U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 06:40 PM

609 posts, read 2,721,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
They don't really compete with each other.

In what the City of Dallas calls downtown, new highrises aren't being built there. They are all being built over in Victory Park/Uptown. I believe a few restorations are happening in DT, though.

That's good for Las Colinas.

To me, it feels like they compete with each other. One of the cities up here wants another's company. Haven't a few actually MOVED out of Dallas into Irving/Plano?

Dallas was not the only city in Texas capable of that. Houston just had the Super Bowl three years ago (everything was centralized, so we didn't really need regional support).
Yes, but most of us here think of DFW area as a single region "North Texas". Yes Dallas is the principle city, but we're all trying to work together. The success of our suburbs has helped the region overall. Most of the people do not live in Dallas proper, but in the surrounding areas...but Dallas proper gives a reason for the existence of the suburbs is b/c of Dallas proper.

Most of the Houston people do not live in HOuston proper, but in the surrounding area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 07:53 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,606,418 times
Houston is the reason its suburbs exist as well. We thought of ourselves as Greater Houston or Southeast Texas (not as much).

Old 06-04-2007, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Houston is the reason its suburbs exist as well. We thought of ourselves as Greater Houston or Southeast Texas (not as much).
Well, I think we have discussed this on the Dallas vs. Houston forum, but people tend to market their best statistic...and for Houston, at least for now, it's marketing the city limits population, b/c it's the 4th most populous in the US.

For Dallas, it's the MSA population, which comes in at the 4th largest MSA in the US.

FOr other cities, they may market the UA population to their citizens.

That's probably why we in the Metroplex tend to think of us as a regional area. Perhaps Houston people tend to think of Houston alone.

Now San Antonio is the 7th largest city in the US, but I dont think I"ve ever found anyone outside of Texas that thinks of San Antonio as larger than Dallas or as a major city.

Anyway, to get back on topic, I think this original thread was supposed to be a/b Houston vs. Chicago...so I apologize for my part in resurrecting the DAllas vs. Houston thread into all this...I guess it gets fun to spar with the Dallas vs. Houston debate...
I am still looking for the Kansas City vs. St. Louis debate...I've lived in STL before too.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:22 PM

4,852 posts, read 8,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
Anyway, to get back on topic, I think this original thread was supposed to be a/b Houston vs. Chicago...so I apologize for my part in resurrecting the DAllas vs. Houston thread into all this...I guess it gets fun to spar with the Dallas vs. Houston debate...
I am still looking for the Kansas City vs. St. Louis debate...I've lived in STL before too.
There used to be a Chicago-St. Louis debate. Then Chicago won. Guess who will win the Houston-Dallas debate. I want to live in a bigger metro than Houston. I don't want to live in DFW because it is as boring as Houston and I want to experience living outside of Texas. Chicagoland is very exciting and its where most Illini live.

St. Louis is a complete dump. I just saw Chicago and I was expecting a skyline at least as nice as Houston to offset the boring cornfields and farms of downstate IL. (DT Dallas looks as bare as St. Louis.) Kansas City looked very nice from what I saw on I-35. KC and Chi-town are my two favorite cities in the Midwest.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
There used to be a Chicago-St. Louis debate. Then Chicago won. Guess who will win the Houston-Dallas debate. I want to live in a bigger metro than Houston. I don't want to live in DFW because it is as boring as Houston and I want to experience living outside of Texas. Chicagoland is very exciting and its where most Illini live.

St. Louis is a complete dump. I just saw Chicago and I was expecting a skyline at least as nice as Houston to offset the boring cornfields and farms of downstate IL. (DT Dallas looks as bare as St. Louis.) Kansas City looked very nice from what I saw on I-35. KC and Chi-town are my two favorite cities in the Midwest.

I agree that ST. Louis has seen better days, but St. Louis and Dallas comparison is not apple to apple.

Dallas skyline is 6th largest in the US, behind NYC, Chicago, Houston, Honolulu, LA, and then Dallas.
DFW is America's 4th largest Metropolitan Area, behind NYC, LA, and Chicago.
IN terms of boring, I think you need to reconsider.

DFW and Houston has lots to offer.

In DFW, the nightlife is humming nicely: Places like House of BLues, Ghost Bar, N9NE, are just some of the places that makes Dallas exciting. We are one of only a handful of cities with all 6 major league sports.
DFW is much more modern than St. Louis.

St. Louis, which is now a mid-sized city, needs to be compared to similar mid-sized cities: ie Cincinatti, Cleveland, KC, Milwaukee, INdianapolis.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:47 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,060,365 times
Quote:
In what the City of Dallas calls downtown, new highrises aren't being built there. They are all being built over in Victory Park/Uptown. I believe a few restorations are happening in DT, though
Give it a few years. DTD will be getting new office buildings. Right now, you are right. They are renovating old empty buildings and turning them into nice residential units. The population in DTD will skyrocket to 10,000 by 2010. It was just a mere 400 earlier in the decade.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Give it a few years. DTD will be getting new office buildings. Right now, you are right. They are renovating old empty buildings and turning them into nice residential units. The population in DTD will skyrocket to 10,000 by 2010. It was just a mere 400 earlier in the decade.
I agree with your comments...but our urban core is more continuous...Uptown/Downtown Dallas is merely separated by a connector freeway...but in Houston, Uptown and Downtown are clearly separated.

I like our setup better...b/c it really creates the potential for a continous urban core city. With the Woodall Rodgers Park starting construction in 2008, and the continued rise of high density structures, (Victory Park/Uptown/Arts District)...I tihnk we can really make this in the next decade into a nice walkable city...especially if the real estate market again turns around and the remaining 25 high rises get built on top of the 26 approved already.

But you're right...I should have used downtown/uptown rather than downtown only, which refers to our financial district.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:31 AM

Well, Houston's Midtown will become our Uptown. They are separated by one freeway. Midtown's population is close to 10,000 I believe, and many new urban style projects are being built there.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:39 AM

4,852 posts, read 8,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
I agree that ST. Louis has seen better days, but St. Louis and Dallas comparison is not apple to apple.

Dallas skyline is 6th largest in the US, behind NYC, Chicago, Houston, Honolulu, LA, and then Dallas.
DFW is America's 4th largest Metropolitan Area, behind NYC, LA, and Chicago.
Early in the 20th century, the City of St. Louis was once the fourth-largest city. Chicago was the second-largest. This is why Chicago could handle the Columbian Exposition and St. Louis handle the World's Fair eleven years later. Then the post-war period came. Chicagoans were moving to Los Angeles and other sunny warm places. St. Louis couldn't compete with the sunbelt cities.

And are you sure that DFW is the fourth-largest metro? The New Jersey sprawl, the most problematic suburbanization, makes it hard to determine if Princeton belongs to NYC or to Philly. I've already figured out a permanent boundary between the two metros.

But Houston has a promising future for its skyline. A Sears Tower in Downtown Houston is a start. It is so tall that I could see the tower on the Bishop Ford from Pullman/Lake Calumet or on the NW Tollway at O'Hare. Looking up from street level amazes me that this is much taller than the Chase Tower. How about an 'L' loop around Downtown? We also need a Metra-style commuter rail line (this is the only public transit service that serves snacks and beer on its trains!) This may make Macy's on Main Street popular again and bring Michigan Avenue shops to Main Street.

Last edited by KerrTown; 06-05-2007 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: skyline

Old 06-05-2007, 08:56 AM

No other city has that Kerr-Town, except for NYC (skyline).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or