U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 07:52 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,052,687 times

Advertisements

I hope Houston doesn't get one. It's not that I don't want them to get one. But let Dallas and Houston have different things. What Houston should go after is a Peninsula Hotel. Now I've heard those hotels are equally nice, if not better. Here's the link.
Luxury Hotels Group: The Peninsula Hotels Official Site, 5 Star Luxury Hotels (http://www.peninsula.com/index.html - broken link)
Only two in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 10:46 PM

609 posts, read 2,721,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
There is one in Atlanta (site work) and one proposed for Houston (Houston City Centre Downtown).
Sorry guys, at the time when it was announced, there were only 3.

But the amount of upscale hotels has definitely been a signature in Dallas. For several years we had America's number one rated luxury hotel, The Mansion at Turtle Creek, since that time we've had several in that class pop up. Due next is Texas' only Ritz Carlton, which will house both hotel and condos that range up to 8 million at the upper floors, and also the Mandarin ORiental of course. The W opened up last year with big fan fare and continues to be a popular destination since it houses ghost bar. Next on the proposed is a Hard Rock Hotel and Cafe, which would make it unique since Hard Rock has very few hotels outside of Vegas.

ONe of the main reasons for Dallas' naturally upscale nature is due to Starwood's influences on the city.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:10 AM

3,073 posts, read 10,767,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
There are cities in America with multiple skylines...Phoenix, Dallas, St. Louis (Clayton), etc. But Houston has the tallest building outside of a downtown area in the uptown galleria district.

Dallas has impressive multiple skylines...Las Colinas, which has just as much office space as downtown Dallas, the Tollway district, which is similar to Phoenix's 2nd skyline, the RIchardson Telecom cooridor (aka Texas Silicon valley), and also downtown Ft. Worth has some impressive buildings.

Downtown/Uptown dallas is adding 26 high rises that are confirmed over the next 5 years...one which will be the tallest residential tower in Texas, and will house one of only 3 Mandarin Oriental Hotels in the country.
Okay. But as far as major multiple skylines, you have to give that to Houston. Almost without the Transco Tower, I know of no other city in the country (outside of NY and CHI) with such a large uptown district that it's easily mistaken for downtown. Our uptown is bigger than most cities' downtowns.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I hope Houston doesn't get one. It's not that I don't want them to get one. But let Dallas and Houston have different things. What Houston should go after is a Peninsula Hotel. Now I've heard those hotels are equally nice, if not better. Here's the link.
Luxury Hotels Group: The Peninsula Hotels Official Site, 5 Star Luxury Hotels (http://www.peninsula.com/index.html - broken link)
Only two in the US.
I hope Houston doesn't get a Mandarin, either. The Peninsula sounds much better. But do you really think we'll get one? If Tokyo is just now getting one? I'd love to get something that exclusive, but I doubt we would get one of those before San Francisco. It's probably better to wait for whatever else might come our way.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Okay. But as far as major multiple skylines, you have to give that to Houston. Almost without the Transco Tower, I know of no other city in the country (outside of NY and CHI) with such a large uptown district that it's easily mistaken for downtown. Our uptown is bigger than most cities' downtowns.
NOt disagreeing with you that Houston has arguably one of the best Non downtown skylines in the country. I was merely pointing out that other cities have reputable non downtown skylines...St. Louis is one of them..Clayton is the new ST. Louis downtown....basically...
Phoenix has more high rises not in downtown than in downtown. Dallas area's Las Colinas has just as much office space as downtown.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
NOt disagreeing with you that Houston has arguably one of the best Non downtown skylines in the country. I was merely pointing out that other cities have reputable non downtown skylines...St. Louis is one of them..Clayton is the new ST. Louis downtown....basically...
Phoenix has more high rises not in downtown than in downtown. Dallas area's Las Colinas has just as much office space as downtown.
I'm talking about skylines within the actual city limits. As far as Las Colinas goes, I always thought that as proof that Irving was slowly but surely becoming its own city.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:53 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,605,310 times
Quote:
Irving's Las Colinas having as much office space as Downtown is a bad thing (for Downtown Dallas).

Old 06-04-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Irving's Las Colinas having as much office space as Downtown is a bad thing (for Downtown Dallas).
Well, just like uptown Houston competes with downtown Houston as well. Unless you're saying that since they're both within Houston city limits, it doesnt matter to you.

But the fact is that both are coexisting. DOwntown building is booming as well as Las Colinas. Downtown Dallas area is adding 26 new high rises within the next 5 years that have been confirmed, and 25 are in the planning stages...

Las Colinas is planning on adding some office towers, but overall their new focus has been primarily residential to support its fast growing entertainment district in downtown Las Colinas.

Overall, they both co-exist...and overall, Downtown DAllas seems to coexist with the Telecom cooridor as well as the Tollway District as well as downtown Ft. Worth. The region is continuing to learn how to work together. This is why we landed the Superbowl 2011. It was a regional effort. Plus Dallas was the only city in Texas capable of handling the Superbowl given its strict requirements, which includes having a minimum of 4 hotels with 900 rooms or more.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Well, just like uptown Houston competes with downtown Houston as well. Unless you're saying that since they're both within Houston city limits, it doesnt matter to you.
I wasn't aware that Uptown was in competition with downtown. Not anymore than Lower Manhattan is with Midtown.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:59 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,605,310 times
Quote:
They don't really compete with each other.

Quote:
But the fact is that both are coexisting. DOwntown building is booming as well as Las Colinas. Downtown Dallas area is adding 26 new high rises within the next 5 years that have been confirmed, and 25 are in the planning stages...
In what the City of Dallas calls downtown, new highrises aren't being built there. They are all being built over in Victory Park/Uptown. I believe a few restorations are happening in DT, though.

Quote:
Las Colinas is planning on adding some office towers, but overall their new focus has been primarily residential to support its fast growing entertainment district in downtown Las Colinas.
That's good for Las Colinas.

Quote:
Overall, they both co-exist...and overall, Downtown DAllas seems to coexist with the Telecom cooridor as well as the Tollway District as well as downtown Ft. Worth.
To me, it feels like they compete with each other. One of the cities up here wants another's company. Haven't a few actually MOVED out of Dallas into Irving/Plano?

Quote:
The region is continuing to learn how to work together. This is why we landed the Superbowl 2011. It was a regional effort. Plus Dallas was the only city in Texas capable of handling the Superbowl given its strict requirements, which includes having a minimum of 4 hotels with 900 rooms or more.
Dallas was not the only city in Texas capable of that. Houston just had the Super Bowl three years ago (everything was centralized, so we didn't really need regional support).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or