U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-04-2007, 04:27 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,819,804 times

Advertisements

I heard the political tone in Houston is dominated by "conservative views" at least that's a fact in the "suburbs" of Houston. According to several "locals" they say that Houston in far more conservative than liberal. Apparently the city has a problem with human sexuality and is looking to pass more "obscenity" laws. I couldn't believe it when I read this. Something to do with the Harris County City Council and abolishing any and all forms of "adult ent" Very disturbing!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 04:36 PM

10,184 posts, read 18,630,519 times
Just thought I'd add my 2 cents regarding the Netherlands inasmuch as I lived in Amsterdam, circa 70s, for quite a few years, and immersed myself in the society and community. I speak Dutch or did fluently and my partner worked for the Dutch government.

The Netherlands is much misunderstood politically and socially--it is tolerant of what people in the US consider left-leaning social issues, but the reasons for this tolerance is not acceptance. Decisions are made that affect the "whole" not a "sector" of the community, so if legalising prostitution keeps more people healthy, prostitution is legalised. If smoking weed in a club keeps the flow of drugs from pouring into the country, weed may be smoked in selective sites and restricted to those sites.

These laws seem left leaning, but they are practical in nature by Dutch standards and does not imply liberalism. Most people in the Netherlands are moderate to conservative.

One might compare the recent legislation of same-sex marriages in New Hampshire to those examples I listed above. New Hampshire, or VT or MA, made a political and social decision that same-sex marriage doesn't harm and therefore made it legal. I don't think that MA, VT, New Hampshire are more liberal--but rather acknowledge the needs of the whole community and legalised equality in partnerships. I see these same signs of "community equality" daily in several New England communities--signs that encourage inclusion; rules that support fairness; acknowledgments that issues may occur, etc.--some of these may go unrecognized, but they are evident when you compare even the road signs in VT and MA to some other communities in the country. (And I have just driven 4800 in the last two months and some days).

Hope this is helpful, although it adds nothing directly to the issue of most liberal cities in the US--unless you think New England towns, in general, are more liberal than elsewhere in the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
Thanks for the info dullnboring....Good stuff. Just to add my 2 cents, politics on both sides of the fence can be rather complicated. For instance you can have a Democratic mayor who leans "conservatively" and a Republican who leans liberally towards social issues.

My personal preference is a society similar to the Netherlands which has a mix of all political views but heavily leans towards the far left in its social outlook and tolerance for varied behaviors. In the end, you have to select a city that feels most right for you.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:47 PM

Precisely! You have to acknowledge the needs of the "community" that's why it's important to have a city that tolerates and promotes unconventional thinking for those that don't want to live the "scripture clock." Of course, there's nothing wrong with those that do.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:49 PM

I was in the Netherlands and Copenhagen, DM a few years back and both are terrific cities. The government has always leaned to the left but made it more comfortable for all ideologies to share in the culture. Very well known for their "quality of life."

Old 06-04-2007, 04:51 PM

We need more Dutch standards....lol

Old 06-04-2007, 04:56 PM

10,184 posts, read 18,630,519 times
We'd have to change our government--seriously, and deeply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
We need more Dutch standards....lol

Old 06-04-2007, 06:03 PM

56 posts, read 145,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artichoke63 View Post
Off the top of my head:

Providence, RI
Burlington, VT
Sante Fe, NM
Northampton, MA
Asheville, NC
Durham, NC
Lawrence, KS
Eugene, OR
Ithica, NY
Boulder, CO
Portsmouth, NH
Madison, WI
Austin, TX
Marfa, TX
Good list, you could add ashland oregon, eureka/arcata california and key west also

Old 06-04-2007, 06:10 PM

13,436 posts, read 14,738,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artichoke63 View Post
Houston and Dallas are not liberal.
Nor are they conservative.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:03 PM

644 posts, read 2,391,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggies07 View Post
Good list, you could add ashland oregon, eureka/arcata california and key west also
Yes, add them to the list!

Old 06-09-2007, 04:36 AM

1,134 posts, read 103,675 times
Keeping Republican and Democrat out of this, people, I'm going to make an announcement and it is this: What city is so liberal as to welcome and protect those illegally from other countries against the law of the federal government by declaring itself a "safe haven"? What city would like to do away with the very WORD government? What city has by far the most beautiful city hall in the world, and yet allows bums to pee and defecate all over it in the ACLU spirit of freedom of speech? What city saves the planet by banning plastic bags and encourages bicyclists to shut down the streets, physically attacking 'evil' SUV's with women and children inside? What city has the most middle aged bald men in sandals swishing their silver ponytails through the cherry incense scented air? A liberal city that's inexpensive? Hardly. What liberal city can be progressive enough to put " wine in a box " in every fridge and yet not allow you to refer to it as ' FRISCO? '
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.