U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 04:35 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,606,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I was also about to say that Chicago was the only one. But after thinking about it, DFW has 4 main-line interstates (I-20, 30, 35 E & W, and 45).
Can you really count both I-35's? And I-30 isn't that big of an interstate either. I-45 ends down in Galveston. I would say only I-35 and I-20 for DFW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 04:36 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,904,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Can you really count both I-35's? And I-30 isn't that big of an interstate either. I-45 ends down in Galveston. I would say only I-35 and I-20 for DFW.
My thinking exactly Guerilla. I-35E and I-35W serve Dallas and Fort Worth respectively and then reunite with one another outside of the city. And I-30 and I-45 are not true X0 and X5 routes. Dallas' freeway set-up to me is most similar to that of Cleveland and Akron. Interstates 80 and 76 used to be called I-80N and I-80S. I-80N was not the Ohio Turnpike, in fact the ohio Turnpike was not even originally signed as an Interstate where it bypassed Cleveland to the south originally. I-80N is what is now I-480 in Cleveland. Later I-80N was renamed I-480, I-80 was signed on the Ohio Turnpike from Youngstown and all the way west to where the Ohio Turnpike became I-80 and I-90 merged together just west of the Cleveland metro area. I-80S was renamed I-76 later. Honestly, if you look at the Cleveland-Akron set-up, and compare it to the Dallas set up, the similarities are quite striking. The only difference is that I-76 terminates at I-71 and only meets I-80 onetime in Youngstown. East of youngstown, I-80 and I-76 interchange freeways...I-80 goes from heading southeast to heading northeast, while I-76 changes from northeast-bound to southeast bound where it passes through Pittsburgh and then heads further southeast where it meets I-70. The two stay joined to Breezewood, where I-70 departs southeast to Baltimore and i-76 continues due east towards Philadelphia and Camden, NJ.

Last edited by ajf131; 06-06-2007 at 04:52 PM..

Old 06-07-2007, 12:04 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,282,517 times
We are talking connections; split and auxiliary interstate routes within the metro area fall under the category of 'freeway networks' within the metro area, not connections to other exciting places, like oh you know, Cleveland.

I still like Cleveland jokes, thanks for asking.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:09 AM

Los Angeles has a pretty decent freeway network, as does San Diego. San Diego has two X5 routes...I-5 and I-15 both running all the way to the Canadian border. Plus I-8 connects to I-10 giving it direct access across the country. I-15 also provides easy connections to I-40 further north in California and I-70 in the central part of Utah. Los Angeles has I-10, I-5, I-15, and I-40.

Old 08-04-2007, 06:05 AM
Status: "Dow hits new high - over 27,000!" (set 2 days ago)

46,857 posts, read 37,027,875 times
Talking How About Oklahoma City?

I'd have to make a case for Oklahoma City being "America's Corner", because you've got I-35 and I-40 coming together, connecting coast-to-coast and border-to-border, plus I-44 connecting to St. Louis. Several of you have mentioned Texas highways, and let me say this: We don't have enough interstates in Texas. I-45 could be extended north to Tulsa from Dallas and connect with I-44. Then you have no diagonal from Lubbock to Abilene, Austin and Houston, and a road should have already been built in that area (I-18?), and that would make for some great connections from the Texas Gulf Coast all the way to the Great Plains. I-44 should just end at Wichita Falls and connect with a future corridor tying Fort Worth with Amarillo. There has actually been talk about that. Then Wichita Falls could have a road along U.S 82 stretching to Lubbock and then move northwestward to Clovis and Santa Rosa (possibly I-34). I realize these unbuilt corridors may or may not happen, but we can dream, can't we?

Old 08-04-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I'd have to make a case for Oklahoma City being "America's Corner", because you've got I-35 and I-40 coming together, connecting coast-to-coast and border-to-border, plus I-44 connecting to St. Louis. Several of you have mentioned Texas highways, and let me say this: We don't have enough interstates in Texas. I-45 could be extended north to Tulsa from Dallas and connect with I-44. Then you have no diagonal from Lubbock to Abilene, Austin and Houston, and a road should have already been built in that area (I-18?), and that would make for some great connections from the Texas Gulf Coast all the way to the Great Plains. I-44 should just end at Wichita Falls and connect with a future corridor tying Fort Worth with Amarillo. There has actually been talk about that. Then Wichita Falls could have a road along U.S 82 stretching to Lubbock and then move northwestward to Clovis and Santa Rosa (possibly I-34). I realize these unbuilt corridors may or may not happen, but we can dream, can't we?

