U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2007, 09:03 AM

4,852 posts, read 9,003,863 times

Advertisements

Could you elaborate Guerilla? I didn't understand what you meant with "except NYC (skyline)."

My dream for Houston is for it to look even better than Chicago and as good as NYC. Can you imagine a Houstonland in Texas and at least 75% of Texans living in the Houston metro? In order to beat Chicago, the state capital comes back to Houston after the illegal Battle of Barton Springs.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 09:34 AM

396 posts, read 911,107 times
What is this tread about now anyway? Houston and Chicago? or St. Louis and Chicago? or St. Louis and Houston? or Houston and Dallas?

Back to the original post, I don't think that the two cities can be compared in any meaningful way. They are just too different. Perhaps that why this thread went off an some many different tangents.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:58 AM

609 posts, read 2,723,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Could you elaborate Guerilla? I didn't understand what you meant with "except NYC (skyline)."

My dream for Houston is for it to look even better than Chicago and as good as NYC. Can you imagine a Houstonland in Texas and at least 75% of Texans living in the Houston metro? In order to beat Chicago, the state capital comes back to Houston after the illegal Battle of Barton Springs.
Actually 1 out of 4 Texans live in the DFW area.

But this thread is about Houston vs. Chicago.

So, IT will be awhile before Houston catches Chicago...but I'm pro-TExas, so hopefully in the future.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:15 AM

2,703 posts, read 2,611,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post

So, IT will be awhile before Houston catches Chicago...but I'm pro-TExas, so hopefully in the future.
If one out of every four Texans lives in DFW, then 1 1/2 out of every Texan lives n Houston. Both metro areas are pretty close. The City Planning Department estimates Houston's population at 2,231,335 as of January 2007, so it isn't too far off from Chicago's city population.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:18 AM

2,703 posts, read 2,611,542 times
Quote:

I meant that in only two cities will you see buildings as tall as the Sears Tower (NYC and Chicago). Development around Houston didn't start until 1836. Just wait and Houston will be there in due time. Sam Houston actually tried to move the capital back to Houston, but he failed. They stole the archives from Waterloo (now Austin). They were caught on their way back. I wish Houston was the capital, but I'm not mad it isn't. You don't need to be the capital to be a successful city.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:22 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,773,442 times
Quote:

But Houston has a promising future for its skyline. A Sears Tower in Downtown Houston is a start. It is so tall that I could see the tower on the Bishop Ford from Pullman/Lake Calumet or on the NW Tollway at O'Hare. Looking up from street level amazes me that this is much taller than the Chase Tower. How about an 'L' loop around Downtown? We also need a Metra-style commuter rail line (this is the only public transit service that serves snacks and beer on its trains!) This may make Macy's on Main Street popular again and bring Michigan Avenue shops to Main Street.
FINALLY! Someone on the same page as me. Houston needs more people like this who think big. The reason this city has such a problem putting itself out there is because it's building itself on common and simple ideas. Great cities are built on great ideas. They don't necessarily have to be reasonable, but dream a little, guys.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:25 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,773,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
You don't need to be the capital to be a successful city.
True. Neither New York, Los Angeles, or Chicago are their states' capital cities.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:06 PM

609 posts, read 2,723,559 times
Quote:
If one out of every four Texans lives in DFW, then 1 1/2 out of every Texan lives n Houston. Both metro areas are pretty close. The City Planning Department estimates Houston's population at 2,231,335 as of January 2007, so it isn't too far off from Chicago's city population.
Where did Houston get the additional 2 million plus people from last year?

The official US Census has Houston growing at a scant 12-13,000 people per year since 2000. Unless if Houston has done the unthinkable, and grew by 2,000,000 people in the last year, which is faster than the fastest growing MSA stats, I wonder a/b those stats...or unless Houston did some major anexations over the last 2 years that we're unaware of.

Chicago has a sizable lead over Houston...it's roughly 40% bigger than houston, or 800,000 people lead/houston's 2,000,000 equates to roughly 40%.

Now I"m all for Houston overtaking Chicago as I['m pro-Texas....but I"m also realistic...it's not happening anytime soon. Virtually all city propers have experienced their growth already decades ago...it's now the surrounding areas that are experiencing the double digit growth rates.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:13 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,455,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post

All the people in the world wont make Houston a Chicago. Your population may or may not pass Chicago's, but Chicago is still Chicago and Houston is still Houston. You cant touch Chicago nor its uniqueness/history/etc.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:05 PM

4,852 posts, read 9,003,863 times
Quote:
Sam Houston actually tried to move the capital back to Houston, but he failed. They stole the archives from Waterloo (now Austin). They were caught on their way back. I wish Houston was the capital, but I'm not mad it isn't. You don't need to be the capital to be a successful city.
That's the Battle of Barton Springs I'm talking about in the Archive Wars of 1839. It's also why Austin is now popular and overcrowded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
True. Neither New York, Los Angeles, or Chicago are their states' capital cities.
But we can be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
All the people in the world wont make Houston a Chicago. Your population may or may not pass Chicago's, but Chicago is still Chicago and Houston is still Houston. You cant touch Chicago nor its uniqueness/history/etc.
You probably don't know that Texas' independence from Mexico was won just east of what would become Houston. The Alamo seems to be more popular than the Battle of San Jacinto the same way you see more people at church on Good Friday than on Easter.
The Houston Metro area contains all the rebel capital cities. Houston was set up very quickly; from town to city in nine months. Chicago took 6-7 years to start. Both cities were incorporated within 3 months of each other. And unlike Dallas, we got our charter from the REPUBLIC of TEXAS--they got their charter from the STATE of TEXAS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or