Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 11:35 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,414,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just wondering, but what do you mean by not growing up in AA culture? what is ironic, I believe you are from a community in western MI, right? I looked it up and it was more diverse than the school district I grew up in. I understand that community doesn't have a very high Black percentage, but from the looks of things, it still had a decent Black population in terms of percentage(about 12%) and is in an area where there are other communities with decent to very high Black percentages. So, was it a thing of choice or just honest exposure? I'm not asking to challenge you, but to let you state where you are coming from.
I didn't actually grow up in Niles, Michigan. I moved around a lot as a child, but most of the areas I lived in were overwhelmingly white. During my fifth and sixth grade years, I was the only black kid in the entire school. Also, the way I was brought up is also important. My parents were both college-educated people from diverse communities, and they brought me and my siblings up in a way that was different from that of many blacks. They spoke proper English, lived in predominately white communities, had diverse circles of friends, listened to wide ranges of music and made significant amounts of money. Today, I speak standard English, I can't speak Ebonics/slang, I dress in a standard, non-ghetto/hip-hop way, I listen to Rock and Country music, not Rap or R & B, I go to a majority white church (and always have), most of my friends are white (I don't have ANY black friends), I prefer dating white women, etc. I'm not going out of my way to avoid AA culture or making black friends, the fact is that I just don't relate to or have much in common with people from that cultural background.

Quote:
Also, like others have said, it's not like you are going to find that "perfect" place, but the South does allow Black folks the avenue to have better opportunities in many places and things right now. Really, it always has.....
I think the issue for me is that I DON'T fit into the black stereotype, and it's bothersome to hear people paint ALL blacks with a broad brush as if we are ALL the same. I know SOME people may prefer the South, but I would loathe every second of living there. I'm tired of people suggesting I move South because of the color of my skin and what they assume my culture to be. I'm a Midwest guy, and proud of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 11:43 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
I didn't actually grow up in Niles, Michigan. I moved around a lot as a child, but most of the areas I lived in were overwhelmingly white. During my fifth and sixth grade years, I was the only black kid in the entire school. Also, the way I was brought up is also important. My parents were both college-educated people from diverse communities, and they brought me and my siblings up in a way that was different from that of many blacks. They spoke proper English, lived in predominately white communities, had diverse circles of friends, listened to wide ranges of music and made significant amounts of money. Today, I speak standard English, I can't speak Ebonics/slang, I dress in a standard, non-ghetto/hip-hop way, I listen to Rock and Country music, not Rap or R & B, I go to a majority white church (and always have), most of my friends are white (I don't have ANY black friends), I prefer dating white women, etc. I'm not going out of my way to avoid AA culture or making black friends, the fact is that I just don't relate to or have much in common with people from that cultural background.

I think the issue for me is that I DON'T fit into the black stereotype, and it's bothersome to hear people paint ALL blacks with a broad brush as if we are ALL the same. I know SOME people may prefer the South, but I would loathe every second of living there. I'm tired of people suggesting I move South because of the color of my skin and what they assume my culture to be. I'm a Midwest guy, and proud of it.
I think the issue is we have too many blacks like you who try to come off as sincere, but in reality you stereotype and judge blacks just like all the other races. Your post have always come off to me as talking down on the black race instead of actually just trying to make a point.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:46 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,414,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I think the issue is we have too many blacks like you who try to come off as sincere, but in reality you stereotype and judge blacks just like all the other races. Your post have always come off to me as talking down on the black race instead of actually just trying to make a point.
No. There was a previous post where the person said black culture consists of "dress, slang, food, music, etc." I didn't bring up those stereotypes. I'm not racist, and I don't look down on anyone for their race or culture.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:51 AM

93,319 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:

I don't think anyone has been saying or telling to move to the South, but they are trying to show you why so many Black people are moving to the South.

Also, found your post interesting as you in turn are stereotyping Black people due to how YOU grew up, like Black people aren't taught to speak "standard" English, dress properly or even if they grow up in overwhelmingly white communities(which I did) that they don't or shouldn't have a sense of history/cultural/social awareness. Eventhough my parents didn't go to college, they still had enough sense to make sure their children knew how to dress, speak and to get an education. I think this is why people need to be careful about what they think the Black experience is, especially if Black folks themselves aren't telling that story. That in turn could be holding people back from honestly putting things into perspective and from opening themselves up to something that is new and they might even like, in that regard.

Then, it seems you went from "diverse" everything to going totally another way. So, I just found that to be "ironic" as well.

I wonder what your parents upbringing was like too.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:57 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
No. There was a previous post where the person said black culture consists of "dress, slang, food, music, etc." I didn't bring up those stereotypes. I'm not racist, and I don't look down on anyone for their race or culture.
When I mentioned those things; I'm talking about things that you won't get or experience in majority white areas. However, blacks aren't just confined to that.

You say remarks like you were taught proper english or not to use ebonics or you are not ghetto like other blacks. Is this how you think of Black america?? Your parents obviously didn't teach you enough if you think like this about YOUR own people.

