U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2007, 10:55 AM

18,643 posts, read 27,082,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I read one time in the newspaper that a Nigerian tribal king moved here to be closer to his subjects because most of them migrated here. It is impossible to tell which are the children of native born African-Americans and Nigerian immigrants except when they reveal their names.
How about this stat. Houston has the largest Nigerian population in the nation. It is the third largest in the world behind Nigeria itself and London. Houston also has a fast growing Ghanian population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 11:04 AM

3,073 posts, read 10,771,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
By 15 damn feet. If the FAA let us build the JP Morgan Chase like we wanted to, it would be 80 stories, not 75. The restriction was lifted after the tower was completed.
What's the restriction now?

Old 06-07-2007, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post

The U.S. Bank tower, formerly the Library Tower/First Interstate Tower or to G.W.B., the Liberty Tower. This is the most distinct one in L.A., a white round tower with a crown. Apparently this was the West Coast target on 9/11. If this building fell, the Chase Tower would be the tallest west of the Mississippi.
I know about the tower. I was asking why Los Angeles' downtown was so underdeveloped.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:19 PM

mpope, click this link. It would be great for you to read and you'll see where I'm coming from on this one.
City as a metro area: has it actually hurt Houston? - SkyscraperCity

Old 06-07-2007, 12:23 PM

7,826 posts, read 12,340,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
Houston has more of a boom-and-bust type of economy. When the energy industry is on an uptick, as it is now, then Houston's growth is extremely fast. On the other hand, hiring will slow down considerably if the energy industry is in a down-cycle. Chicago has a diversified economy, meaning that it won't have the boom periods that you'll see in Texas with energy or California with tech but the down periods aren't as pronounced.

All in all, though, I don't see how Houston is really comparable to Chicago. Atlanta, Charlotte and even Dallas (although I'm sure Houston natives don't want to hear that) are much more applicable comparisons as decentralized Sunbelt cities. I've always thought that Chicago is more comparable to East Coast cities than even other Midwestern cities, much less those in the Sunbelt.
But there's also NASA obviously with all its associated contractors as well. I think overall Chicago is a prettier city especially with the lakefront whereas Houston is more polluted and smoggy, but then Chicago's winter is much worse than Houston's summer. Chicago would be a wonderful place to live if it wasn't too cold, and I'm someone who thinks winters in Baltimore are too cold.

Houston is more spread out but Chicago also has a large suburban area that covers a lot geographically. Also, I would characterize Washington, D.C. as a more Sunbelt-type development city though the weather here definitely could be warmer. DC is very decentralized, much like LA, with the federal government based downtown, a high-tech corridor around Tysons Corner and Dulles Airport (Tyson's Corner alone has more corporate office space than downtown Cleveland or Pittsburgh), and the biotech industry centered in the Maryland suburbs.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:28 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,609,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Chicago has a very big influence on state politics. 75% of Illini live in Chicagoland. Outside of Chicagoland, it is very traditional republican. But if it wasn't for Chicago, Illinois would be a red state.

A former Houston councilman and congressman who lost his seat due to Delay's redistricting ran against Rick Perry, the current Republican governor, in the November election. He was second place. I should mention that TX Senator Rodney Ellis tried to pass a statewide smoking ban. He is usually the lone progressive voice in the 'Lege.'

We are also a hub of immigrants. In the same way Chicago has the largest Polish population outside of Poland, we have the second-largest Vietnamese population in the United States (only to Orange County, CA) and a large Nigerian population. I read one time in the newspaper that a Nigerian tribal king moved here to be closer to his subjects because most of them migrated here. It is impossible to tell which are the children of native born African-Americans and Nigerian immigrants except when they reveal their names.
Yeah, because the Nigerians have been in Houston for so long. I have heard (on a CNN Report), that Houston has America's largest Nigerian population with about 100,000.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
mpope, click this link. It would be great for you to read and you'll see where I'm coming from on this one.
City as a metro area: has it actually hurt Houston? - SkyscraperCity
I always understood what you were saying. I don't need to see a link that tells me about my own city.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
I think overall Chicago is a prettier city especially with the lakefront whereas Houston is more polluted and smoggy, but then Chicago's winter is much worse than Houston's summer.
Chicago has smog as well.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:26 AM

4,852 posts, read 9,000,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think most of those people actually have been to each place to able to judge accordingly. But I'm saying when you are saying that the top 4 cities of the US, don't automatically put Houston in there because everybody outside of Houston will disagree. They will more than likely agree that San Francisco (especially), or Philadelphia is the 4th city in the US.
Actually they cannot be the 4th city since each city is the largest city in the region. For the South it is Houston. San Francisco cannot be the 4th city because of downstate L.A. and Philadelphia cannot because of neighboring NYC.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:50 AM

again, you're looking at city population stats. Nobody care about city populations outside of Houston. Most people on various boards look at the metro population to tell which city is the bigger city. Not some arbitrary municipality. Hate to sound like a broken record but it's true. All those cities I named have a higher GDP than Houston, is considered much more urban than Houston and has a larger population in than Houston. Also, by saying Houston is the 4th city of the US ,you are assuming that Houston is the city of the south when it is clearly not. I'm sure people from similar sized metro's of Dallas, Atlanta, and Miami would disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or