U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2010, 11:14 PM

9 posts, read 17,098 times

Advertisements

I am an early thirties professional single guy originally from Philadelphia looking to relocate.
I can work in pretty much any part of the country I want.
Aspects of a city most important to me include:
single professional women
night life
culture
outdoor/athletic activities/sports

I was thinking about Boston, Mass. or Austin, Texas.
I used to live in Fla. but i'm not interested in going there right now.
I think Chicago would be cool but the winters I hear are pretty harsh.
NYC I think would be too big for me.
I am an East Coast guy but i've heard great things about Texas.
I thought I would ask people from my own area first what they thought because perhaps some of you have been to these areas and could shed some light on what it would be like for a Philly guy to relocate in these places.
I have recently completed a lot of training in my field (12 yrs) and am looking to develop other aspects of my life so a city with a lot of amenities and plenty of professional people to meet is best for me

Am I just being silly? Should I just stay in Philadelphia?

Any serious advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 11:39 PM

4,868 posts, read 12,018,889 times
We are closing in on 7 ft of snow for this winter if I were in your shoes Id be heading for Honolulu,SD , Orange County, or Scottsdale.

Best of luck in your future decision.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:44 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,325,885 times
Philly can accomodate all that you're looking for. You'll definitely get all four seasons here evenly distributed, this year's "Snowmaggedon" notwithstanding.

To be honest, your question may be better answered on the General US forum where there may be more people who are well-traveled. Philly isn't as transient as, say, Boston or Chicago.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:53 AM

50,743 posts, read 72,884,995 times
Maybe Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, Norfolk/Tidewater area of VA, Upstate SC(Greenville-Anderson-Spartanburg-Clemson) and Columbus OH.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:25 AM

521 posts, read 1,099,376 times
Yeah, I think the OP could just tough it out this winter. From what I can tell, this winter is very abnormal for Philly area in that it usually does not snow this much. Nonetheless, I know people there who are late 20s, early 30s, professionals, who are starting to train for the Broad Street Run. In this type of weather! lol

Besides Philly, you might want to look at the West Coast towns... Seattle, Portland, San Fran. Almost opposite to the Northeast feel, but I know one Philly guy who moved out to Portland late last year (he was somewhat of a local Philly celebrity in the architecture/planning/development circles) and seems to be enjoying it up there.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:41 AM

5,969 posts, read 7,252,692 times
I would stay in Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.