Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 07:08 AM

14,479 posts, read 11,273,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
My old hometown of Assonet MA had a mere 9,000 people and THREE Dunkin Donuts. Two of them were within 100 yards of each other.

I don't see the draw. Some of the donuts are good enough, but I really don't like it. I cringed when I visited Madrid, Spain and saw a D&D in Puerta Del Sol. I DO prefer Dunkin to Starbucks, but I'd much rather frequent a more local joint. Generally they're the best. I'm more than thrilled that not every state needs to be burdened with a Dunkin. It's just not that wonderful of a franchise.
The reason that DD is so successful is because it is "middle of the road".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 09:32 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I don't disagree and I live in Boston. Krispy Kreme (KK) failed miserably up here but I really only think that it was because KK is reknowned for their doughnuts and when they expended here it was during the Atkins low carb diet craze. Nobody was buying doughnuts!
Krispy Kreme failed because it was all marketing with an inferior product (the Asian Donut shops in LA were so much better and that's not saying much)

DD failed because so many people bought into KKs marketing

I last had DD in NY, and it didn't taste as good as I remember it. Maybe it was the transfat ban.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:15 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambos View Post
While Dunkin' Donuts has expanded to encompass a good market share of the US (they sell more cups of coffee per day than anybody), it truly is a different level of dedication in the Boston area. Their customers are loyal to the point of fanatasism. It's almost a way of life. People bracket themselves into categories based on where they get their morning coffee. I've never seen anything like it. "Wheas the dunkies, dude? Stahbucks? You friggin' kiddin' me dude?!?"

After coming to NYC I was able to see it for what it is. Fast food junk. Of course it's delicious, DD is practically hot melted ice cream.
I'll take a crullah!

Old 02-19-2010, 07:28 AM

14,479 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I'll take a crullah!
LOL!
How about a crassant?

Old 02-19-2010, 09:27 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Krispy Kreme failed because it was all marketing with an inferior product (the Asian Donut shops in LA were so much better and that's not saying much)

DD failed because so many people bought into KKs marketing

I last had DD in NY, and it didn't taste as good as I remember it. Maybe it was the transfat ban.
Not everyone agrees with your opinion...Krispy Kreme is certainly not an inferior product to me and to many, many others. It's much better IMO than Dunkin Donuts.

Krispy Kreme's issues were all financial - they had nothing to do with the quality of its products. Anyway, I'm not so sure that Krispy Kreme "failed".

Old 02-19-2010, 09:34 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Not everyone agrees with your opinion...Krispy Kreme is certainly not an inferior product to me and to many, many others. It's much better IMO than Dunkin Donuts.

Krispy Kreme's issues were all financial - they had nothing to do with the quality of its products. Anyway, I'm not so sure that Krispy Kreme "failed".
Its financial If you are not bringing in customers to pay the bills.

Last edited by DinsdalePirahna; 02-19-2010 at 09:42 AM..

Old 02-19-2010, 09:39 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,141,228 times
Dunkin Donuts is expensive and their donuts are filled with air. Not to mention dry out in half an hour

What I really hate about dunkin donuts is the wait. You can't grab something quick. The line takes forever because the cashier will walk away from the register to cut bagels and make breakfast sandwiches. Just another fast food franchise that is understaffed to save money.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:33 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Its financial If you are not bringing in customers to pay the bills.
KK was punished by the SEC for accounting issues that forced them to re-state earnings lower, and the stock got punished accordingly. KK's problem seemed to be too much expansion, too fast.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:54 PM

450 posts, read 1,406,519 times
I believe there are no Dunkin Donuts in the whole state of California. That is 38 million people not exposed to the brand. My opinion is the brand name is a tough one to introduce to a state where people value a "healthy image" (even though many people aren't) and associate the company only with donuts and don't even realize they have coffee. Kirspy Kreme struggles here as well.

http://fastfood.freedomblogging.com/...ifornia/24383/

Old 02-19-2010, 01:38 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
I don't do coffee from Dunkin Donuts. For some reason, I just don't care for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.