U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

City mentality: yuppies, money flaunting, pompous drunks, cuisines variety, public transport

Old 05-30-2007, 01:29 AM

53 posts, read 327,182 times

Advertisements

The Yuppies. The Materialism.

The constant flaunting of money and success is everywhere and it's so sickening. I visited Boston a few weeks ago and was disgusted walking down Newbury Street I wanted to gag myself. I saw some loser guy drive his Bentley around to some high-end restaurant where three valet employees attend to him as if he really needed that much assistance.

There's those loud, pompous drunks or ones who are off to a bar that love to display their fashion-sense that consist of straight-leg ripped jeans and a black shirt with the COLLAR POPPED (THE AGONY ). Girls are even worse who strut around with high heels walking at such a fast pace as if they really needed to be somewhere. Oh, and their ridiculous obsession with the Chanel logos branded on every item of their clothing, especially their sunglasses.

People in the city live by the cliche James Dean maxim: Dream as if you'll live forever; live as if you'll die tomorrow.

I grew up in NYC, lived in Chicago for a few years, and I'll be moving to Boston in a few months. So, how do I put with the city if I have so much hatred to the lifestyle that exists within them? Simply the convenience, and that can be interpreted in a few ways. Public transportation is one interpretation. I loathe the love affair Americans have with cars. The variety and abundance of cuisines a city has to offer is another one. I could never eat just Chinese as an occasional dinner outing. I love ethnic food and would eat it everyday if I could. And in general, everything is closer. I find it exhausting having to make multiple stops at locations spread apart from each other. The whole exercise of getting in and out of a car is a drag.

I'm just ranting here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 01:41 AM

911 posts, read 3,248,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTypingGuy View Post

The constant flaunting of money and success is everywhere and it's so sickening. I visited Boston a few weeks ago and was disgusted walking down Newbury Street I wanted to gag myself. I saw some loser guy drive his Bentley around to some high-end restaurant where three valet employees attend to him as if he really needed that much assistance.

There's those loud, pompous drunks or ones who are off to a bar that love to display their fashion-sense that consist of straight-leg ripped jeans and a black shirt with the COLLAR POPPED (THE AGONY ). Girls are even worse who strut around with high heels walking at such a fast pace as if they really needed to be somewhere. Oh, and their ridiculous obsession with the Chanel logos branded on every item of their clothing, especially their sunglasses.

People in the city live by the cliche James Dean maxim: Dream as if you'll live forever; live as if you'll die tomorrow.

I grew up in NYC, lived in Chicago for a few years, and I'll be moving to Boston in a few months. So, how do I put with the city if I have so much hatred to the lifestyle that exists within them? Simply the convenience, and that can be interpreted in a few ways. Public transportation is one interpretation. I loathe the love affair Americans have with cars. The variety and abundance of cuisines a city has to offer is another one. I could never eat just Chinese as an occasional dinner outing. I love ethnic food and would eat it everyday if I could. And in general, everything is closer. I find it exhausting having to make multiple stops at locations spread apart from each other. The whole exercise of getting in and out of a car is a drag.

I'm just ranting here.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Old 05-30-2007, 05:21 AM

70 posts, read 296,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTypingGuy View Post

I'm just ranting here.
To be honest with you, I often have this same dilemma. I grew up in a relatively rural exurb, so I am somewhat of a country boy at heart, but I just can't live in the sticks because of lack of career, lack of entertainment, lack of good eating, recreation, other singles, etc.

The best thing you can do is find a city that doesn't fit the NY/Chicago/Boston high-paced bill, but still affords you nearly all the amenities- like Raleigh, Denver, Austin... Since New York was my "city" point of reference growing up, I feel like I'm in the country living in Raleigh, yet I have all the entertainment, great cuisine, and interesting people I could want in a big city (I know it's no New York, but I'm only one man and don't need 2,6700 good Italian restaurants, 10 will suffice).

Old 05-30-2007, 09:16 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,384,130 times
Good post! I agree with most everything you wrote. Its sickening, isnt it? Whatever happened to people just being themselves, without trying to impress everyone???? I stay far from that crowd, theyre soulless, as are their cars/neighborhoods/lifestyles. My type of crowd?

### The Hunnert Car Pileup ###

Old 05-30-2007, 02:10 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,371,995 times
What irks me is people wearing tee shirts or sweaters or other gear where the brand name of the thing is displayed in big letters on it. That is such a pathetic attempt to show that you are better than everybody else when, in fact, you are probably more neurotic than others are. I have no problem with people wanting big houses or buying BMWs. That's their business and if they can afford it bully for them. But being a boorish blowhard about your wealth is really offputting and a lot of this designer crap is just that. Understated is far more elegant and classy.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:15 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,277,384 times
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What irks me is people wearing tee shirts or sweaters or other gear where the brand name of the thing is displayed in big letters on it. That is such a pathetic attempt to show that you are better than everybody else when, in fact, you are probably more neurotic than others are. I have no problem with people wanting big houses or buying BMWs. That's their business and if they can afford it bully for them. But being a boorish blowhard about your wealth is really offputting and a lot of this designer crap is just that. Understated is far more elegant and classy.
Wealth...or lack there of. Most of these people are in debt up to their eyeballs for the sole reason of showing off. Most people that are truely wealthy don't try to show it off. The people that try to show off their "wealth" are usually the opposite. They may act like they have money on the outside but they probably live in a tiny studio apartment in a not-so-great area to afford their expensive clothing and cars.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:57 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,644,174 times
You are going to be miserable in Boston, that is for sure!

Old 05-31-2007, 12:28 PM

32 posts, read 80,227 times
Default Same or perhaps similar dilemma

My wife and I can't figure out our ideal spot either when it comes to the urban vs suburban vs rural. We cannot stand some of the attitudes and lifestyles of the suburbs (xenophobia, driving your kid half a block to the bus stop in your monster garage SUV, mocking people who recycle, using chemical weapons against the flora and fauna of your own backyard lest the neighbors should notice the imperfections to name random examples), yet unfortunately we cannot justify the cost of living and lack of space in the city. As for 100% rural, we fear that we might get depressed without any city access, our kid would lack perspective, and that we might be misfits there also.... Good to know we're not the only country/city schizos out there

Old 05-31-2007, 01:09 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,730,608 times
Wow....B_MA and others well put. I grew up in the burbs and couldn't stand it. I agree with all of your comments about superficial people and their self-centered attitudes. I found this to be a common thing in the burbs but also in the city. What I love about the BIG CITY is "access"...I like to see how different people live and find my "little enclave" of humans. There is a place for everyone and I have helped other people find what "they" were looking for, even though it's opposite to what I'm seeking.

In all, the U.S. is big and most of us share the same disinterest about boring suburbs, empty rural landscapes, everyone driving Suv's for 2 hours just to get to work. No social scene and a lack of nightlife/ent.

I think the two cities that capture what you may be seeking is Chicago and Seattle. Very similar in culture, ethnic mix and cost of living. "Still Expensive"
but NOT even close to California or NY. Vegas used to be nice but not no more...Cost of living went WAY UP and they are starving for water. It seems whenever someone finds a good place everyone moves there. Mainly because most of us are seeking the same thing.. Culturally rich community, low cost of living and access to what we like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or