U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2007, 08:53 AM

786 posts, read 4,227,438 times

Advertisements

I just got back from a LONG trip to the Midwestern United States. We drove all over the place and interacted with hundreds of people in a wide variety of service and retail jobs. I was impressed how friendly everyone was, especially in suburban areas.

Here in the greater Washington DC area, I feel a chill when I interact with people. They are rushed, cold, unfriendly, unhelpful and distant in many cases. Of course there are exceptions. I get use to being on the defensive with when I interact with service people and expect them to treat me rudely, so I am not surprised.

During my long car trips to the heartland of America, I am so happy to be smiled at and treated with respect. It gives me a warm feeling and makes me be more friendly myself.

In what State do you think the customer service people are the best?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 09:08 AM

331 posts, read 1,455,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
Rajasthan . . . Punjab . . . Gujarat . . . Delhi . . .

Old 05-30-2007, 09:21 AM

20,005 posts, read 67,950,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagus View Post
Rajasthan . . . Punjab . . . Gujarat . . . Delhi . . .

Yeah, pretty much. Sad, isnt it???

Back on topic, I dont really know which state has the best CS. Ive never had a problem here in IL, but then again Im almost positive I wasnt talking to anyone in the country. Glad you enjoyed your trip in these parts.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:08 AM

88 posts, read 349,726 times
NOT Kentucky. Most of the CS personnel in stores and restaurants here are very sour, rude, and even smart alec IN PERSON! I've had bad over-the-phone experiences with CS personnel in Chicago and Washington, DC, also.

When you're talking to somebody outside of the U.S., you usually get pretty good CS. In person, my best experiences have been in Texas and Georgia, as well as over the phone to a call center in Oklahoma.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:35 AM

832 posts, read 3,499,401 times
Houston is good, as is Seattle. SF Bay Area is not so good.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:40 AM

301 posts, read 1,245,934 times
[quote=lovintexas;797764]

Quote:
NOT Kentucky.
My god what is with you and this grudge against Kentucky. LOL did a state trooper pull you over give a ticket or something?

Old 05-30-2007, 06:18 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,563,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I just got back from a LONG trip to the Midwestern United States. We drove all over the place and interacted with hundreds of people in a wide variety of service and retail jobs. I was impressed how friendly everyone was, especially in suburban areas.

Here in the greater Washington DC area, I feel a chill when I interact with people. They are rushed, cold, unfriendly, unhelpful and distant in many cases. Of course there are exceptions. I get use to being on the defensive with when I interact with service people and expect them to treat me rudely, so I am not surprised.

During my long car trips to the heartland of America, I am so happy to be smiled at and treated with respect. It gives me a warm feeling and makes me be more friendly myself.

In the service industry (supermarket/ meat dept) myself, and VERY critical about it.
Here are some states, that failed or passed MY test and criteria...PA- good, NC-to be desired, FL- VERY, VERY GOOD!!!, TN- so-so, West Virginia- okay.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:46 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,389,152 times
I've driven cross-country 8 times and been to 46 states. Each trip I have different experiences but I'll do my best to list the friendliest:

1. Nebraska
2. South Dakota
3. Oklahoma
4. Utah
5. Kansas

I'm an independent semi-left-winger and I'm listing the reddest of the red states as being the most friendly. Hmmm..... must ponder this paradox!

By the way, I'm a friendly white male and it's quite possible that if I were a minority or if I had an orange mohawk then I wouldn't list the above states as being friendly. It would be interesting to see lists of friendliest states towards different groups. I wonder if any areas are relatively free of prejudice in the way people treat those who are different from them.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:42 AM

134 posts, read 394,133 times
[quote=Dingler;796986]I just got back from a LONG trip to the Midwestern United States. We drove all over the place and interacted with hundreds of people in a wide variety of service and retail jobs. I was impressed how friendly everyone was, especially in suburban areas.

I remember when I was younger and my father thought that we would have to move to from Alabama to Dayton, OH. So we went up there to check the place out. Now keep in my mind I have relatives in southwest PA, so I am familiar with the north. My father has a southern accent and when he would order food in Dayton, it seemed like people gave him a cold shoulder. When we went to local mall, my father asked where a store was and the help desk person actually laughed in his face and made fun of his accent. The people were not friendly either. Maybe we were in the wrong part of Ohio, but it seemed like over in Pennsylvania, the people were friendlier and didn't snicker when my father opened his mouth.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:16 AM

119 posts, read 765,770 times
Default Friendly state

Utah is very customer service friendly.

Last edited by snowflake73; 05-31-2007 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: added more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or