U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 08:04 AM

23 posts, read 78,699 times

Advertisements

We currently live in FL, and are considering a move out of state. I know you've all heard all the reasons why from other posters, so I won't go into that here.

We are a couple in our 40's with 2 young (3 & 6) children. We like to spend time outdoors, but do not do so much here because of the heat. We took a vacation to TN last week and enjoyed the milder weather. Neither of us mind a place with snow or cold, in fact, we prefer to raise our kids in an area that has 4 seasons.

What is important to us:
good quality schools
low crime rate
affordable living/housing

good job opportunities (hubby is in real estate, I am a CPA working for a real estate development/construction company)

easy access to family activities, particularly outdoor/water related (not
necessarily a beach...lakes and rivers that are clean are even better actually!). I figure skate so I'd love for a rink or 2 to be nearby, but that's not an absolute must.

Family-centered community, or at least a place where families are the majority, rather than retirees or singles.

Easier commute factor (I currently have a minimum 40 min. commute one way).

Friendly people (we have no friends to speak of in FL...a common thing here, I guess)

What areas do you suggest I look into?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 08:10 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,051,274 times
Try Roanoke, Virginia Its a quiet little city nestled in the Appalachian Mountains. About 3 hour drive to the beach, has its own airport to go to many larger cities, beautiful views, friendly southern charm, very decent schools, low(er) crime rate compared to many other cities, commute is low...the only issue you may have is "high job growth rate" as the city is beginning to grow but certainly not charging ahead at full speed.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:08 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,024,524 times
you might like lexington, ky.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:51 AM

1,524 posts, read 3,462,658 times
I would say Indianapolis fits basically all your criteria except for the outdoors/water one. That is one of the major reasons I am leaving here, but it is otherwise not a bad place.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:23 PM

653 posts, read 3,134,435 times
You may want to consider MADISON WI. Seriously!!

Old 05-31-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
You may want to consider MADISON WI. Seriously!!
Any particular section/areas? I've looked at WI as one of the options - mostly Appleton and surrounding area...but only briefly.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
I would say Indianapolis fits basically all your criteria except for the outdoors/water one. That is one of the major reasons I am leaving here, but it is otherwise not a bad place.

Do you mean there's a lack of outdoor activities, or water? Any particular areas to focus on? I know it's a big place.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Try Roanoke, Virginia Its a quiet little city nestled in the Appalachian Mountains. About 3 hour drive to the beach, has its own airport to go to many larger cities, beautiful views, friendly southern charm, very decent schools, low(er) crime rate compared to many other cities, commute is low...the only issue you may have is "high job growth rate" as the city is beginning to grow but certainly not charging ahead at full speed.
I will check it out....any suggestions as to sections/areas of Roanoke?

Old 05-31-2007, 08:18 PM

1,411 posts, read 2,163,433 times
We used to live in Florida as well. After moving to our perfect town in North Carolina, my husband got a job transfer, but to an area where we couldn't afford to live . . .

He's with a new company now and commutes a long way to work (he's a truck driver), his new company says we must live in TN, almsot anywhere as there are many terminals, VA along I-81, or Kentucky.

We have looked at all 3 places and we are deciding between the Tri-Cities in NE TN or our favorite, Abingdon, VA.

We, though, are on a budget, and we do not want to pay high taxes, or over 250K for a home. We also want some property . . . at least 2 acres, and we need to be near good medical, so there aren't that many places that we can look at that we can afford, and have amenities close by.

Our house is on the market here and we love it and wish we could pick it up and take it, we'd love to stay here in NC, I've made so many friends, and the kdis love it . . . but this company is good and has advancement, until then, we are still hoping he can find something else before our house sells, and we would be happy to stay here in Taylorsville, NC forever, but Abingdon, for us would be the next best thing we think.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:54 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,285,888 times
Some nominations:

Bloomington, Illinois
Peoria, Illinois
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or