U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Wich (continental) states are the most affordable coastal counties located in?
Washington 1 3.33%
Oregon 2 6.67%
California 1 3.33%
Texas 10 33.33%
Louisiana 8 26.67%
Missisippi 16 53.33%
Alabama 10 33.33%
Florida 6 20.00%
Georgia 6 20.00%
South Carolina 8 26.67%
North Carolina 3 10.00%
Virginia 1 3.33%
Maryland 2 6.67%
Delaware 1 3.33%
New Jersey 2 6.67%
New York 1 3.33%
Connecticut 1 3.33%
Rhode Island 1 3.33%
Massachussets 1 3.33%
New Hampshire 1 3.33%
Maine 5 16.67%
Alaska 7 23.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 01:41 PM

266 posts, read 212,539 times
Default Which states are the most affordable coastal counties located in?

In terms of tax properties , general taxation , real estate market , medical tickets , gasoline and any other bills etc
I mean this , if I wanted to live by the sea what would be the most affordable place?
multiple choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 04:12 PM

7,413 posts, read 3,088,550 times
I picked Alabama but the same would apply to Mississippi in my opinion. Any other coastal state would be very expensive except Alaska.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:17 PM

4,236 posts, read 5,654,888 times
I would say Mississippi, but insurance for coastal Mississippi has to be just as high if not higher than Louisiana so I don't know. I can tell you that taxes, gas, etc. would be cheaper in MS, except for the grocery tax. Coastal Texas might be affordable, but I don't know by how much. Florida and Coastal Alabama are known vacation spots so they may be more expensive. Southeastern Louisiana is too "bleepin" expensive no matter how you look at it.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:51 PM

2,118 posts, read 2,349,242 times
downeast Maine is probably one of the more affordable coastal areas. Select areas of the west coast that are unpopulated would be quite cheap (yes even in CA!). Alabama and Mississippi- maybe, but their coastal areas are relatively small and developed so I wouldn't say the cheapest.

I would have to give the nod to Louisiana and Texas where there are significant stretches of affordable areas along the coast.

I would loooooove for DailyJournalist to explain their picks. Only the southern states are ommited? So you really think Louisiana has more expensive coastal property than New York??
.....you do know expensive real estate is not exactly a great thing in and of itself?

Old 02-24-2010, 08:03 PM

4,236 posts, read 5,654,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
downeast Maine is probably one of the more affordable coastal areas. Select areas of the west coast that are unpopulated would be quite cheap (yes even in CA!). Alabama and Mississippi- maybe, but their coastal areas are relatively small and developed so I wouldn't say the cheapest.

I would have to give the nod to Louisiana and Texas where there are significant stretches of affordable areas along the coast.

I would loooooove for DailyJournalist to explain their picks. Only the southern states are ommited? So you really think Louisiana has more expensive coastal property than New York??
.....you do know expensive real estate is not exactly a great thing in and of itself?
It's not more expensive then New York, but to be in the south and to be in Louisiana it is extremely expensive. Compared to the avg. income, housing and rents are unaffordable. Flood insurance is through the roof and most insurance companies refuse to write in the area forcing you to opt for the rediculously expensive state policy. Auto insurance is some of the highest in the nation (for the most laxed requirements at that). Land is scarce and very expensive. $600-$700 a month will barely get you 500 sq ft in the worst neighborhood. You'll be lucky to get 500 sq ft for $1000 a mo. in a so-so area.

The cost of living in southeast Lousiana and that of the rest of the state are extreme opposites.

Oops.. Didn't realize you were addressing DailyJournalist's choices.

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 02-24-2010 at 08:12 PM..

Old 02-25-2010, 12:03 PM

266 posts, read 212,539 times
Quote:

As soon as I've checked his picks I thought he was "somewhat" biased (maybe he is a realtor...) how could one have only picked as affordable what are assumed as being the most expensive states!!??

Connecticut , Rhode Island , New York , Massachussets and the likes

Old 03-01-2010, 12:59 PM

423 posts, read 607,688 times
....try the Great Lakes states

Old 03-05-2010, 02:27 PM

5,974 posts, read 3,303,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian (x)lurker View Post
As soon as I've checked his picks I thought he was "somewhat" biased (maybe he is a realtor...) how could one have only picked as affordable what are assumed as being the most expensive states!!??

Connecticut , Rhode Island , New York , Massachussets and the likes
No I am not a realtor, but my question to you is why would you add those states to your poll only to criticize the posters that choose to vote for those states? To me affordabilty has more to do than just how cheap I can buy a house, wages and job opportunities are also important factors of affordability.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:40 PM

5,992 posts, read 6,838,051 times
Michigan

Old 03-05-2010, 02:50 PM

8,490 posts, read 10,793,328 times
Quote:
You have to understand with some people that it is not as important to actually answer a question truthfully as it is to just vote for states that they like.

There is no reasoning for it and to expect any is asking too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.