that the local resentment was displaced toward the autoworkers and their families who moved to town instead of their local politicians. There was outright hatred from the locals for anyone who worked at this factory. We were "carpetbaggers".

Old 02-10-2010, 03:15 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
when I was in the South, I came into contact with lots of friendly people, I love to be around people with manners, Im from a small town so Im use to friendly easy going people.

living here in Albuquerque, I have come to experience East Coast people, by this I mean Northeasterners, they are some of the rudest people I have ever met, I am surprised at the way these people act, they are rude and lack manners. Of course not every person from the NE is like that but the majority that I have interacted with are, we dont get along very well. I have met two different people from MA and they were very nice, thats what I like to see.

I have come to know a couple people from the Midwest and they seem like your average good people.

but every region has their good and bad, some areas just have more bad and some have more good.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:17 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
when I was in the South, I came into contact with lots of friendly people, I love to be around people with manners, Im from a small town so Im use to friendly easy going people.

living here in Albuquerque, I have come to experience East Coast people, by this I mean Northeasterners, they are some of the rudest people I have ever met, I am surprised at the way these people act, they are rude and lack manners. Of course not every person from the NE is like that but the majority that I have interacted with are, we dont get along very well. I have met two different people from MA and they were very nice, thats what I like to see.

I have come to know a couple people from the Midwest and they seem like your average good people.

but every region has their good and bad, some areas just have more bad and some have more good.
This sounds pretty accurate. Cultural differences seem to breed a different mindset among many millions of Americans. The drive to respect your fellow man or be respectful of all isn't really prized in the Northeast. On the contrary, in places like New York and Connecticut, neighbors are seen as people to challenge, competitors only. Friendly greetings bring out suspicion. Even close neighbors are seen as an obstruction to profit. It's all about the economic snobbery and Darwinian mentality taken to the extreme in the tri-state area.

The NJ/NY state motto should be: "Only the rich survive".

Sad to live in a place where simple concepts like common decency and a middle class have become alien.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:40 AM

8,040 posts, read 10,632,364 times
I think the whole "Southern Hospitality" thing is a cliche right along with the south having a "Slower Pace of Life". I have met transplants from the New England states down here that are extremely friendly and engaging. I think that Southerners are generally more outgoing and talkative than Northerners are. However, that doesn't necessarily translate to them wanting to be your "best buddy", take you under their wing, or help you out when you need it anymore than anyone from anywhere else would. Speaking to you or "waving" at you down here is just considered good manners, you can't read much more into it than that.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:46 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,008,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksharp View Post
That's probably it...if they were used to having non-natives it wasn't a big deal to them. My situation was kinda weird...a new auto factory opened up in a small rural town in Tennessee. The locals were told by their politicians that this plant would offer jobs (for the locals). But, the auto plant brought in most of their help from outside the state instead which created a lot of hard feelings on the part of the locals. Actually, I don't blame them for being angry when their politicians told them one thing and another thing happened.

But...the auto plant had a lot of laid off union employees in other states that they were contractually required to offer the jobs to before any locals were hired. The thing is that the local resentment was displaced toward the autoworkers and their families who moved to town instead of their local politicians. There was outright hatred from the locals for anyone who worked at this factory. We were "carpetbaggers".
A "carpetbagger" was a name used during Reconstruction in the 1870s where northerners would bag up their belongings, bank on the destruction and the occupational governments controlling the southern states and then they got all the money they wanted they headed back up to Ohio, or New York or whatever. In essence they didn't contribute to anything they just benefitted from the Army holding down the south at the end of a gun, they just "violated" their communities so to speak. In modern times I would imagine it would a word meaning someone who came from up north or California to make money and be snub and to hell everyone else.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:40 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,103 times
Quote:
A "carpetbagger" was a name used during Reconstruction in the 1870s where northerners would bag up their belongings, bank on the destruction and the occupational governments controlling the southern states and then they got all the money they wanted they headed back up to Ohio, or New York or whatever. In essence they didn't contribute to anything they just benefitted from the Army holding down the south at the end of a gun, they just "violated" their communities so to speak. In modern times I would imagine it would a word meaning someone who came from up north or California to make money and be snub and to hell everyone else.
And if the folks I hear from here are any indication, that would apply to a clear majority.

Money is vital to survival in modern American society, but there are more important things than the accumulation and hoarding of wealth. Why live somewhere you hate?

Old 02-10-2010, 06:49 PM

6 posts, read 3,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
agreed, except i'd have to add "white southerner thing."

i have to be honest and say that the only ppl that i've seen/heard/read using outdated terms like belle, dixie, yankee, yankeeland, etc. are old white ppl on city data.
Well I use those "outdated" terms. And I am neither old nor white. We even have businesses with the name dixie in them. For example Winn-Dixie and the Dixie Gas Company (Gas company is only in VA, I believe)

As a matter of fact, I've dated a guy who hails from NYC. He said he had always wanted to date a southern belle. He wasn't white or old either.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:30 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,721,284 times
I've never been to Tennessee but find it interesting that it seems to be the most hospitable.

I don't know what is fully encompassed by "Southern Hospitality," but I have noticed from visiting North Carolina, North Florida and Virginia a lot that Southerners tend to be friendlier, will hold doors for you, say "good morning" (afternoon, night etc), and even start random conversations with complete strangers--things you won't see here in DC.

For all the postitive things about the area, people are as cold as hell here. It's custom for people to ignore each other on the Metro, elevators, on the street etc. Must be the climate ...

Old 02-11-2010, 01:59 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
I've never been to Tennessee but find it interesting that it seems to be the most hospitable.

I don't know what is fully encompassed by "Southern Hospitality," but I have noticed from visiting North Carolina, North Florida and Virginia a lot that Southerners tend to be friendlier, will hold doors for you, say "good morning" (afternoon, night etc), and even start random conversations with complete strangers--things you won't see here in DC.

For all the postitive things about the area, people are as cold as hell here. It's custom for people to ignore each other on the Metro, elevators, on the street etc. Must be the climate ...
I've always found the D.C.-Baltimore area to be have friendly people. It has never seemed to be any different than any other city in that respect.

People on subways aren't usually inclined to talk to strangers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.