U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2007, 11:19 AM

88 posts, read 356,029 times

Advertisements

I'd say TEXAS! BUT, don't move there if you're worried about illegal competition. 35% of Texas is hispanic, and most of those hispanics are probably illegal immigrants. He might have some success in Dallas/Fort Worth, Austin, or Houston, but those are going to be among the most densely populated metro areas in the world within the next 25-30 years. Do you all want that in the long run?

There are nice places in the South where you can enjoy warm weather, steady (but not overwhelming growth,) and not have to worry about competition from ILLEGAL workers. Try Tennessee--Nashville, Memphis, Clarksville, and Knoxville are all thriving, growing areas. Same with Southhaven/Desoto County, Mississippi, just outside of Memphis. Or, try South Carolina--the upcountry region around Greenville and Spartanburg is booming, but again, it's on the same I-85 corridor as Charlotte, and you have to factor in the whole NY/NJ/northeast transplant deal again. Even Huntsville, Alabama is nice.

All of these areas are beautiful and clean and haven't lost their Southern identity and heritage--yet. I foresee these areas to grow for a LONG period of time.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 05:00 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,667,587 times
My research on Missouri has told me the weather is not dissimilar to what we have where I live, in central NJ. Some snow but severe storms are unusual. Missouri does tend to get more ice storms, and some pretty fierce electrical storms. One native warned me, the lightening will rattle the glass in your windows! I don't know much about St. Louis, I believe the city itself has high crime but the 'burbs are reasonable. I have only been to St. Louis once and I thought it was charming.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:36 PM

75 posts, read 324,818 times
On my way home today, the lightening was beautiful! Very striking (pun intended) ;p But storms usually roll through pretty quickly. I spoke with someone from Georgia today who stated they haven't had any rain for over a month and are on water restrictions!!

The major ice storm we had impacted parts of the Kansas City a couple of years ago. It allowed several days to spend time with family plus we didn't have to work

There is not much crime in Kansas City as there is in St. Louis. And the "burbs are reasonable" here too.

Thanks,
Ronda Marchant

Old 05-30-2007, 07:53 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,761,217 times
There are actually really nice parts of St. L. Not just the suburbs. Look in Forest Park area, CWE, et. cetera. It's population is small, but the city was built for 800,000 and is just as urban as alot of Chicago. Prices are relatively reasonable. Kansas City is also very nice. Less urban. Again, Missouri prices, not Brklyn. NIce downtown, museums, and the likes. A very enjoyable place. I would put a vote in for my hometown of Mpls., but prices are alot higher here. Chicago has alot more illegals than you would think. I would also look into Cincinnati, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Phila., Milwaukee if you liked the urbanity of Brklyn. This may push it for a bona fide southerner, but they are not like NYC or Boston for yankeeness. These places are also more reasonably priced. The best of luck on your search
-----Minnehahapolitan

Old 02-23-2009, 03:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,794 times
PORTLAND MAINE!!!!!!!!! may be a little cold in the winter, but man its beautiful. Fresh lobsters, salty breeze, beautiful summer, and always a white xmas. I LOVE IT. i live in Venice, CA right now. its cool, VERY expensive, not worth it to me. Plus i hate the whole hollywood scene. sooo cheesy i want to vomit. so yeah, move to Maine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or