U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 02:56 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,900,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
Toledo is one of the best: I-80, I-90, and I-75. I don't know if any city other than Chicago (with 4) has as many major 2 digit (X0, X5) expressways.
I think St. Louis is great because not only does it have an XO and X5 route, it arguably has 3 interstate routes ending in "4". East-west routes ending in "4" tend to be major connectors between XO routes and serve as great diagonal routes. I-44 connects you 600 miles southwest to I-40 to get to LA, I-64 runs southeast all the way to Hampton Roads, Virginia, and you also have a very efficient connection to I-24 in Illinois, which runs diagonal southeast towards Florida, where it ends at I-75. Interstates ending in 4 serve as major connectors between (X0 and X5 routes). To have those in combo with XO and X5 routes are just as good as it gets (Chicago has I-94, which is a good alternative to I-90 if you're going west toward Billings). an interstate intended mainly for St. Louis traffic via I-64 East to I-57 South. The only exception to this rule is obviously I-4 in Florida, but then again that is a diagonal east-west connector between two major X5 routes. Gotta love the "X4s" too People from Indy, St. Louis, Nashville, Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Cincinnati, Oklahoma City, Salt Lake City, Portland, Tulsa, Louisville, Richmond, etc. will all tell you the importance of an X4 route. They provide major connections between different regions of the United States, places diagonally apart in distance. I-64 is half-transcontinental even, and I-94 is nearly half-transcontinental too! I-44 is not transcontinental but it is a very long interstate highway...I personally think it should be extended southwest from Wichita Falls to El Paso and ultimately the Mexican border. Also, the "7" routes are pretty decent too. They provide nice connectors due south from the cities they originate in while avoiding passing through major cities. I-57 and I-77 begin in Chicago and Cleveland respectively and then basically avoid any other major cities of those sizes and head due south to connect to other X5 routes. (I-57 to I-55, I-77 to I-85 or I-95 depending on whether you want to go towards Atlanta or the East Coast.

Last edited by ajf131; 06-03-2007 at 03:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Indy isn't too bad. I'd put it in the same category as Louisville, which I also believe has great freeway access.
I guess Louisville is pretty decent. It certainly has all the interstate highways it needs for a city its size IMO. Adding a fourth doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to me. I-65, I-64, and I-71 pretty much give Louisville the access it needs, although I think they need a freeway linking it southwest across Kentucky. Maybe the might bring Interstate 66 to Louisville. That is supposed to be extended to Wichita, snake across the Southernmost parts of Missouri and then into Kentucky. Then it will head northeast and somehow connect to the existing I-66 in D.C.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:52 PM

554 posts, read 2,279,429 times
Indianapolis & Chicago.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:07 PM

653 posts, read 3,132,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Chicago, hands down. Just look at the map.
It might have the most connections--but it also has the WORST freeways in the entire United States. HANDS DOWN!!!!!!

Old 06-04-2007, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Toledo is one of the best: I-80, I-90, and I-75. I don't know if any city other than Chicago (with 4) has as many major 2 digit (X0, X5) expressways.
Well I'm not sure of you could technically argue Toledo to be served by 3 different expressways. You have to remember that I-80 and I-90 are one expressway from Chicago to Cleveland. It's essentially no different from having one expressway. But yes I do agree that Toledo is a nice place to be. They have been talking of extending I-72 (an interstate that runs between Hannibal, Springfield, and Champaign, IL just north of the St. Louis metro area) east from it's current terminus at Champaign, IL to Toledo. There are already definite plans to extend I-72 west to St. Joseph, a city in NW MO just north of Kansas City.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:32 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,280,822 times
Extending I-72 from Champaign to Toledo would be great, if I could take US-23 north to Ann Arbor and then my fav route back home to Oakland County. I-75 between Toledo and Detroit is awful.

