U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 11:30 AM

81 posts, read 296,885 times

Advertisements

Born in Chicago in 1962. Left in 1977 right at the pinnacle of its decline.

I can say that The City has made leaps and bounds since my time. I'm considering moving back in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 05:44 PM

475 posts, read 1,096,356 times
The town I was raised in is very depressed now after the steel industry bottomed out in the 1980's. It's a sad shadow of its former self.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:33 PM

86,999 posts, read 102,581,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgirl49 View Post
The town I was raised in is very depressed now after the steel industry bottomed out in the 1980's. It's a sad shadow of its former self.
Ditto. I was just there to my hometown last weekend; it looked like a ghost town with people. The once vibrant downtown is full of second-hand shops, bars, and one fast food restaurant.

Old 06-17-2007, 04:29 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,063,407 times
I grew up on a farm, but the town we lived near is dying fast. When I was growing up, it seemed to be booming. If we'd go to town on Saturday nights, the streets were full with all of us rugrats running around. We always went to the "big church" in town and they added on a wing for all of us boomers. It doubled the size of the church. Now it's barely used cause there are so few children there. The population of the town was 900 and that didn't include the farming community. (Keep in mind that was a time when farmers owned one or two quarters of land vs. today when they farm sections.) The town has no dwindled to below 500 people. I do remember that when I was a child, there were industries who wanted to come into the town. We had good soft water, clean fresh air, wide open space, the railroad goes through, etc. The city fathers wouldn't hear of it cause they wanted to keep their town "respectable". Well, they're gone now, but it's too bad they can't see how we were all forced to leave the town because there were NO jobs and absolutely nothing to do there anymore except sit around and wait to die. Guess I don't really live too far from there though. I live a half hour away in the "big town" from my childhood.

Just wanted to add~Filmfan, if you ever write a book, let me know. You have such descriptive writing that I felt like I was in your town.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:03 PM

475 posts, read 1,096,356 times
Pittnurse, I see you grew up in Beaver Falls and I grew up in Aliquippa. At least Beaver Falls still has more businesses and Geneva College. I haven't been in Beaver Falls in a long time though, but I was in Aliquippa last summer.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:21 PM

86,999 posts, read 102,581,357 times
I'll be darned! Where do you live now? We were in BF last week for my 40th high school reunion. Beaver Falls looks sad. It used to be, BF and Aliquippa were the two towns in Beaver County which had nice downtown shopping areas. Then came the malls, and then the recession, which they have never found their way out of. It's a shame.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:13 PM

3,258 posts, read 8,041,991 times
Watertown, SD.(about 30,000 I think). For it's size it has had it share of drugs, crime and illegal immigrants. Now, finally things are starting to progress as far at the town itself. It waits to be seen whether law enforcement, roads, etc will keep up with growth.

Maybe in another 15 years I would consider living there.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:21 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,282,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
Be GLAD that you did'nt find it--VERY GLAD!!! You missed nothing!!
I'll have to revisit for the true, "authentic" Milwaukee.

I revisited Cleveland (for the third time after leaving Ohio). Rust belt! Yuck!
It doesn't get any better.

SE Michigan is still home, yet my expectations for it just keep getting lower.
Ironically, my hometown (Detroit suburb) keeps getting nicer, but I don't go back there except to meet family and sleep. I always like being back in Ann Arbor, but I think Madison matches or outclasses it in a few areas.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:15 AM

1,134 posts, read 913,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
NYC!!! Need I say more?
Uhh.. yeah. You might need to say more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or