Maybe a trip down south is what you need in order to give you some type of experience or education on African Americans.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:59 AM

93,319 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Technically, that poster is correct: (According to the US Census)
42.6% White
36.1% Hispanic
12.1% Asian
6.0% Black.
27.1% foreign born

Historically though, this backs up the trends in California. This state has always been a MUCH more Hispanic and Asian state than it has been a Black or White state. As a person who's considered 'Asian American', being the smallest 'minority' group in the United States really hasn't adversely affected my life that much though, and I've lived in places outside of California. In fact, people treat me nicer because they want to get to know more about my background. It's actually pretty awesome, come to think of it.

http://www.census.gov/population/www...0056/tab19.pdf
The only time in California history when Blacks WEREN'T the smallest US census defined racial group is between 1950-1980, and Hispanics (mostly Mexicans) always outnumbered Blacks. However, unlike Asians and Hispanics, African Americans and Blacks in California in general seem like a much more monolithic cultural grouping than either other group, which gives them somewhat more power in California (in addition to actually have citizenship and voting in the political process).

To be honest with you though, California has a new problem when it comes to race-relations. I honestly believe that the different immigrant and ethnic groups in California almost don't like each other (minority to minority racism), and tend to separate off into their own little worlds without branching out. None of this is really the White man's fault either, despite the declaration of many of my friends at Berkeley that it is (very intellectually dishonest).

Given time, things will get better. However, I can see why many in the African-American community want to be around those more like themselves. It's a natural human instinct to do that.

As for the OP, I believe that Atlanta will probably be considered the 'Black Mecca' for many years to come. However, all of the 'New South' seems to be growing in popularity amongst people of all ethnicities, but it seems like Blacks have had a bigger influence and threshold in Atlanta for much longer. Just IMO.
Your ethnic/racial background might have a lot to do with that reaction. Sad, but true given the "model minority" tag that Asians are given by many in the "larger" society, along with simple curiosity.

Also, I believe socio-historical aspects have a lot to do with why Blacks are leaving for the South in terms of opportunity and cultural exchange. Meaning, a lot of times things such as integration, for example, are done on the terms mainly of the larger culture and at the expense of institutions that said groups built or were strictly relegated to.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:00 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,084 times
Quote:

It seems that you fall into the trap that many mainstream Americans do, conflating black urban pop culture with black culture. To me, growing up in rural Texas, that picture of black life is about as far from the essence of black/Southern culture as it gets, or at least is a fairly recent phenomenon having no bearing on the real day-to-day life of the average black person. The black stereotype is just that, and not an accurate representation of any actual facet of black culture. Where I come from in Houston, a young black male you may assume is a thug is sooner to be the son of an engineer, from a middle-class or upper middle class family than from ghetto streets.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:59 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,383,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Your ethnic/racial background might have a lot to do with that reaction. Sad, but true given the "model minority" tag that Asians are given by many in the "larger" society, along with simple curiosity.
Well, Filipinos in California don't have as great of a reputation as you would think. Non-Asians think we are 'Asia's Mexicans' in a lower class than the Japanese, Chinese and Koreans, and other Asian groups somewhat look down on us as if we're dirty. Even within the Filipino community, people separate themselves off into different language groups. I myself am a religious minority (Muslim) in the Philippines whom, before the 1980s, didn't even really have status as a fellow human being.

I pretty much don't like how other Americans avoid the issues in poor Asian communities (Hmong, Laotian, and Cambodian Americans are amongst the poorest ethnic groups in the US), as if they don't exist. I've been prejudged so many times by people of other ethno-racial groups (even Blacks) to have had this 'middle class life' where 'everything was handed to me'. I'm sure my neighbors in North Hollywood, friends and family in Long Beach, and communities in the Bay Area would respectfully disagree. I just wonder when that life of luxury will come to me...

It's nothing at all like being Black in America. That experience is something I can't ever understand simply because I'm not Black.

Quote:
Also, I believe socio-historical aspects have a lot to do with why Blacks are leaving for the South in terms of opportunity and cultural exchange. Meaning, a lot of times things such as integration, for example, are done on the terms mainly of the larger culture and at the expense of institutions that said groups built or were strictly relegated to.
I agree with that. However, there is something about Atlanta that seems to attract more Blacks than other large cities in the South. Ironic, considering the South's reputation of being extremely racist against Blacks. However, in the larger scheme of things, it makes sense.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:16 PM

649 posts, read 1,423,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
I know that I'm going to get cursed out! I don't care. In the near future, I think Atlanta will be the Detroit of black people. Black people will move from here and move in droves to places like Houston and Dallas. Atlanta has played a big role in black media, but it hasn't lived up to a successful black haven like it portrays according to a lot of my friends. I'm okay, of course, but I'm only 1 of the 1.7 million blacks. However, the Hispanic population will grow much faster than the black population here.
Dude you don't live in Atlanta. You stay with your parents in Alabama(Huntsville) and you're only like 17. I knew you were a fake. Stop acting like you live in Atlanta.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:24 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,062,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Paul Quinn is the HBCU in Dallas. There are plenty of HBCU in Texas, Wiley College (You remember Denzel Washington movie the Great Debater centered around Willey College). Jarvis Christian University, Prairie View A&M, Texas Southern University. Huston-Tillotson University, Texas College, Southwestern Christian College, St. Phillips College
Thank you for sharing this with me. I honestly didn't know that. The next time I take a trip to Dallas I must check that out. I have been to the HBCU in Atlanta, was engaged to a Moorehouse man, but didn't know that they existed in Texas. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.