I-94 across Michigan can be either good or bad, depending on traffic and construction. They should really make it three lanes all the way across the state. Yes, that would involve rebuilding the whole thing through Jackson.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
It might have the most connections--but it also has the WORST freeways in the entire United States. HANDS DOWN!!!!!!
I agree. Interstate 90/Interstate 94 and the Dan Ryan and Edens Expressway (I think thats the name of the expressway that carries both I-90 and I-94 southeast towards downtown Chicago? I know I-55 is the Stevenson since I've driven to Chicago from St. Louis many times) is horrendously traffic jammed and the fact that many of Chicago's expressways are tolled does nothing to relieve congestion. Chicago either needs a decent bypass route of downtown Chicago to the northwest or they need to remove the tolls. Interstates 80 and 39 can only do so much for such a big city.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:33 PM

4,852 posts, read 8,989,338 times
Quote:
I was also about to say that Chicago was the only one. But after thinking about it, DFW has 4 main-line interstates (I-20, 30, 35 E & W, and 45).

Old 06-06-2007, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I was also about to say that Chicago was the only one. But after thinking about it, DFW has 4 main-line interstates (I-20, 30, 35 E & W, and 45).
KerrTown, there is one problem with your statement about Dallas. I-30 is not actually a true X0 route, because it is only from Little Rock to Dallas, it's not a transcontinental east-west route. It plays somewhat the same role as I-44 does. I-44 provides a direct link between Interstate 40 and Interstate 70. I-30 provides a direct link between I-20 and I-40. Likewise I-74 provides a direct link between I-70 and I-80. Also, I-45 may link Dallas and Houston, but it might as well be considered a segment of I-35 because it's not again a true X5 (transcontinental north-south route). Chicago in terms of connections has two true X0 route (I-80 and I-90) and two true X5 routes (I-55 and I-65). Atlanta is one I'd be willing to count as major because I-85 while not a transcontinental X5 route is a decent length covering all of the Southern east coast states and connecting to I-95 while going through major cities like Columbia, Charlotte, Spartanburg, etc. Atlanta has pretty decent connections. I-75, I-85, and I-20 and also I-16 give Atlanta very decent connecting routes. Atlanta as an excellent city for transportation. And while I-30 may not be a transcontinental route, that doesn't minimize its importance. I-30 provides Dallas an important direct connection to the Upper Southern states, while I-20 gives Dallas a direct connection to the Deep South, and I-35 gives Dallas a decent north-south routing. However I think Dallas needs a more direct connection to Denver and the northwest. Currently they don't have an efficient connector route there. Perhaps I-27 should be extended southeast from Lubbock to the Dallas metro area and northwest to Denver. I think that might be a good idea. I think I-45 and I-30 should have been given other numbers than the ones they currently have because they don't have even close to a decent enough length to be considered true X5 and X0 routes. I-85 is okay because it is almost 700 miles long, that's a long enough route to me, only 200 miles shorter than I-55 and I-65. I personally think our interstate highway system has much room to grow, ESPECIALLY in Texas! I think Missouri has room for growth too. I-44 is Southern Missouri's only east-west interstate and it's not even due east-west it's as close to diagonal an interstate as they come. I-66 could give that missing connection should it be extended from where it terminates just west of D.C. in Virginia at I-81 to Wichita, KS. I-49 is already planned to be extended from Shreveport, Louisiana north to Kansas City. The states east of the Mississippi River already have enough interstates. I think it's the states west of the Mississippi that need more transportation routes and each of these states have more than enough room for them.

Last edited by ajf131; 06-06-2007 at 12:17 AM..

Old 06-06-2007, 01:23 AM

369 posts, read 1,496,969 times
I think Atlanta has the best as far as fast accessibility to other places.
I know that New Orleans' interstates, though they may not be the worst as far as fast accessibility, I think are to vulnerable to hurricanes. Has anyone driven over the twin spans (I-10 bridges from New Orleans East to Slidel) lately, half of the Southbound span is now made out of prefabbed metal sections because of Katrina. Am I the only one who has wondered why the U.S. 11 bridge fared so much better than the twin-spans, It's just wierd because they are pretty close to one another and U.S. 11 had hardly any damage. I guess it could have been worse, the twin spans are still usable. They did, after all, fare much better than the U.S. 90 bridges on the MS gulf coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or