Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 01:57 PM

167 posts, read 553,233 times

Advertisements

I recently started my research regarding relocating to either Seattle, Portland, San Diego, Denver or Austin. I hear there are a lot of aggressive, homeless in Seattle and Portland (similar to San Fran). Do the homeless tend to concentrate in certain areas or be spread out everywhere? For example, I was in Montreal this past weekend and found large groups of homeless people of all ages congregating in the parks. So was wondering how the situation compares in these cities as well as in Denver Austin and San Diego? To compare, I live in NYC and lived most of my life in Chicago - never once faced any type of aggression, big groups, etc so wanted to compare.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 02:06 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,025,195 times
You shouldn't have any problems then. I spent many years in both Chicago, NY and CA. These are cities that have the highest concentration of homeless and it's largely due to lack of affordable housing, mental illness and other social ills.

You will find homeless in EVERY CITY with the difference being only in size and scope. The key term you mentioned was "aggressive." In my experience few homeless are that way, most are struggling to survive and keep to themselves. Usually they sit in one place most of the day asking for small change! That's NOT a big deal. A few may become aggressive but only if they're intoxicated. Homeless people rarely if ever pose a "serious" threat.

If you could handle Chicago and NY homeless you'll be alright ANYWHERE.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:09 PM

P.S. I wouldn't let "one incident" in Montreal blemish your entire outlook with negative stereotypes or you'll set yourself up for a situation to happen based on your preconceived notions. Good luck!

Old 05-31-2007, 02:18 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,609,683 times
Oddly enough,I found the homeless in Portland far more aggresive then Chicagos,why? I have no idea. I used to work in "Old Town" in Portland,and it was a hassle all the time.I had one follow me into my office when I opened it begging for "change" (called police),I had one sleeping on the stairs,who awoke when he heard me ,only to vomit(called police-never came),I had one bang on my window slurring something around noon when I was with my kids in front of Mier & Frank(busy crowded area),had one decide to take a nap on our picnic blanket while I swung the kids in Washington Park(and when I asked him SEVERAL time to leave,he left with our chips),had one hassle and swear at me cuz I wouldnt give him a ciggarette,HEY I DONT SMOKE,,I could go on and on,I dont get it---they were after me for some reason

Old 05-31-2007, 02:27 PM

Maybe Portland was the wrong city for you or maybe you overreacted? I don't know. I'm considering relocating to Portland and have never been "attacked nor harassed" by the homeless. Obviously the homeless are going to ask for help, are hungry and in need of money. Most are mentally ill and have a long history of tragedy. I'm liberal and very tolerant so maybe that's why I'm not bothered by small things. I give change whenever I can but if I don't have it no one ever put a gun to my back.....lol

I'm curious..have you found "many people" reacting like yourself towards the homeless in Portland?

Old 05-31-2007, 02:45 PM

167 posts, read 553,233 times
Supernova - just using Montreal as an example. I am not afraid of the homeless by any means or the aggression. I mean I lived in a very dangerous part of Mexico City as single, white female and was never afraid. Just find the hassling in San Fran (and Montreal) more of an annoyance if anything. Again, never once have I been bothered by the homeless that I see in NYC or Chicago and I really don't see that many, regardless if I am on Fifth Avenue, Queens or in the Bronx. Most of the ones I see on the subway are willing to do something for money (sing a song, dance a bit, etc). I asked as every liberal New Yorker I know and hear of that visits San Fran, Portland and Seattle complain about homeless people being everywhere (they don't complain so much about the homeless people themselves - besides the aggressiveness - but more about the lack of govt support and services for these people and the tolerance for them everywhere).

Nanannie - thanks...I have heard quite a lot of similar stories from friends that lived/worked there

Last edited by Guerita; 05-31-2007 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: Spelled member name wrong

Old 05-31-2007, 02:54 PM

Well, that's where the problem is. There is a lack of services and real understanding of the problem. All liberals are not the same and neither are the homeless. We as humans react based on how we're feeling at any precise moment, then there are those who simply can't stand those that are dirty, begging and in their face. Personally, the homeless don't bother me as I have never had a bad experience nor have I known of anyone who has.

Mexico City's homeless problem is nowhere near the other cities mentioned and homeless behave different in their respective states as each city bears its own unique culture. Also, I find it shocking that "liberals" would complain about "tolerance" for the homeless! That sounds like Republican territory to me.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:20 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,236,297 times
If I were trying to find a new city to live in I certainly would not look into homelessness. All big cities have them. All cities have agressive ones and some not so agressive. Whether a city is liberal or conservative which to me has nothing to do with homelessness, all cities have the homeless.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:51 PM

I totally agree all cities do have homeless, drug problems and gangs. Personally I have no problem with the homeless but I am concerned as to how people react towards them and others and what the political climate is. Some cities are pro-active and get involved, others get involved in the wrong way and you have those that do nothing.

I think everyone's different and reacts/sees things from a different perspective. It makes our society a very "interesting place"

Old 05-31-2007, 10:06 PM

942 posts, read 1,391,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
Maybe Portland was the wrong city for you or maybe you overreacted? I don't know. I'm considering relocating to Portland and have never been "attacked nor harassed" by the homeless. Obviously the homeless are going to ask for help, are hungry and in need of money. Most are mentally ill and have a long history of tragedy. I'm liberal and very tolerant so maybe that's why I'm not bothered by small things. I give change whenever I can but if I don't have it no one ever put a gun to my back.....lol

I'm curious..have you found "many people" reacting like yourself towards the homeless in Portland?
I don't know if reacting is the right word for it. It is somewhat frightening to have several homeless come up to you and hassle you for more than money. some of them are aggressive and travel in pairs and shout vulgarities and will follow you. Many of them are mentally ill, no one is trying to belittle them, but you have to understand it does frighten people that are minding their own business and that many people on a daily basis come at you. I don't know where you live, but in the past several years, we have had several stabbings by homeless or mentally ill on people that were either standing in line to go into a restaurant or the poor girl last year that worked at Mcdonalds was stabbed to death by a homeless man that was asked to sit out front and his food would be taken to him. I grew up in Boston, and the homeless there were no wheres near as aggresive or in the large numbers that are here, I don't know the cause of it here, I assume it has to do with multiple causes. The closing of the states mental hosptals, the fact that Oregon has had the highest unemployment in the country, it has improved a bit thankfully, and the large drug problem here. That and the fact Portland is a remote city, large metro areas are hundreds of miles from here, every thing in the northwest primarily is centered around either Portland or Seattle. It is commendable you have a heart for the homeless, most of us do, but we want to go about our day without being afraid of being sworn at, or a constant barrage of spare change, when some of us are barely making it, in fact I do belive many have less than alot of homeless people, its just they manage to keep a roof over their head and are not standing on a freeway ramp with signs that in some cases have gotten them more than most of us make in a days wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.