U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2010, 04:46 PM

164 posts, read 399,325 times

Advertisements

Hi all
Ive been reading these forums for weeks...absolutely brilliant! Lots of great info
ANYHOOOO...Im a scottish lass looking to move to USA in the near future with my hubby and two girls (13 & 10). Im an Occupational therapist and my hubby is a field service x-ray engineer. I've lived and worked in Florida in 1994/95 as an OT but moved back home after a year. However we have vacationed there as a family ever since. Kids love it!
Apparently there is a real shortage of therapists over in the states just now...I popped my resume onto a few websites and literally got bombarded with emails and calls from recruiters! So I have to say, Ive got the travelling bug again and feel the need to try somewhere really different. Not to mention Im really hacked off with UK right now what with getting taxed to the bloomin' hilt!! We've got GORDON BROWN to thank for that! And the weather is just NOT getting any better now is it?!?! (question to fellow brits!)

It would seem I can get an Eb2 visa if Hubby is unable to get his own H1B so that would help greatly but does take time to process.
Our problem is we can't decide where we want to go! We love florida but part of us feels "been there, done that " and we want to see & experience new things. Kids would love to go to California and we've been doing loads of research for there too. We also have friends in California (who are also brits)..they live in Burbank LA and are having the time of their lives as a family unit. However the cost of living seems absolutely extortionate and really off putting!
Schools in California and Florida dont seem to be getting rave reviews either which is disappointing and offputting.
We've also looked at Texas which seems to be doing really well economically but climate looks really REALLY REALLY hot?
We can apparently move anywhere in the US given the shortage of OT's there with positions aplenty in all states. But we're like kids in a sweetie shop...dont know where to go!!
SO...Im afraid im going to post a very sweeping and generalised question!! I also know its been asked before (from my hours of reading these forums!)

If you could live in any state , which one would it be?

Some of the more important things for us are being able to afford somewhere nice to live, a nice house (with pool!..OH i WANNA POOL!), good schools good shopping lots to see and do and good weather! (dont necessarily need that all year round but a bit of sunshine in the summer would be nice!..given we've had nowt but rain and snow in 2009!) We also dont want to find ourselves skint at the end of each month so somewhere with a half reasonable & affordable cost of living would be nice. We will have a joint income of around $130,000 initially (coz recruiters whack a chunk off my first year's salary..pah!!)

Many thanks all in advance for any comments/advice

Last edited by Tootsfromscotland; 02-08-2010 at 04:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 05:45 PM

2,996 posts, read 4,753,652 times
I moved to northern Florida from northern Illinois last year, and love it here. The people are very friendly and making friends was easy . Florida does get beastly hot and humid from June thru September and coming from Scotland, youre going to really feel it till you get acclimated to it . That might take a few summers. Other than Florida, I could see myself being happy living on the Texas coastline in a small town or the Carolinas along the coast . But definitely , The South.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:38 PM

1,343 posts, read 4,578,445 times
Hi toots! Visited Fife last May and loved it!

I'm not familiar with Texas and would not consider Louisiana or Mississippi. If I had to choose a place to live in the southeastern US, with which I am familiar, these would be my choices:

1) St. Augustine, FL St Augustine Florida

2) Charlotte, NC Charlotte North Carolina Visitor Information - Charlotte NC

3) St. Simons Island, Ga St. Simons Island, Georgia- Golden Isles Navigator

Good luck in your quest!

Old 02-13-2010, 12:41 PM

443 posts, read 1,070,615 times
If you want:

"being able to afford somewhere nice to live, a nice house (with pool!..OH i WANNA POOL!), good schools good shopping lots to see and do and good weather! (dont necessarily need that all year round but a bit of sunshine in the summer would be nice!..given we've had nowt but rain and snow in 2009!) We also dont want to find ourselves skint at the end of each month so somewhere with a half reasonable & affordable cost of living would be nice"

Have you thought about the Southwest? Parts of Utah, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, Colorado and Texas fit your description. There are a number of locations in this area that really don't get all that hot - Albuquerque for example reaches about 35C in the summer. Santa Fe reaches maybe 31. And there is basically NO humidity.

Many places in this area are cheap to live in, have many housing options, a variety of good schools, not bad to very good shopping, and AMAZING outdoor opportunities. I'm British and I live in New Mexico and I was never an outdoors person til I came here!

Don't get a pool though if you move to the desert. We need the water for more important things.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:25 PM

thanks for replies guys Will look into all those areas

Old 02-16-2010, 12:03 PM

1,323 posts, read 2,376,530 times
Look at Tampa Bay Area.
Lots of choices for schools (public). Excellent university system and can be very inexpensive for residents, which your children will be if you are on visas. we moved here from uk and can only say good things about education, our daughter is doing really well at FSU and son heading for college this year too. Great people, lovely weather, safe environment, near to beaches, decent house prices (just now at least) cost of living is not cheap but its ok, no state income tax - look out for that in other states.
Good luck to you. Get a proper immigration attorney an AILA member - I can recommend if you want one, but I am sure you have already looked into this.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:00 PM

24 posts, read 31,496 times
I would recommend the Southeast US, particularly NC, TN, and southern VA. Your salary would fit in well in those areas.

You're right; TX is HOT though it has a good economy.

The Southeast has many people (including me) of Scottish ancestry which might make you feel more at home. There are a number of Highland Games/Scottish Festivals all over the Southeast as well.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:23 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,097,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg II View Post
Hi toots! Visited Fife last May and loved it!

I'm not familiar with Texas and would not consider Louisiana or Mississippi. If I had to choose a place to live in the southeastern US, with which I am familiar, these would be my choices:

1) St. Augustine, FL St Augustine Florida

2) Charlotte, NC Charlotte North Carolina Visitor Information - Charlotte NC

3) St. Simons Island, Ga St. Simons Island, Georgia- Golden Isles Navigator

Good luck in your quest!
Why, may I ask?

People too often write off entire states with a stroke of the pen (or keyboard, as it were)

Old 02-19-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender View Post
Look at Tampa Bay Area.
Lots of choices for schools (public). Excellent university system and can be very inexpensive for residents, which your children will be if you are on visas. we moved here from uk and can only say good things about education, our daughter is doing really well at FSU and son heading for college this year too. Great people, lovely weather, safe environment, near to beaches, decent house prices (just now at least) cost of living is not cheap but its ok, no state income tax - look out for that in other states.
Good luck to you. Get a proper immigration attorney an AILA member - I can recommend if you want one, but I am sure you have already looked into this.
Hi there Lavender thanks for that yep the recruiter and employer I'll be going through does all the immigration stuff Its reassuring to hear that the education system is good. We are heading over to Florida in April and might look at some houses....care to give us some ideas about where we could/should look?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or