U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2007, 02:01 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,767,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
This is just one reason why city population numbers are irrelevant. Even in Chicago is passed by Houston, there is no doubt in my mind that people will still see Chicago as the much bigger city. Same exact thing with San Antonio and Dallas. San Antonio passed Dallas in population 2 years ago. Do you really believe the San Antonio area is bigger than Dallas? NO.
Actually, I do look at San Antonio as being bigger than Dallas. Why? Because it is. Do I think of San Antonio as more big time and major than Dallas? Of course not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 02:02 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,605,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
What exactly does this mean?
He means that DFW's urban area is larger than Houston's urban area. Houston's covers less land, and is more dense than DFW's though.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:09 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,767,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
He means that DFW's urban area is larger than Houston's urban area. Houston's covers less land, and is more dense than DFW's though.
So then how is it "behind" Dallas?

Old 06-06-2007, 03:03 PM

609 posts, read 2,721,293 times
Quote:
Actually, I do look at San Antonio as being bigger than Dallas. Why? Because it is. Do I think of San Antonio as more big time and major than Dallas? Of course not.
I guess it depends what spade was meaning as "san antonio area" ....I took it to mean MSA...and if that's the case, then Dallas MSA is bigger...if spade meant sq. mileage...then I dont know...never bothered to compare the two...but I would assume San Antonio is bigger sq. mileage wise than Dallas proper.

But what I took from Spade's comments were that he was referring to the San Antonio region and not the city proper, and thus "Dallas Region" is bigger.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:30 PM

Yeah, SA has larger city limit boundaries, and is not hemmed in. That is a great plan by its city leaders. I would hate to be hemmed in by my suburbs, who are getting businesses away from my city.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:16 PM

4,852 posts, read 8,991,752 times
Quote:
Yeah, SA has larger city limit boundaries, and is not hemmed in. That is a great plan by its city leaders. I would hate to be hemmed in by my suburbs, who are getting businesses away from my city.
Dallas is the perfect example. Plano & Co. take away from Dallas proper. Another irony is that the Sears Tower is no longer occupied by Sears; they moved out 12 years ago to a one-story sprawling office complex in Hoffman Estates. Don't forget Allstate, Walgreen's, McDonald's, and Discover Card in the suburbs also. Next project for Mayor Daley: Get those business in the loop or close to it in River North.

Houston avoided this but its downtown doesn't look as good as Chicago's and inaccessible except by car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
You cant touch Chicago nor its uniqueness/history/etc.
Come to think about it, are you referring to the corruption that plagues Chicago and Illinois state government and institutions like the police. How about Al Capone--something Mayor Daley wants everyone to forget about? That's the other reason tourists come to Chicago besides the architecture. And I must point out that the last three police brutality stories which made nationwide headlines were from Chicago.

Hopefully I can import that machine from Chicago to Houston and take over Texas state government. Chicago, O the corruption, O the...

Last edited by KerrTown; 06-06-2007 at 05:26 PM..

Old 06-06-2007, 05:40 PM

Inaccessible except by car? Give me a break? Only one other American skyline looks like Chicago's...NYC! Houston panorama shots look like Chicago though.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:50 PM

4,852 posts, read 8,991,752 times
Quote:
Inaccessible except by car? Give me a break? Only one other American skyline looks like Chicago's...NYC! Houston panorama shots look like Chicago though.
Is there any way to go downtown without being victimized by the parking garages? Park and Ride is not reliable. I know that Metra offers an unlimited weekend pass for $5.15 so suburbanites can go downtown and do their shopping, eating, and sightseeing easily--something Houston should do when we get commuter rail.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:57 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,052,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
I guess it depends what spade was meaning as "san antonio area" ....I took it to mean MSA...and if that's the case, then Dallas MSA is bigger...if spade meant sq. mileage...then I dont know...never bothered to compare the two...but I would assume San Antonio is bigger sq. mileage wise than Dallas proper.

But what I took from Spade's comments were that he was referring to the San Antonio region and not the city proper, and thus "Dallas Region" is bigger.
That's exactly where I was coming from. I really don't care for the sq. mileage because New York is smaller than Houston yet it has 5.5 million more people. But anyone that has visited San Antonio and Dallas knows that Dallas feels like it's the much much bigger city.

mpope, city population numbers are irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Nobody cares that Houston is the 4th largest city or Phoenix is the 5th largest city. To really determine the size of a city, you have to use the MSA or the UA(Urbanized Area). The reason is because cities usually grow outside of it's arbitrary boundaries layed out by the city council and state. And while Texas has or had very liberal laws on annexation, other states did not. For this reason, city limits are different from state to state. That only adds to the irrelevance of city population numbers. If I go visit the Dallas area and the San Antonio area, I'm sorry, but San Antonio is just much smaller between the two. Dallas has a bigger downtown, much more urban and dense, and has everything San Antonio has but more.

Here are examples of how irrelevant city population numbers are.
Jacksonville is the biggest city in Florida. In reality, it's the 4th largest
Jacksonville is the biggest city in the southeast. In reality, it's not even in the top 10
Indianapolis is bigger than San Francisco and so is San Jose for that matter.
Austin is bigger than Boston and Atlanta. Who really believes this.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:05 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,052,687 times
Quote:

I am NOT talking about MSAs. I hate MSAs. Do not use that term around me.
Well you will probably need to get use to hearing it because that's what most people uses to reference the bigger of either city you are comparing. For example, Houston is larger than Philadelphia in it's metro. But most consider Philadelphia region the bigger city. There has been countless threads on what is America's 4th city. The majority of the people listed San Francisco, Philadelphia, and Boston before Houston. When determining the 4th city of the US. It comes down to more than just population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or