Interstate 44 doesn't need to be extended to Fort Worth, I-35 already directly connects Oklahoma City to Fort Worth. I-44 I think oughta be extended to, like you said, Abilene. This would provide a direct connection to I-20 and ultimately to I-10 for westbound traffic. Even better..why not just extend I-44 all the way to El Paso or the Mexican border?

Old 08-04-2007, 09:21 AM

4,852 posts, read 8,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I agree. Interstate 90/Interstate 94 and the Dan Ryan and Edens Expressway (I think thats the name of the expressway that carries both I-90 and I-94 southeast towards downtown Chicago?)
No it's named the Kennedy Expressway.

Quote:
Chicago either needs a decent bypass route of downtown Chicago to the northwest or they need to remove the tolls. Interstates 80 and 39 can only do so much for such a big city.
On I-39 once you reach Rockford, it is co-signed with I-90 and it's tolled all the way to Wisconsin. You can't go to Wisconsin on a freeway and not expect to get out without a toll!

About L.A., I-15 doesn't even make it anywhere close to L.A. San Bernardino is very far away and it seems to be more interested to get to San Diego than L.A. Sadly there is no direct route to Las Vegas from the L.A. Valley.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:33 PM

Default Clarification

Quote:
Interstate 44 doesn't need to be extended to Fort Worth, I-35 already directly connects Oklahoma City to Fort Worth. I-44 I think oughta be extended to, like you said, Abilene. This would provide a direct connection to I-20 and ultimately to I-10 for westbound traffic. Even better..why not just extend I-44 all the way to El Paso or the Mexican border?
You didn't read my post carefully, my friend. I simply suggested that I-44 should just terminate at Wichita Falls, not go to Fort Worth. To clarify, U.S. 287 is being talked about for a possible I-32 corridor which would link Fort Worth with Amarillo. Wichita Falls just happens to be in that path, with 44 as an interchange connecting in north Wichita Falls. That was simply what I said. I never mentioned Abilene except for a non-existent, but possible, connection with Lubbock. U.S. 277 can intersect the possible freeway (if built) at Anson and can run concurrently with the future interstate down to Abilene. That same highway would have potential to stretch from Lubbock to Houston. 277 is being upgraded right now from Wichita Falls to Abilene, but I would not recommend 44 to go that way when roads that can be built for the cities I've mentioned are not yet built. It's just speculative right now -- nothing is in concrete yet (pun intended). With federal funds lacking, it may be long time, if ever, before those roads get built.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:48 PM

Default One More Thing

Quote:
Another thing: As far as your I-44 idea to El Paso, that may not be a real bad idea if Lubbock is involved in the path. That could be accomplished from Wichita Falls along U.S. 82 and would not be a bad idea for international trade alternatives, but it would be quite drastic. You may end up either on U.S. 70 to Las Cruces or U.S. 54 to El Paso once you are in New Mexico. But, still, I can't see 44 going beyond Wichita Falls. A more realistic idea would be new roads and new numbers.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:21 PM

11 posts, read 79,666 times
Although I live in the Chicagoland area, I wouldn't vote them as highway connections unless they finished a few of the killed project. One of them being the downtown bypass you mentioned, which was the to be the Crosstown Expressway I-494. This was briefly revived last year. Was to start at the junction and head south paralleling Cicero to Midway, then swing east roughly along 63rd st. It would terminate at the Skyway, just south of where the Skyway splits from the Bishop Ford. If that's the case, I-490 makes better sense as a numerical designation. Chicago also needs to build 53 north of its current terminus at Lake-Cook Road and extend it up to IL120 and veer it easterly into I-94 creating a full second bypass (or third if Crosstown was built). Also finish the Illinois portion of the US12 freeway that Wisconsin started. That would make sense to terminate into the 53 extension creating another Northwest/Southeast route. Also, finish the Elgin-O’Hare. My last suggestion would be to create the link from the Bishop Ford (I-94) expressway at 103rd and Stoney Island up to Lake Shore Drive along Stoney. There is a short stub expressway coming off the Bishop Ford with one exit and then the expressway terminates at 95th St (US12/20). There is an extremely wide median along Stoney Island and an interesting interchange with the Skyway with large elevated ramps which would have connected it with the Stoney Island Expressway. Perhaps this road would have been designated as I-494 as it would have connected with Lake Shore Drive and then up to a connection with the never finished Ohio Street Feeder. My last suggestion would be to continue I-355 south of its current terminus at I-80, southeasterly to I-65. If all that would happen, Chicago would really ROCK.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or