U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2007, 01:26 AM

1,816 posts, read 5,189,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
NOt disagreeing with you that Houston has arguably one of the best Non downtown skylines in the country. I was merely pointing out that other cities have reputable non downtown skylines...St. Louis is one of them..Clayton is the new ST. Louis downtown....basically...
Phoenix has more high rises not in downtown than in downtown. Dallas area's Las Colinas has just as much office space as downtown.
You should try visiting St. Louis again. Downtown and the city is where people are/will be moving to in the coming years.

Also, multiple skylines? No thanks. Prefer just one, rather than the spread out areas.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 03:13 AM

1,134 posts, read 916,151 times
Wow! I can't believe the life this thread has taken on. Houston and Chicago, I still say it's possible!

Old 07-05-2007, 08:15 AM

2,703 posts, read 2,612,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
You should try visiting St. Louis again. Downtown and the city is where people are/will be moving to in the coming years.

Also, multiple skylines? No thanks. Prefer just one, rather than the spread out areas.
Global cities have more than one downtown... Just letting you know.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:38 PM

1,816 posts, read 5,189,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Global cities have more than one downtown... Just letting you know.
When people talk about downtown Houston for example...there is only one....not Midtown, etc...Houston has one downtown.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:07 PM

609 posts, read 2,724,077 times
Quote:

I've been to St. Louis recently. Lots of the recent highrise building has gone to Clayton.

But downtown is trying to get revitalized. The downtown ballpark village could potentially score some highrises. The WashAve Loft District has come a long way.

But I must point out that St. Louis area does have two business districts. Clayton is successful in its own right, and has luxury condos and residences in its own right as well.

Though I"m always rooting for downtown St. Louis...I think it has many elements in place to make a comeback.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
When people talk about downtown Houston for example...there is only one....not Midtown, etc...Houston has one downtown.
Uptown Houston, at 29 million square feet of office space, is larger than Downtown Atlanta, Denver, Los Angeles, and more...

Old 07-05-2007, 06:48 PM

150 posts, read 645,527 times
Quote:
Uptown Houston, at 29 million square feet of office space, is larger than Downtown Atlanta, Denver, Los Angeles, and more...
good point, local texans know what uptown houston is, as its the third largest skyline in the state. Houston isnt as popular as New York so that's why everybody doesnt know about other skylines in Houston.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkcapitaloftheworld View Post
good point, local texans know what uptown houston is, as its the third largest skyline in the state. Houston isnt as popular as New York so that's why everybody doesnt know about other skylines in Houston.
Just goes to show that not everything is dependent on population. I wonder where San Antonio's skyline ranks given the fact that Dallas and Houston have multiple skylines. On the Ft. Worth side, even their skyline looks taller than San Antonio's, and San Antonio area has 1.9 million people.

I can think of lots of cities of similar size to SA with larger skylines: Indianapolis, KC, Cincinatti, Pittsburgh, the list goes on and on.

So I guess what goes into a city and its respective region is so very multi-factoral, b/c SA is a very nice city, it has uniqueness in its Riverwalk, it has history in its Alamo, it has a military base, and it's close to the Hill Country, making it a popular place for retirement.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:31 PM

Charlotte also has a much larger skyline than SA. Metroplex2003, I do believe that you cannot compare Texas' two giants to the other cities. They are just on another scale, especially skyline wise. Houston's Greenspoint area looks like Austin's skyline.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Charlotte also has a much larger skyline than SA. Metroplex2003, I do believe that you cannot compare Texas' two giants to the other cities. They are just on another scale, especially skyline wise. Houston's Greenspoint area looks like Austin's skyline.
Yeah, DFW and Houston have large skylines.

But SA's skyline for a city that size is smaller than comparable cities comparing apple to apple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or