U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 02:00 PM

39 posts, read 190,511 times

Advertisements

Ok, here's the scoop....my fiance & I have moved alot in the last few years and are ready to unpack everything for good! We met in Louisiana (where I'm from, but he's a born & bred Yankee He was only there visiting his sister) and moved to Florida (I went to high school there, but it has changed for the worse in the last 10 years), we then moved to Brooklyn NY and loved it, but knew it was a temp. situation (we would have stayed, but can't afford to buy a house/apt. there) so we decided to pick a neutral location for both of us, that was geographically in the middle, with affordable housing and good weather, thinking it would be the best of both worlds. So we bought a house in Charlotte, NC... Wrong! We hate it here! The people CANNOT drive so it makes traffic hideous. (This coming from someone that just left Brooklyn!) Everyone is friendly, but they are also from NY or NJ so I don't think it really has anything to do with NC. The weather is nice, I'll give it that, but we need more than just nice weather. The main problem we have here is the HUGE number of illegal immigrants. It's not that we're racist, but rather that my fiance is in the flooring business and it makes it hard to get work if they are plenty of crews that will do it for half the money he gets paid. So, where should be go?

Here's the main info:

We're in our 20's and like to have things to do & see, but don't need a "bar or club scene" b/c we are really only occasional/social drinkers

We don't have any, or plan to have any children, so school's aren't really a factor

We aren't TOO picky about the weather. I don't want to have to shovel my car out of 12 ft of snow every morning, but some snow is fine and he can't take the humidity in the South, at least not the "Deep South"

We own a house now and would like to buy another, but we don't mind renting and saving for awhile b/c right now we could only afford about $100,000-$150,000 , which might get you a crack shack up North, maybe, if you're lucky

He's in the flooring business (ceramic tile is his specialty, but he does wood & carpet occasionally, they don't pay as well though) He'll get his lisence & insurance wherever we go that's not a major factor, but we need somewhere he will stay busy, get decent pay (anywhere from $4 to $8 a sq. foot in normal), and not have alot of "illegal" competition

Those are the main things.... Cool things to do and see, weather that isn't too extreme either way, good for a skilled trade/ tile guy, and affordable enough that we can rent for $1000 or less. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 02:21 PM

1,965 posts, read 5,857,938 times
"HUGE number of illegal immigrants. It's not that we're racist, but rather that my fiance is in the flooring business and it makes it hard to get work if they are plenty of crews"

This is going to limit your choices significantly. Several states in the Midwest have lower illegal immigrants, but they may not have the booming housing community that will be good for your husband. Most booming states see an influx of illegals b/c of construction. Your husband is young enough that he might want to consider changing careers and/or becoming a contractor himself and hire illegals.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:23 PM

81 posts, read 301,496 times
I would recommend Nashville and Indianapolis.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:07 PM

20,005 posts, read 70,205,231 times
Chicagoland. Lots of booming suburbs, good pay, but there are also still affordable towns on the outskirts of the suburbs (ie Elburn, Sycamore, etc).

Last edited by Steve-o; 05-29-2007 at 03:20 PM..

Old 05-29-2007, 03:13 PM

Yeah, we've talked about a career change. He wants to go back to the NE but the winter's are slow with work and it's so expensive. Our "NO list" is Nevada, Arizona, NM, Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oaklahoma, Kansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, SC, NC, Virginia, WV,
What's left is either in the middle of nowhere, or is really cold & expensive! We thought about Tennessee, but I'm worried it's still "too Southern" for my fiance. Neither one of us like the "cookie-cutter" neighborhoods and the fact that everything is too spread out & "strip mall-ish" in the South.
Our "Maybe list" is Washington (I'm worried about the constant rain), Oregon (ditto), Colorado, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, maybe Pennsylvania.... I don't know much about North/South Dakota, WY, MI, MN or most of the mid/north west really! Why is this so hard!? Thanks for your replies...Anyone else have a suggestion? I just need some general ideas, we'll research the Hell out of it once we can pick a "general location".

Old 05-29-2007, 03:27 PM

20,005 posts, read 70,205,231 times
Yeah, Colorado might fit what youre looking for, except parts can be pretty pricey too, but nowhere near as bad as the NE. Pennsylvania is lovely, but also has an off-season. South Dakota is definitely another option and actually might be the best. Winters are brutal though, but the area is gorgeous. Hey, theres really no place to live with perfect weather, so you really need to find an area that youll want to live in for a long time. Best of luck!

Old 05-29-2007, 05:25 PM

6,046 posts, read 21,944,638 times
Well, my husband and I are relocating to Kansas City Missouri this summer. I have no idea what the employment outlook would be for your husband's line of work. But nice housing in the $120k - $160k price range and renting for less than $700/month is plentiful, particularly in the 'burbs. The weather seems fine to us; all 4 seasons, and while there is a risk of tornado, it's not nearly as bad as states west of Missouri. The city seems to have plenty to do, and the traffic is nothing compared to the east coast (we are from New Jersey.
Pennsylvania might be another option for you...the cost of living in NY and NJ is atrocious and so many people are moving to PA and they need floors! My friend's husband installs garage door openers and he can't keep up with the amount of work he gets in southern NJ and eastern/southeastern PA.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:43 PM

653 posts, read 3,161,021 times
You may want to consider MADISON WISCONSIN. It's an awesome town!!

Old 05-29-2007, 09:13 PM

Thanks everyone! I'll check out Pennsylvania, Missouri, & Wisconsin too... how are the winters in M. & W. ? I know cold & snowy, but HOW cold & snowy? What are the biggest and/or best cities/towns? I don't know anything about either state, so any info would be great!

Old 05-30-2007, 08:06 AM

I've been reading all about Missouri and I must say...I'm pleasantly surprised! I really like alot of things St. Louis has to offer. I know some people will say "Not St. Louis!", but we loved Brooklyn so I guess we're "city people" It really looks like a place that he (NY'er) and I (Louisiana girl ) can both be happy in. Now... I know the crime is supposed to be pretty bad, but after living in Brooklyn I think I will be OK with it.....however, I don't want to be able to buy crack from my neighbor , so what parts of town should I look at? I posted on the Missouri board too, but I was just wondering if anyone here has lived in Missouri/St. Louis and what you think, or recommend. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or