U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2007, 04:05 PM

653 posts, read 3,134,136 times

Advertisements

MADISON Wi--Probably the most "Liberal" city in the U.S. Awesome town!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 04:22 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,733,076 times
dullnboring- Excellent post and so true. There really isn't anymore Berkeley, Venice and San Francisco how we knew it. It's been watered down a great deal. The average city known to be liberal is very "moderate" at best. Most have sold their values in order to blend in with the mainstream and pretty much go with the flow. Now it's all about making money and profit. Liberal who?....lol

Old 05-31-2007, 04:43 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,459,173 times
LOL about the identical silver Priuses and shopping at Whole Foods... keeping up with the liberal Joneses. I lived in a place like that and hated it! Blue or red... I don't like self-righteousness and holier-than-thou attitudes no matter what color they come in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
People with opposing values and political beliefs are not going to live comfortably side by side. You really don't have to be a genius to figure this out.
Okay, now I'M confused. This is not necessarily true. There are places where people with opposing viewpoints, politics, and cultures co-exist relatively peacefully; I live in one, and up until this last presidential election I think most of the US did, too. It all boils down to respect. Maybe you are looking for a liberal bubble after all?

Old 05-31-2007, 04:51 PM

1,287 posts, read 4,653,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
I was going to say LA but the cost of living is high and you asked for low cost of living.
That's the irony. The most liberal cities in America are the most expensive. Go figure.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:13 PM

7,731 posts, read 12,199,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
What city do you find to be most liberal. Liberal not only to a segment of the population be it race, gender or economic status but liberal "overall?"
A city where you can be yourself, thrives on cultural diversity, has a low cost of living and access to all your interests bearing the type of variety to please all.

This city should have the least amount of oppressive laws and have a population that represents tolerance not only on social issues, but takes pride in getting involved in making the community better for all.

Please let's keep this to "Cities" in the US. Your thoughts/experiences?

I'm split between San Francisco and Boston.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:43 PM

4,723 posts, read 13,930,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
MADISON Wi--Probably the most "Liberal" city in the U.S. Awesome town!!
But when the kids go home from college for summer--is it still so liberal?

Old 05-31-2007, 10:52 PM

832 posts, read 3,558,428 times
Berkeley/SF by far

Old 06-01-2007, 12:43 AM

369 posts, read 1,498,210 times
Philadelphia is pretty liberal i think

Old 06-01-2007, 08:54 AM

7,968 posts, read 18,096,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holloway1010 View Post
Philadelphia is pretty liberal i think
Well, with the Democrats running the show for the last 40 years or so, they're certainly not afraid to spend money in Philly. The GLBT vote has become important to mayoral candidates. And South Street is retaining some vestiges of "counter-culture" despite being assimilated by the likes of The Gap and Starbucks. However, as far as being socially liberal goes, I wouldn't put the city in the same league as San Francisco/Berkeley, Madison or Austin. IMO, the city is socially moderate on average.

The labor unions, for better or worse, are a strong presence in Philly, and are loyal to the Democratic machine that feeds them. Also, the minority population in general (and particularly blacks) feel that the Democrats are most likely to look into their interests than Republicans. But on a personal level, I think that a lot more people are socially conservative. The primarily white NE section of the city is a Republican bastion. And the black church community is rather conservative as well.

Philly is definitely the most liberal place in PA (with, perhaps Pittsburgh trailing a distant second) but there are far more progressive places out there. And I say this as a former resident who is at least slightly more liberal than the average Philadelphian.

Last edited by FindingZen; 06-01-2007 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: forgot to add my last point

Old 06-01-2007, 09:25 AM

7,968 posts, read 18,096,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
I agree that the nation's most liberal cities tend to be among the most expensive. I think some of the more liberal areas with a lower cost of living (granted, this is relative) include Madison, Austin, and quite a few college towns like Bloomington (IN), Columbia (MO), Lawrence (KS) and Ann Arbor. These places aren't so liberal that they would ever be accused of doubling for Berkeley or Cambridge, but quite liberal nonetheless and if you're looking for a place that leans heavily liberal but is more affordable, I'd say these college towns and smaller cities are your best bets. Within their respective states, these areas are expensive, but on a nationwide scale, pale in comparison to the coastal liberal meccas like San Francisco, Seattle and New York.
Interestingly enough, when I think of the "ideal" type of place I would want to live, I find myself drawn to liberal college towns. Madison and Austin seem to be the most intriguing - it helps in a sense that they're also state capitals - although I'd rather sweat through an Austin summer than shiver through a Madison winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or