U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 10:41 AM

942 posts, read 1,066,298 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Massachusetts, 30 miles south of Boston, though I could never afford to retire in that region of the country, I am glad I am from there, and would not have wanted to be from anywhere else. I love the history of the place and the small towns, that retain their main streets and neighborhoods, with not so much if any of the cookie cutter on top of each other housing like I see in the western USA. I really miss knowing people for many years and the Population is more stable and not so transient in New England as I have seen in much of the USA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 04:07 PM

673 posts, read 3,752,199 times
Colorado Springs here.

I go back to Colorado Springs sometimes. I will be 25 in August so I havent been around that long and in my opinion Colorado Springs while it has grown alot hasnt changed that much.

I grew up in a neighborhood with primarily older married couples who were in their 60s and 70s when I was growing up and most of them have passed on or moved out and have been replaced by middle-aged married couples who moved to Colorado Springs from other states.

I think growing up in Colorado Springs I used to think Colorado Springs actually had run-down areas like other cities. I guess an empty house with an unmowed lawn in one or two neighborhoods actually gave me the naive impression that it was on the level of what other cities have to contend with as far as social problems and blight. When in fact Colorado Springs when ever I go back just seems clean, clean, clean and has very few issues compared to other places. Even the areas growing-up I thought of as run-down are very clean in retrospect.

I have a much more favorable impression of Colorado Springs now then I had when I was growing up. I remember for a time when I was growing-up I didnt like Colorado Springs at all, but as I progress more into adulthood I like my hometown more and more although I will always like Denver better!.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:12 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,392,355 times
Thumbs up The BEST

NYC!!! Need I say more?

Old 06-06-2007, 04:28 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,901,869 times
I grew up in Clayton, Missouri, just like 3 miles west of the St. Louis city limits, about 8 miles west of downtown along I-64. Could not have picked a better place to grow up. Clayton is one of St. Louis' richest suburbs as well as among the richest in the country, some of the most expensive houses in the STL metro are here, as well as some of the best education you'll find in the U.S. It's a great place to live especially because of the centrality of its location, both in the St. Louis metro area itself and also in the United States. I now live in St. Louis City, I will never fall out of love with St. Louis. Could not have asked for a better place to be raised. Am grateful to have grown up as a city-slicker instead of a country-boy

Old 06-06-2007, 06:31 PM

653 posts, read 3,132,534 times
I grew up in Milwaukee in the 50s and 60s. Didn't even have to lock the doors at night back than. Sadly, there are now parts of Milwaukee that are unsafe to drive in even during daylight hours. Still, there are nice areas in Milwaukee and a lot of decent people to be found!!

Old 06-07-2007, 12:07 AM

15,564 posts, read 36,549,039 times
I was born in Bellflower, CA but my parents moved to OC when I was a baby, so I have no experience with growing up in Bellflower. I've been there though (used to live in Cerritos, Lakewood and Long Beach in my early 20's). The last time I saw Bellflower it was not a place I would want to live in.

As far as where I grew up, that's different. I grew up in Newport Beach and have many fond memories of the place. I still enjoy going back for weekend visits because we stay at nice resorts there. But it is far too crowded for me to ever want to live there. It is pretty, but I like it just fine as a weekend getaway.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:45 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,281,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
I grew up in Milwaukee in the 50s and 60s. Didn't even have to lock the doors at night back than. Sadly, there are now parts of Milwaukee that are unsafe to drive in even during daylight hours. Still, there are nice areas in Milwaukee and a lot of decent people to be found!!
I didn't find the ghetto in Milwaukee when I visited last month. What did I miss?

Old 06-15-2007, 09:23 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,226,179 times
I'm originally from Beaumont, Texas (23 miles from Louisiana, in the southeast area). It's gotten a lot bigger since I was a kid. There are a lot more businesses, shopping centers, and restuarants than there was when I was a kid there. It's interesting now.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:54 AM

47 posts, read 36,533 times
Default from rural to exurb in NJ

My hometown has always been a thorn in my side. Probably the reason I've kept my visits to a minimum ever since I "busted out" for college. I think about 10 years have passed since the last time I was here.

Coming back, I notice that the things that made me feel small-- the big homes of friends, coming from the sticks, and being a minority have all seemed to melt away over time. The cornfields and woods have been largely replaced by insignificant McMansions and there are more people of color now. Where I remember Two Guys and then a series of failing discount stores used to be, is now thriving. In their place is a Wegmans, whose selection (probably a couple hundred kinds of cheese and breads, and very nicely priced Belgian monk beer, too) stunned me and made me feel like a hick once again, but this time as an outsider in my hometown.

Stepping into the new, rather luxurious public library with plenty of internet stations and a DVD/video area bigger than the Blockbusters where I live now, I recalled my old days working at our local library, constantly shifting books around in order to squeeze them into the dark, narrow room.

One thing that hasn't changed much is my house. But this too will be put on the market. The slope in the backyard, where I had fun sledding down and where I spent many a hot day pushing the lawnmower is still the same. Except that now most of the work here is hired, from a local business with Mexican workers. The sycamore, pine and maple trees now tower above, leaving the green grass below cool and dappled. And the thorny bush in the corner, which threatened to scratch and prick each time we passed by, turned out not to be a bush, but a growing tree. Its spiny branches are now safely outstretched overhead, once in awhile releasing a shower of white blossoms in the breeze.

I left with the sense that my hometown has grown up into a milder, richer place I can now appreciate. Still I keep asking myself, "Or was it me?"

Old 06-16-2007, 10:27 AM

653 posts, read 3,132,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
I didn't find the ghetto in Milwaukee when I visited last month. What did I miss?
Be GLAD that you did'nt find it--VERY GLAD!!! You missed nothing!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or