U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 06:10 PM

1,546 posts, read 3,961,492 times

Advertisements

Regardless of which mountain range a person might prefer, I feel that anyone who discounts the southern appalachian ranges as "hills" or far inferior to the rocky moutains simply does not have a strong appreciation for the outdoors. The Rockies are great. But the southern appalachian mountains have a charm and beauty that is more apparent as you become more familiar with them. Yeah, the 14ers can bowl you over at first sight, but they are never as dramatic as when you first see them. The eastern mountains by contrast lure you in slowly and leave a lasting impression that you may not fully appreciate for many years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 08:56 PM

15,394 posts, read 21,471,703 times
Appalachians= far more livable on a daily basis.
Rockies= good for extreme sports and rugged individualists

Old 03-01-2010, 08:35 PM

793 posts, read 1,284,064 times
All mountains are beautiful, but in this contest the Rockies win and few mountain ranges and mountain areas in the USA compare to the Idaho Rockies.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:55 PM

942 posts, read 811,089 times
Although the San Juans (Colorado Rockies) beat anything in Idaho, or those hills east of the mississippi.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:32 PM

2,117 posts, read 2,491,173 times
Okay, first of all: it is silly to compare Rockies vs. Smokies because obviously the Smokies cover far less terrain and are only a part of the Appalachian Mountains (and since I have never been to the Smokies I am just going to go with Rockies vs. Applachians)

1. Someone earlier (i forget who and am not going to bother checking, but props) mentioned the very important fact that the height of the mountains are not thaaat much different. 8000 ft. vs 6000 ft. That being said, I was in Colorado last week and the mountains definitely seem quite a bit taller, partially because you can see them from truly flat land which there is none of in the east. Both are mountains. Saying otherwise is just foolish. but Rockies are bigger. simple.

2. The Rocky Mountains have less vegetation. Are they brown and barren? No. After skiing through forests I can definitely say there are plenty of trees out there. Their fall colors don't match those of Appalachians but they still have rich forest. I have lived in the Rockies in NM where they are as barren as ever, and there is still plenty of beautiful vegetation. In Montana, Idaho, not to mention BC and Alberta there is pleeeeeeeenty of trees.

3. Altitude sickness? Someone said they got it every day when living there? I am not trying to be a prick, but reallly????! The only time I felt a bit dizzy was when I was at 13,000+ skiing hungover and had been at 0 ft 24 hours earlier.

Okay, so if we change it to "applachian" I am giving that the nod, simply because its the mountains I grew up going to (White Mts in NH mostly). Anyone who says these aren't mountains is an idiot. They aren't quite as epic but they are far more usuable for hiking, etc. That being said, skiing out west dominates oooooobviously.

They both are great. I gotta get myself down to Tennessee now.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:01 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,406,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
1. Someone earlier (i forget who and am not going to bother checking, but props) mentioned the very important fact that the height of the mountains are not thaaat much different. 8000 ft. vs 6000 ft. That being said, I was in Colorado last week and the mountains definitely seem quite a bit taller, partially because you can see them from truly flat land which there is none of in the east. Both are mountains. Saying otherwise is just foolish. but Rockies are bigger. simple.
8000 ft? Huh. I was sure there were a few fourteeners higher than that.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:02 PM

3,416 posts, read 3,929,347 times
He's talking about height above the surrounding countryside.

There is a bit of flat land in the TN valley. I kind of prefer viewing the Smokies from the Tennessee side because the contrast is more striking.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:37 AM

2,375 posts, read 2,880,682 times
The Appalachians may be physically easier to live in, but you couldn't pay me to deal with the people... You guys have obviously never done more than vacation there.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:10 PM

323 posts, read 696,781 times
Both are beautiful.
From my experience, though, this is what I have to say:

Rockies (more than just Colorado!): Less people (except parts of Colorado are pretty populated now); sunnier; drier (but there is still green); great powder snow; more active lifestyles; in general a more educated population; MORE EXPENSIVE to live in (in most cases); a lot of people who live in the Rockies feel like they're elite for being here - I guess that's because it IS awesome.

Smokies: Much closer to major population centers (50% of the nation's population lives within a day's drive of the Smokies National park); very green; more humble attitude; much more humid

I grew up visiting the Smokies, and I love the region - especially western NC.
But there's just something about the elevation in the West, the intense sunshine, the happy-go-lucky attitude. I prefer the drier weather out here, though it's not DESERT. There is plenty of green, it's just nothing compared to the greenness of the Smokies because it rains there OFTEN.
And in comparisons, there is nothing quite like driving West into Denver and that moment when you first see the magnificent snow-capped Rockies that just appear out of NOWHERE!

Old 03-22-2010, 06:16 PM

5,320 posts, read 6,750,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
The Appalachians may be physically easier to live in, but you couldn't pay me to deal with the people... You guys have obviously never done more than vacation there.
You may be your own best proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.