Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2010, 09:06 PM

15 posts, read 57,870 times

Advertisements

I'm a native New Yorker that's looking to relocate to another city and state. After living in the boroughs my entire life I both need and want a change of pace. Also finding work here isn't exactly easy. Over the last several months I've been considering Nebraska which is where my fiance and son are staying for now however I'm open to trying other states preferably one where I can find work and begin setting up a permanent residence for my family, which is something that's easier said than done here in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 09:43 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,955,124 times
Washington, D.C.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:34 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,101,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad001 View Post
I'm a native New Yorker that's looking to relocate to another city and state. After living in the boroughs my entire life I both need and want a change of pace. Also finding work here isn't exactly easy. Over the last several months I've been considering Nebraska which is where my fiance and son are staying for now however I'm open to trying other states preferably one where I can find work and begin setting up a permanent residence for my family, which is something that's easier said than done here in NYC.

There was a recent article that said that Lincoln Nebraska has a very low unempolyment rate. Omaha is also a good choice

Old 02-22-2010, 07:12 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
The Dakotas are also in pretty good shape right now.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:29 PM

93,170 posts, read 123,783,345 times
If you want the Plains, try Sioux Falls SD, Fargo ND or Rapid City SD, along with the major cities in Nebraska.

If you wanted to stay in NY State, I would say that Ithaca, Saratoga Springs, Plattsburgh and Watertown are some smaller cities that have actually grown in Upstate NY and have lower unemployment rates.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:36 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
It seems like the major Texas cities may be your best bet:

the-best-and-worst-cities-for-recession-recovery: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

Old 02-22-2010, 02:39 PM

899 posts, read 2,286,957 times
I think the answer to your question is largely based on what it is that you do or what field you are seeking employment in. Some states or areas that are regarded as having high unemployment or bad economies might actually have some specific fields where the job outlook/prospects are strong, and where a company would be looking for someone just like you. Just my two cents from experience.

With that said, there are plenty of New Yorkers moving down to the Carolinas and other parts of the Southeast for jobs and a lower cost of living. The I-85 corridor extending from Raleigh to Atlanta attracts a lot of New Yorkers in a variety of fields.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:44 PM

19 posts, read 35,539 times
Default I can relate...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad001 View Post
Thanks for posting this. I am in the same situation and feel that maybe it's time to move on. I've come to appreciate NYC as I grew older but now with this recession and the city becoming so expensive I'm beginning to weigh my options.

Currently I'm in the construction field (union Ironworker) but I also have a background in finance and customer service.I'm looking up places like AZ,CA,NV, and TX.

I don't have anything holding me down and I'm pretty much open to any type of career.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:55 PM

93,170 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat2do View Post
Thanks for posting this. I am in the same situation and feel that maybe it's time to move on. I've come to appreciate NYC as I grew older but now with this recession and the city becoming so expensive I'm beginning to weigh my options.

Currently I'm in the construction field (union Ironworker) but I also have a background in finance and customer service.I'm looking up places like AZ,CA,NV, and TX.

I don't have anything holding me down and I'm pretty much open to any type of career.
Central New York Jobs in Customer Service/Call Centers

Central New York Jobs in Banking/Financial=

Central New York Jobs in Construction/Trades=
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.