U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2007, 12:06 PM

41 posts, read 44,868 times

Advertisements

I have been studying stats for weeks. I haven't gotten any closer to picking a place. I do have a handful of places I am considering. Please give me your
brief analysis of why I should or shouldn't move to a particular place.
For the record, I am single, male, and intend to work as a commercial truck or bus driver. I also want to buy a house. My max affordibility is 140K. Likeability is probaby my most important factor.
Everything else is mostly irrelevant, weather, crime, size, etc. Thank you.

Dallas, TX
St. Louis, MO
Cedar Rapids, IA
Indianapolis, IN
Cincinnati, OH

Last edited by Is that rain; 05-30-2007 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: pertinent info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 01:37 PM

1,765 posts, read 6,378,895 times
Dallas is too hot and crowded.

St. Louis has a noteworthy crime problem, but is probably decent, I've not been through there in a while.

I know nothing about Iowa, but it looks good on paper :-)

Indianapolis and Cincinnati -- been to both places a few times, and I'd take a job / move to either one if offered without hesitation.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:41 PM

thanks Caution, very helpful.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:54 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,650,017 times
I love St. Louis. My only experience with Cincinatti was at the ballpark, and it is a great ballpark. Have you considered Kansas City or Wichita? We're relocating to KC, Missouri this summer...we think it's great, plenty to do, housing is very affordable. Because it's almost dead center in the country, I would think it would be ideal for a truck driver. My aunt/uncle live in Wichita; my uncle is a truck driver and has no problem finding work. It's quite affordable there as well, although the terrain is too flat for my tastes.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:29 PM

75 posts, read 324,671 times
Kansas City has been investing a lot of money in its stadiums. Check out:

www kansasspeedway dot com
www kcchiefs dot com
www kcbrigade dot com
www tbonesbaseball dot com

And I would also list the Royals website if they were playing better

Kansas City also has several Bass Pro stores, Cabela's, and it is planning for a great theme park.

There are many singles activities as well in Kansas City and the price per sq ft is not bad either.

Thanks,
Ronda

Old 05-30-2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I love St. Louis. My only experience with Cincinatti was at the ballpark, and it is a great ballpark. Have you considered Kansas City or Wichita? We're relocating to KC, Missouri this summer...we think it's great, plenty to do, housing is very affordable. Because it's almost dead center in the country, I would think it would be ideal for a truck driver. My aunt/uncle live in Wichita; my uncle is a truck driver and has no problem finding work. It's quite affordable there as well, although the terrain is too flat for my tastes.
Hi Christina, actually I worked for a while for JB Hunt (trucking company)
out of Kansas City. I never got an apartment there, but I did spent my
home time in KC usually at a local motel. I simply did not like it there.
Perhaps I am too spoiled. I have always sought out cities that were
new and vibrant. To me KC seemed old and busted down. The roads
were in really bad condition, lots of pot holes. The houses seemed seedy.
The downtown library was ancient, and not in a good way. When I compare the downtown library
of KC to the library in Denver, Denver's is new and impressive.
So it is from this experience that KC has scared me away. It just didn't
seem like a place with an abundance of happy people. The employees at the KC downtown library, for example, were always rude to me. By contrast,
the people at the downtown Denver library were delighted to be working there. (I hate using the word "delighted". It sounds gay. But it seemed
appropriate). I personally love
the terrain around Witchita. But it is the isolation of it that deters me.
I wonder if all of Missouri cities have that busted up look. I spent a little
time in Springfield, and I remember the core of the city looking like
it had just been bombed by Allied Forces. This is why I am leery of St. Louis.
But I will have to see it in person to know for sure.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:30 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,650,017 times
Yes, visit St. Louis. There is definitely a different vibe in St. Louis compared to Kansas City. If you like more modern cities with a large population (no isolation) Atlanta comes to mind, but I am not sure how much house you'll get for $140k, even in the 'burbs.

lol @ ronda...I think my husband wants to move to the KC metro area solely because of the number of sports teams.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:11 PM

653 posts, read 3,132,682 times
I see on your list Cedar Rapids Iowa. 125 miles to the Northeast of there puts you in Madison Wisconsin. It's a fantastic place that you may also want to consider. One couldn't PAY ME, to live in St. Louis. Good Luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or