U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 11:01 AM

3 posts, read 24,344 times

Advertisements

I am a gay asian in my late 20s. Being in New England for years, I find gay guys here are not very attracted to asian. I am hoping to relocate to a city where the gay community doesn't have too much stereotype again asians. I heard the west coast was better. Is that true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 11:14 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,355,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blnakhaet View Post
I am a gay asian in my late 20s. Being in New England for years, I find gay guys here are not very attracted to asian. I am hoping to relocate to a city where the gay community doesn't have too much stereotype again asians. I heard the west coast was better. Is that true?
San Francisco and the rest of the Bay Area has plenty of Gay Asians. So does Los Angeles. You'd be fine here, since no one really cares about sexual orientation. People are too preoccupied on the cost of living to worry about that

Old 02-27-2010, 11:20 AM

3 posts, read 24,344 times
yeah. it is very expensive living there i guess.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:47 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,146,254 times
SF

/thread

Old 02-27-2010, 12:50 PM

4,270 posts, read 13,966,527 times
Castro in SF is gay and proud. At least that's what I've heard!

Old 02-27-2010, 01:06 PM

56,511 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
SF

/thread
Basically, as it is the perfect storm for this OP. In the Northeast, Ithaca NY might be a good fit.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:46 PM

2,271 posts, read 4,528,356 times
Quote:
LOL...sometimes I'm not sure New Englanders are attracted to anyone...
In my experience, most people are attracted to the European looking guys.

But yup, you want

SF

LA

Old 03-01-2010, 09:56 AM

985 posts, read 3,261,375 times
Quote:
That's also what I've heard/read numerous times.

I guess in the west coast people are much more used to Asians coming in all shapes and colors, and are thus less likely to fall into the American stereotypes against Asian men which most of the time are emasculating or desexualizing, thus making them least desirable especially within the gay community.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Btw, if you're considering relocating abroad, European countries in general are less prejudiced against Asian men. I guess because the emasculating stereotypes common in English-speaking countries are less prevalent here.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:17 AM

Default Asian gay men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
San Francisco and the rest of the Bay Area has plenty of Gay Asians. So does Los Angeles. You'd be fine here, since no one really cares about sexual orientation.
You are affected by the stereotypes against Asian men regardless of your sexual orientation.
In fact, gays are much more affected by the emasculating and desexualizing stereotypes against Asian men because gay men generally put much more weight upon external appearances including the size of your penis.

Here's an interview about the perception of gay men in San Fransisco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaydenJ View Post
I've also witnessed just how aesthetically based the gay community is which is FARRRR different from the lesbian community. A lot of it has to do with the ways guys are simply wired I guess. Normally, a woman would balance that trait but when it's a WHOLE COMMUNITY of men with no neutralizers, shallow would be the only word that fits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or