Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which type of situation would you most prefer?
Living in a city you hate while making a lot of money 5 10.00%
Living in a city you love while making a moderate amount of money 44 88.00%
Need more information (if you pick this explain) 1 2.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 01:23 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times

Advertisements

Why can't you make a lot of money in a city you love? I am pretty satisfied with both, now there could always be a better job, but i don't understand why you can't have both
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 04:41 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,101,478 times
I have it good... I make alot of money in a city I love... Houston

If it came down to do, I would take less money to live here over alot more money to work in the 5 or so cities I would not like living in

Old 02-13-2010, 08:11 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Money doesn't buy happiness in a place you don't enjoy, so I would rather make moderate/low pay in a place I love.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:33 AM

403 posts, read 1,393,873 times
Money doesnt buy happiness. I'd much rather be making less money and be happy with my life. after all, financials are ONE piece of a whole spectrum. Bank accounts rise and fall; they can't dictate your emotional security.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:04 AM

306 posts, read 475,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenyears1984 View Post
Which would you choose and why?
Seems to me if you choose money over happiness something is wrong with you.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:21 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Oh, I'm way ahead of you, though I appreciate it all the same . I've been looking into many areas further south where the weather is better, the people are friendlier, the costs are lower, and culture hasn't been homogenized out of existence; decided on LA (not L.A. )

Are you moving within NM? I'd be surprised to hear you're leaving the state altogether, as you seem quite proud/patriotic when it comes to New Mexico.

most of New Mexico I dont really care for, Im from the Eastern part which is the plains and culturally more like Texas and I kinda wanna get back to that kind of place, just not my hometown, Im ready to try something else, I might as well, I've been in NM my whole life.

I am proud of New Mexico, I like the eastern part,ABQ to an extent and Las Cruces, the rest is blah, its just time to live in another state, I wanna live in the South but my girlfriend dosent so we gotta agree on a place, TX might be it.

where in Louisiana are you considering? I have been around most of the state and it appears to be a nice place.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:06 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,720,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzzz View Post
Can't put a price on happiness.
I second this.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:44 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
I have it good... I make alot of money in a city I love... Houston

If it came down to do, I would take less money to live here over alot more money to work in the 5 or so cities I would not like living in
Funny you mentioned Houston, as that seems like one of the places I would love from what I've heard about the city. I'm 22, currently in DC, and have a stable job, but the social atmosphere's nothing short of pathetic, and this is for yuppies, yes, the group that DC's apparently now marketing towards! Or maybe it's because I didn't go to an Elite University/Ivey. Or maybe because of working class background. Or maybe it's because of some "other factors" many limousine liberals will deny up the a** if I mentioned it. Anyway, the only reason why I'm still here is because the economy is a wreck nearly everywhere else in the country. And even when I make a decent amount of money and can afford the posh places, that still might turn around the attitudes of many yuppies around here.

I would love to live with a modest salary in places l would probably love like Houston, Denver, San Diego, or Seattle, than some stressful, uptight, dog-eat-dog, cliquish, segregated, limousine-liberal places like NYC, Boston, DC, or Chicago. At least in the cities I mentioned that I'll love to live in, they aren't as hung-up on one's income as a measure of their worthiness.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:30 AM

18 posts, read 47,179 times
Thanks for all the replies!

Fairfaxian: Chicago is pretty blue-collar, historically, and definitely NOT Ivy-centric like a lot of east coast places. And you'll still run into "elite" educated people everywhere, even in Denver, Houston, Chicago, etc. But you're right that DC is probably an exceptionally snobby place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.