U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2007, 06:14 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,573,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
many people in San Jose work in San Francisco.
Welcome to Earth.

P.S. You're wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 06:31 PM

609 posts, read 2,721,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
I agree with much of what you had to say. You bring some good insight in to the converstation. Houston does have good freeways, so if you're a driver and can put up with the traffice madness it shouldn't be a problem. The public transit syste could be a lot better and I hope that Houston rectifies this through action and not talk. The people in your city deserve an excellent transit system instead of being forced in to purchasing a car. The social issues perhaps will linger forever as people have always had a hard time reaching common ground. The bigger issue and one worth discussing, is how the money is going to be distributed to address the social ills when you have conflicting views on projects and social issues? Also, the air quality in Chicago is better.
I think the public transportation issues in my city and Houston's are very similar in nature....b/c both cities have made cars their way of life. Chicago's is much better built...but Houston and my city are playing catch up in good ways. Your city is adding rail lines. Mine is doubling the amount of track and adding 4 new lines: A Ft. Worth line to connect with DART, a Northern suburban line that bypasses downtown and connects to the Ft. Worth line, and two additional DART lines.

But to talk a/b Houston since this is Houston vs. Chicago, Houston is also adding rail as well that will spur development along its tracts.

I do believe both cities will change their habits. They predict that my city will be closing in on 8 million people sooner than later...and that the average speed on the freeways will drop to a/b 25 mph at around 8 million people...this may force the change to public transportation use of our rail system. I suspect Houston will be the same way. And then you can start comparing Houston to Chicago in terms of public transportation

B/c right now, there is no comparison. Chicago's is superior. Ridership in Chicago is superior. But then again, we maybe talking a/b absolute terms. After all, Chicago Metro has a full 4 million people more than Houston. That's 4 million more people that would potentially take public transportation (minus kids of course).

I suspect when the two Texas flagship cities reach the 8 million mark, we're going to see that ridership numbers are going to be much higher and more on par with our northern city neighbors (ie Chicago, etc)

Old 06-19-2007, 06:35 PM

421 posts, read 604,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
I think the public transportation issues in my city and Houston's are very similar in nature....b/c both cities have made cars their way of life. Chicago's is much better built...but Houston and my city are playing catch up in good ways. Your city is adding rail lines. Mine is doubling the amount of track and adding 4 new lines: A Ft. Worth line to connect with DART, a Northern suburban line that bypasses downtown and connects to the Ft. Worth line, and two additional DART lines.

But to talk a/b Houston since this is Houston vs. Chicago, Houston is also adding rail as well that will spur development along its tracts.

I do believe both cities will change their habits. They predict that my city will be closing in on 8 million people sooner than later...and that the average speed on the freeways will drop to a/b 25 mph at around 8 million people...this may force the change to public transportation use of our rail system. I suspect Houston will be the same way. And then you can start comparing Houston to Chicago in terms of public transportation

B/c right now, there is no comparison. Chicago's is superior. Ridership in Chicago is superior. But then again, we maybe talking a/b absolute terms. After all, Chicago Metro has a full 4 million people more than Houston. That's 4 million more people that would potentially take public transportation (minus kids of course).

I suspect when the two Texas flagship cities reach the 8 million mark, we're going to see that ridership numbers are going to be much higher and more on par with our northern city neighbors (ie Chicago, etc)
Either that, or a lot more fat Texans stuck in traffic in their pickup trucks under a green sky on their way to work in the oil refineries.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:40 PM

832 posts, read 3,557,208 times
That is sure one ignorant post.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:08 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,319,182 times
It sure is, most of us don't work in oil refineries.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:09 AM

832 posts, read 3,557,208 times
Most of the economy isn't even energy related in Houston.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:35 AM

4,852 posts, read 8,995,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Hey, not me. There was one time where I hoped it would, and I thought it should, but not now. I want NY, LA, Chi, and Hou to maintain their ranking. The only way I want Houston to catch up to Chicago is in culture, skyscrapers and highrises, public trans, an active inner loop/downtown, and a little more density. We have everything else. I would also like Houston to snatch the number four metropolitan population spot. That way there's no arguement about the true four "largest" cities.

On the other hand, this city should not be scared to top even the bigger cities. There's nothing wrong with having something better than everyone else. Houston has been in the back seat for too long. It's time it starts going for the gold.
Exactly my thoughts. I want Main Street to be our Michigan Avenue and have a national flagship Macy's in the former flagship Foley's.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:10 AM

18,633 posts, read 27,064,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Welcome to Earth.

P.S. You're wrong.
Talk to census then because they are the ones to report that many people from San Jose work in San Francisco because it is the business capital of the Bay Area and San Francisco is still the center of the Bay Area. Talk to them why you going off from the mouth.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:18 AM

18,633 posts, read 27,064,736 times
Quote:

I don't know metroplex. While Houston and Dallas will improve their transportation numbers. It will be a long while before it catches up to Chicago simply because of our transportation modes. Let's be real, alot of people in Chicago like to drive themselves. But they use heavy rail compared to Dallas and Houston using light rail. Both Texas cities would have to build numbers miles of rail for ridership to catch up to Chicago. It is the 2nd most extensive system in the United States after New York. I'll try to find ridership numbers for each city because I seen a list but Dallas and Houston was still at the bottom, I believe.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:31 PM

609 posts, read 2,721,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I don't know metroplex. While Houston and Dallas will improve their transportation numbers. It will be a long while before it catches up to Chicago simply because of our transportation modes. Let's be real, alot of people in Chicago like to drive themselves. But they use heavy rail compared to Dallas and Houston using light rail. Both Texas cities would have to build numbers miles of rail for ridership to catch up to Chicago. It is the 2nd most extensive system in the United States after New York. I'll try to find ridership numbers for each city because I seen a list but Dallas and Houston was still at the bottom, I believe.
Yeah Spade, I've seen the numbers. But I do believe that our freeways, though on average wider than Chicago's, could force a change in our habits here. The Cottonbelt still could be a heavy rail..they're still in discussions...but the connection b/t Ft. Worth and DFW Airport, and Dallas is looking promising.

You're right, culture is hard to change...and Chicago is way ahead...but most people that move here are not from here. IT's hard to predict....CHicago is relatively stagnant....but Houston and my city are growing. I think under the right conditions and the addition of millions and millions of people that would be potential riders and the right mix of proper development, it's possible for rail numbers to rise up.

But it's definitely a stretch, and I agree with that...but it will be interesting to see how a Houston and DFW deal with 9 million people like Chicago has.

The jury is still out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or