Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who's more hardcore and tougher? American border agents or Canadian border agents?
Canadian? 3 15.79%
American? 16 84.21%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 01:22 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,498,171 times

Advertisements

I just moved to a town less than an hour from Vancouver, BC. I love both countries and know about Canada very well, for an American. Based on my experience so far, well, I won't say the Canadians are like one or 2 questions and let you go, however, they seem to be less nasty and don't quite go for the 3rd and fourth degree, like the Americans do.
Thanks to Bush, the CIA and 9/11, the US, with security, is run almost like a police state, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 01:26 AM

3,284 posts, read 3,511,908 times
Who's more hardcore? Probably the dumber of the two.

Who's the dumber of the two? Well that answer can be found with who has the illigal immigration problems.

The Canadians seem to be much more diligent.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:49 AM

Illegal immigration?
That's more from the Mexican border. Again the question is Canadian vs. American.
Canada also has a solid guest worker program for years, that a lot of Mexicans use, so that's another reason why they don't have a broken border like the US does.
I don't think a Mexican, is going to try to sneak into the US from Canada.
Someone from a SE Asian country, once in a while, but even that's not that rampant since most of them are happy to stay in Canada once they get there.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:15 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,800,951 times
As an American, Canadian border agents (at the airport) ask things like: Where are you going?, Why are you here?, Where are you staying?, When are you leaving?, etc. and they want specific answers. After you pass the grilling test, you are free to go.

Coming back, American agents (who are in Canada's airports) just want to go through all your stuff, and touch you all over, they don't really care why you are going home or what you did in Canada.

As a child back in the 1990's, our grandparents took my brother and I on a long road trip out of Seattle. We skirted by Vancouver, went through Jasper to Edmonton, down to Calgary, and went to re-enter the US through Bonners Ferry, ID. We almost weren't allowed back in the US, as my grandparents had no proof of my brother and I being American citizens. They were given the 5th and 6th degree by the border agents (they thought our grandparents were smuggling us to the US).....until I realized that I had my 7th grade school ID with me that clearly stated that my school was in Norco, CA.

We were set free.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:31 AM

306 posts, read 472,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I just moved to a town less than an hour from Vancouver, BC. I love both countries and know about Canada very well, for an American. Based on my experience so far, well, I won't say the Canadians are like one or 2 questions and let you go, however, they seem to be less nasty and don't quite go for the 3rd and fourth degree, like the Americans do.
Thanks to Bush, the CIA and 9/11, the US, with security, is run almost like a police state, IMO.
Since 9/11, its much harder to get here than into Canada. No comparison.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:43 AM

37,746 posts, read 40,814,062 times
Quote:

Well, it's not like US citizens are sneaking across the Canadian border in droves for freebies and jobs.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:59 AM

23,333 posts, read 43,805,028 times
The American border agents always seem to exhibit the most peculiar (but not particularly aggressive) behavior to me. My DH and I like to drive up to British Columbia when we're in his hometown of Seattle; when we're crossing back, the agents always seem to act like we arrived from the moon when they establish that we're from GA. The questions are always odd, too..."Why would you want to come clear out to western Canada from there? (Um, 'cause it's beautiful?)" "Just who did come up here to see? (Um, the sights?)" It all feels kinda Barney Fife to me at times.
Another thing: They really placed that Duty Free store at the Peace Arch way too close to the border check. The traffic is always backed up past the store's exit ramp, and leads right into the Nexus (express) Lane...it is a nightmare trying to re-enter the waiting line if you are returning from the store.

Last edited by Iconographer; 02-16-2010 at 08:49 AM..

Old 02-16-2010, 08:35 AM

648 posts, read 1,612,853 times
Quote:
Thanks to Bush? He was protecting this country. Do you know how loose Canadian immigration laws are? And you want U.S. Customs to ask a couple questions and just let people in?

I am glad security is tighter. I am not doing anything wrong, so I have nothing to worry about. Sheesh... liberals. I should be the one who is upset here. With Obama in office , I have to watch my money because if it was up to him 95% of the money I earn would go to the homeless and people with cancer tumors will be put on a freaking waiting list.

And do not get me going on "police state." You have no idea what a real police state is like. Have you been to Russia where they need no explanation to pull you over, where they will beat you into a pulp if you even open your mouth?

Anway, yes, I think American Customs agents are tougher... and good thing they are.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:09 AM

12,082 posts, read 38,728,265 times
US Customs are much more difficult now. I have spent a majority of my life in places where going to Canada was second nature. I had as many Canadian friends as I did American friends for most of my life. Used to be both sides would give you the usual questions; "Where you headed?" "How long you going to be there?" "Bringing anything back?" Only time I ever had a hard time was when young and foolish took control, and I got lippy with either side. After the new regulations went into effect, it is a whole different ballgame now. Even US border agents you KNOW, as in buy each other drinks at a bar, kids play together, etc... are a pain at the crossings. Canadian is still the same (Right down to the stupid jokes one Canadian agent feels he had to tell every time he saw me), couple questions, shoot the breeze about the weather, bets/arguments/rehash on local cross border hockey games, etc....

Old 02-16-2010, 09:53 AM

I've crossed 5 times in the last 10 days. The Canadian agents have spent no more than 1 minute with me. One of them only asked me 3 questions when I told him what was going on.
3 of the 5 the Americans have searched my car. No pull over yet, but still,
as for reply #8, well....
listen, I don't have a real issue with 4th degree ?'s for those with a criminal record, with felonies or those from countries like Iran, Pakistan, etc. But for a US born/Canadian born citizens?
Come on.
Again, cons and Bush love to talk tough on security, but they also think that Granny from MN needs to be treated the same as someone from Pakistan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.