U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2007, 11:30 AM

832 posts, read 3,556,980 times

Advertisements

Actually, I've met people throughought the nation and world who have recently moved to Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 03:13 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,731,454 times
Bear- I had a friend just purchase a home that looked very similar to yours only it was in Atlanta. He sent me an email with the pics and I was like, wait I have seen this somewhere before.....lol

Let's compare Governor's of Texas and Illinois and how their politics effect the state. I believe Texas has Perry and Illinois has Blagojevich. I hear Perry is a hardcore coservative/republican is that true?

Old 06-17-2007, 04:00 PM

1,486 posts, read 4,028,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
Bear- I had a friend just purchase a home that looked very similar to yours only it was in Atlanta. He sent me an email with the pics and I was like, wait I have seen this somewhere before.....lol

Let's compare Governor's of Texas and Illinois and how their politics effect the state. I believe Texas has Perry and Illinois has Blagojevich. I hear Perry is a hardcore coservative/republican is that true?
He's definitely Republican and conservative but frankly is more moderate than a lot of the right wingers in Texas. When that vaccine for cervical cancer came out Perry wanted to require every girl in Texas to get the vaccine to try and wipe out the cancer. He folded when the right wing religious nuts got their panties all twisted thinking that the vaccine would encourage people to have sex. These people WANT disease and death to keep their children afraid of sex. Absolutely crazy...

Old 06-17-2007, 04:18 PM

Yes, I would agree and it's a shame that he didn't stand up to the political pressure. The conservative body has actively attacked sexuality to the point where people are starting to feel that sex is a sin unless it's done in accordance with biblical teachings. The vaccine would have done a lot of good, it's hard to believe that Texas stood by and didn't protest this immoral and harmful action.

I haven't heard many good things about Perry nor the Mayor of Houston. It's a shame because the people of Houston, and I would imagine other parts of Texas seem very nice. Conservative politics are hideous....

Old 06-17-2007, 05:41 PM

609 posts, read 2,721,710 times
Anyway, I think we should get back to Chicago vs. Houston rather than Houston's conservative vs. liberal views. It's a known fact that Houston voted for Kerry in high numbers. So did Chicago.
So there really isnt much of a comparison b/t the two cities...both voted for Kerry as expected. It's pretty much any urban center in America will likely lean Democrat vs. Republican.

So to get back to Chicago vs. Houston, is there anything that hasnt been compared yet?

Old 06-18-2007, 04:28 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,453,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
He's definitely Republican and conservative but frankly is more moderate than a lot of the right wingers in Texas. When that vaccine for cervical cancer came out Perry wanted to require every girl in Texas to get the vaccine to try and wipe out the cancer. He folded when the right wing religious nuts got their panties all twisted thinking that the vaccine would encourage people to have sex. These people WANT disease and death to keep their children afraid of sex. Absolutely crazy...
As usual, you are so misinformed it's scary. That's the problem with liberals (of which I am one, but it's opinions like this that make me lean more towards the center)... it's always "the right wing religious nuts" who are to blame for everything. It couldn't possibly be the case that this vaccine has serious side effects and the only studies that say it's safe were conducted by Merck, whose pockets stand to be lined because it's their vaccine (they also contributed to Gov. Rick's campaign). It couldn't possibly be that parents didn't want the government intruding into their personal lives and making what should be parental decisions for their children, taking the choice out of their hands. If he thinks the vaccine is such a great idea, why not instead launch a public awareness campaign to inform parents about it and give them the right to choose, rather than force their 12-year-old daughters into being guinea pigs? Really, you should research a little before you start spouting off about the big, bad, evil right-wingers and perpetuating negative stereotypes about Texas. Liberals who lack the ability to think for themselves are no different than "right wing religious nuts" in their inflexible views.

Last edited by houstoner; 06-18-2007 at 05:47 AM..

Old 06-18-2007, 05:30 AM

Also, with Houston Politics, with the election of Melissa Noriega, there is a 8-6 Democrat majority for City Council and there is also a Democrat Mayor. Regarding Governor Perry he appears to be more pro-business right of center rather than a 'right wing religious nut.'

Old 06-18-2007, 08:20 AM

3,073 posts, read 10,768,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Here is where I have to agree. Some people have adjusted to the environment of Houston, but there are many many people who would opt for better living. As I've said before, there are plenty of green people in this city, so just because the city doesn't seem to care about it, it doesn't mean that the people who live there don't.
I meant to say disagree.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:47 AM

Also, the mayor of Houston is a left of center Democrat. Particiaptes in the gay freedom parades, etc.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:57 PM

Houstoner has a point. I agree, that you should inform people about a product and let them make an informed decision with regards to their health. No one should be forced to do anything against their will. However, on the same note, it's clear that conservative politics/views have issues with human sexuality and the manner in which it's expressed. Now that I have a problem with, especially when you quote scripture and proclaim it to be the law of the land etc...

I think many public officials participate in events deemed to be liberal but it's more political than anything else. Bottom line comes down to laws which impact you on the city and state level. Example: Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich is far more liberal than Perry. Both have pro-business attitudes but with Perry it seems that's it's far more business than about the people.

Isn't Perry pro-death penalty? It seems like the Texas locals are liberal and the politicians are conservative....lol Do you feel that there's more similarities between Perry and Blagojevich or more differences?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or