Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 11:49 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,817,095 times

Advertisements

I'm not telling you to check out Newark, but it has some really good food in its Ironbound section. It has a lot of Portugese/Spanish food that I thought was the best you can find. It's right next to the Harrison Path Station, a pretty decent area.

http://www.goironbound.com/portal/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 11:54 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,561,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I'm not telling you to check out Newark, but it has some really good food in its Ironbound section. It has a lot of Portugese/Spanish food that I thought was the best you can find. It's right next to the Harrison Path Station, a pretty decent area.

Welcome to The Ironbound!
The restaurants in the Ironbound section of Newark off of Ferry St. are simply amazing.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroJimmy2 View Post
The West Coast destroys the Midwest in terms of food.

I tend to agree. Moved to Chicago last year and have tried some top spots and local faves. The seafood is borderline awful here. Certain styles of Japanese don't even exist in Chicago. The Mexican food is pretty sketchy as someone else mentioned, but what do you expect? Chicago does some foods fantastic, but overall it cannot hold a candle to no cal.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:04 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
New Orleans is way up there for serious foodies.

And Houston's scene is a dark horse in this category. Getting lots of attention lately...

Houston’s New Restaurants Reinvent Regional Cuisine - NYTimes.com

9 Ways to Taste Houston like an Expert - NYPOST.com

Houston makes great showing in semifinalist list for 2010 James Beard Awards - Houston Chronicle

Old 02-19-2010, 02:21 PM

93,302 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Yeah, plus you guys have Dinosaur (one of my favorites). Rochester has one as well downtown
True and there is one in Harlem too.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:46 AM

256 posts, read 605,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I think it's fair to say that San Francisco and New Orleans are the most widely thought-of and lauded for their food scenes.
Any large metro will provide an abundance of options, too.
But, not having any first-hand knowledge of Louisville or being very near there, I've still heard and read from an increasing number of sources that their food scene is definitely burgeoning.
Any place, like Louisville, that strongly supports the arts ahd encourages diversity and creativity (Austin, Durham, Charlottesville) is likely to draw chefs. Afterall, food is one of the arts.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:33 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,074,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbondgirl View Post
I tend to agree. Moved to Chicago last year and have tried some top spots and local faves. The seafood is borderline awful here. Certain styles of Japanese don't even exist in Chicago. The Mexican food is pretty sketchy as someone else mentioned, but what do you expect? Chicago does some foods fantastic, but overall it cannot hold a candle to no cal.
What a stupid, inaccurate post. I'm getting so tired of people creating fake accounts for the sole purpose of bashing Chicago.

L20 is considered to be among the top seafood restaurants in the world.

Despite Chicago not having a large Japanese population, you can get sushi, sashimi, tempura, hibachi, yakiniku, shabu shabu, soba, ramen, and whatever other kind of Japanese food you can think of.

How can the city with the 2nd largest Mexican population in the US possibly have sketchy Mexican food?

Old 02-20-2010, 12:34 PM

4,343 posts, read 3,557,495 times
New Orleans. And, perhaps, all of South Louisiana. Great Cajun cuisine all over the place.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:33 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,820,931 times
Portland, Oregon is a foodie paradise. Great Vietnamese, West Coast fusion, seafood, balkan food, Chinese, Ethiopian, and so on... And you cannot miss our food carts. Plus our weather is conducive to growing lots of local fruits and veggies most of the year so there is always a bounty of FRESH, local ingredients, and that can make a huge difference.

Portland's Food Cart Scene - Video Library - The New York Times

Old 03-03-2010, 09:40 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,644,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
New Orleans. And, perhaps, all of South Louisiana. Great Cajun cuisine all over the place.
I have to agree with this selection. Louisiana has some of the best restaurants in the United States, IMO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.