Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 09:11 PM

4 posts, read 8,068 times

Advertisements

Okay, I am wanting to freakin move away from here(Texas to oregon for many reasons), anyone here doneit?, and how do we start a thread?, am I just missing the "new thread buttnet?,Thanks Lonestar

OH, sorry, folks donot so much "conform" as they get quiet, folks seem to not know people here(Dallas) and of course Don't want to know anyone either, The south Definetly is not what it used to be!, I can tell you this, if you like flat scenery, rude people and flatout ugly liveing( concrete jungle, Then most Texas cities are for you!, I am done here in Texas, and the good 'ol boy system and haveing been raised in Reno Lake Tahoe, cannot wait to get back to pretty scenery, and nicer folks, Oregon is best from where I sit as houseing is more affordable and the people are nicer than the Gamblin' state

Last edited by Bo; 02-25-2010 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: combined consecutive posts into one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 08:15 AM

245 posts, read 650,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
So why then does everyone in the South ask what church you go to?
they don't. I've lived in both ends of Tennessee, western North Carolina, and now Atlanta, and I've never been asked that. I'll concede if you're an atheist, you probably should not go around announcing it or it could hurt you career-wise, but I'm not certain that's any different anywhere else. I wouldn't go announcing that in San Francisco, simply because you never know about people. Nobody gets offended if someone says "I'm not religious."

Old 02-25-2010, 09:40 AM

23,318 posts, read 43,781,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdatl View Post
they don't. I've lived in both ends of Tennessee, western North Carolina, and now Atlanta, and I've never been asked that. I'll concede if you're an atheist, you probably should not go around announcing it or it could hurt you career-wise, but I'm not certain that's any different anywhere else. I wouldn't go announcing that in San Francisco, simply because you never know about people. Nobody gets offended if someone says "I'm not religious."
Thank you for setting the record straight on that. I am so amused by the posters on here that claim if you move to the South you will be proselytized to the point of insanity.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:06 AM

3,643 posts, read 10,695,433 times
The church question doesn't come up unless you're talking about church. Other than that, people don't ask it out of nowhere. That would be kind of strange

Old 02-25-2010, 12:34 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,940,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
So why then does everyone in the South ask what church you go to?
Do you northerners and west coasters believe every ridiculous stereotype you hear? I've lived in Texas all of my 21 years and nobody has ever asked me that question unless I brought up the fact I was going to church first. That's the only time I have ever asked anybody else that question as well.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:38 PM

10,118 posts, read 15,784,451 times
I think the liberal Northeast can be very conformist depending on who you are. Try being with some yuppies being someone who shops at Walmart, makes your own coffee, goes to church every Sunday and is against abortion, gay marriage, and illegal immigration. You will NOT be accepted and WILL be shunned. Also try living in a ghetto or illegal immigrant neighborhood and see how open they are.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:03 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,290,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Also try living in a ghetto or illegal immigrant neighborhood and see how open they are.
Such neighborhoods exist in every region, including the South (in fact, it's just about a guarantee that a Southern city of a certain size will have some serious ghetto portions). So you're kind of off topic with that line.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:08 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,290,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
No, not at all.

The south, southwest and western portions of the United States are all about privacy, exclusion and the lone ranger, if you'll pardon the old-timey expression. It's mostly a culture based on being very very private.
This is an old comment, but it's a perfect example of something that drives me crazy. As a westerner, I've never understood why people lump us together with Texas and the South. We're practically opposites, as far as I'm concerned. The West is the ultimate in individualism, and the South is the ultimate in conformity.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:32 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,676,206 times
I can't speak for other regions, but I lived in TN most of my life and the pressure to conform there is significantly higher than here in Western Washington. And when living in TN I was indeed asked occasionally, and out of the blue, what church I attended. It was usually elderly folks asking. I will agree, though, that there isn't as much religious proselytizing there as people might think. I believe the reason for that is most people there just assume you're a Christian (and protestant), so they have no reason to mention it. They do talk about politics a LOT, though.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:36 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,260,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
No, not at all.

The south, southwest and western portions of the United States are all about privacy, exclusion and the lone ranger, if you'll pardon the old-timey expression. It's mostly a culture based on being very very private.
Yes, because nobody in the old south is into gossip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.