U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2007, 11:26 AM

2,703 posts, read 2,610,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
IN all fairness, Houston probably will make alpha first if there will be a first, or DFW and Houston at the same time. I"m hoping that Dallas will elevate its status among American cities by becoming a regular on the rotation of Superbowl host cities. We have an opportunity here to showcase Texas since this will be the first time it's held in the state.
I'm not so surprised you said that. The media out here in North Texas made it seem that way. Houston was almost guaranteed one in 2009 or 2010, but the small market owners dislike the Houston Texans owner Bob McNair. If he cleans up his act, Houston could get one by 2015. The Astrodome is being made into a Gaylord Texan (but larger), and would be host to the NFL. The distance between Reliant and the Astrodome is a skip across the street.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 10:22 AM

Something interesting:

O'Hare handled 11.7 million international passengers last year.
IAH handled 7.4 million international passenger last year.

If Houston was larger in metro population, I bet international traffic would match Chicago's. Right now, Houston has more international traffic per capita.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:45 PM

609 posts, read 2,723,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Something interesting:

O'Hare handled 11.7 million international passengers last year.
IAH handled 7.4 million international passenger last year.

If Houston was larger in metro population, I bet international traffic would match Chicago's. Right now, Houston has more international traffic per capita.

I agree, metro population does make a difference as I have stressed multiple times in multiple examples: Atlanta vs. Louisville, SF/Bay Area vs. Indianapolis. And in DFW's case: 6.1 million (likely 6.4 million (current) when the 2010 census redefines the boundaries yet again)

I hope that our Texas energy companies will adapt to the reality that they need to diversify their energy portfolios and plan for a future without oil being the sole monopoly provider of energy (particularly in transportation).

They have the capital to invest and maintain market position (ie hydrogen technology, etc.) B/c there will be a pricing point where the middle east will cause consumers to change behaviors...right now, even $3/gallon gas is still relatively cheap believe it or not, and the economy is taking it.
I know this is off topic, but Houston just got a non-stop via Emirites to Dubai (obviously b/c of the oil connection)...which is great..Dubai is a wonderful, modern exception to the middle east. It has capital market access that other cities there dont have. But we need both Dallas and Houston companies for the sake of our cities to be ready for the switch...it may happen in our lifetimes, or the next generation's....but I do foresee alternative energy becoming big once the pricing point reaches a point change is forced...or our texas companies can buy out these smalller innovative ones across the US since they have the capital to do so.

I see China and India continuing to ramp up their oil consumption, they're past 25% and growing. Our problem is refineries...50% of the world's oil is still available...but China and India's growth have exceeded expectation projections from the West over the last decades...you have 2 billion people (1/3 of the world's population) that are more free market oriented and want to live like us Americans. So oil will become more scarce faster than we ever assumed 2 decades ago. I think our texas companies need to stay competitive and be smart a/b the transition.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:21 PM

Qatar Airlines is starting service as well from Houston.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Qatar Airlines is starting service as well from Houston.
BA is announcing that DFW will be the first new US Airport to get London Heathrow service to London. Obviously this is b/c of American Airlines and British Airways' partnership arrangement just like Northwest/KLM. But this is good news for DFW as this will funnel lots of increased international traffic into DFW for either connecting purposes and O/D purposes.

THey plan to add Houston soon too FYI, which will be good for Houston. London Heathrow is Europe's largest and busiest airport hub that offers connections seamlessly to Europe, Africa, and Asia.

Good news for Texas.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:17 PM

I thought BA already had direct flights to London from Houston?

Old 06-27-2007, 07:31 PM

Quote:
I thought BA already had direct flights to London from Houston?
via Gatwick, London's secondary airport. But you are right in saying that.

For years, regulations has prevented London Heathrow service except to 4 US cities: NY, Miami, Boston, and Chicago.

These flights were only operated by American and United, who owned the sole rights to Heathrow, Europe's largest and busiest hub.

DFW had service on British Airways and American to Gatwick.
You had it likely on Continental and British Airways to Gatwick (though I would have to look at Continental's schedule...I know they go to Amsterdam b/c of it's ties to Northwest Airlines/KLM).

But this is key for TExas. A huge financial center like London....and with Heathrow as the preferred gateway now coming to Texas, it will help our local economies as well as provide more connections for Europeans to pass through our cities to the West Coast, Hawaii, Mexico, Latin America.

American is the leading carrier to Latin America. So I'm sure British Airways will be ramping up code share flights now that they can funnel their passengers from their largest hub to American's largest hub.

Houston benefits from Heathrow also, b/c Continental has a sizable operation to Mexico and Latin America as well.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:48 PM

Continental is king to Latin America.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Continental is king to Latin America.
Actually American has the number one market share to Latin America.

They got that by buying out Pan Am when the original declared bankruptcy and was selling off routes. That's how Delta became the number one carrier to Europe. Delta took over Pan Am's European operations.

American has two Latin American Gateways: Miami (the largest) and DFW (2nd largest).

Though Continental is trying to beef up its presence, most of Latin America has fallen under American Airline's control..they've had so many years to build up name and brand recognition there. The numbers are high...just like Northwest and United's monopoly on the Asian routes.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:17 PM

I mixed that up. IAH is king to Latin America. It has more flights there than DFW. Also, London-Heathrow service begins in March from IAH via Continental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or