Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 10:29 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,924,903 times

Advertisements

^^That's really interesting, I never knew that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 10:32 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,527,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I was actually just reading this article. Skunks have been around in the Bronx forever, but apparently in the past 2-3 years they've crossed over a key bridge and found their way into Manhattan, which is described as an "eden" to skunks because of the lack of enemies. In the Bronx there were other animals such as coyotes that kept them in check.

It's described as "legions" of skunks that are now spreading down through Manhattan. Of course for the most part their key instinct is to stay away from humans.

Kinda like the skunks, raccoons and coyotes that are all over in the city of Chicago. 90% of people probably have no idea since they want to stay hidden.

Normally here I'm much more likely to see squirrels, and sometimes rabbits.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/27/nyregion/27about.html
there are coyotes in Chicago? wow.

edit: nevermind i just read this in wiki

Quote:
As a testament to the coyote's habitat adaptability, a coyote nicknamed "Hal" made his way to New York City's Central Park in March 2006, wandering about the park for at least two days before being captured by officials. New York's parks commissioner Adrian Benepe noted this coyote had to be very "adventurous" and "curious" to get so far into the city.[42] In February 2010, up to three coyotes were spotted on the Columbia University campus, and another coyote sighting occurred in Central Park [2]. An incident also occurred in April 2007 in the Chicago Loop district, where a coyote, later nicknamed "Adrian", quietly entered a Quizno's restaurant during the lunch hours; it was later captured and released at a wildlife rehab center near Barrington, Illinois[43][44]

Old 03-01-2010, 10:39 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,406,945 times
I never would have thought that wild animals like skunks and coyotes exist in New York City or Chicago. How can they survive in such a dense, urban environment?

Old 03-01-2010, 11:43 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,180,873 times
^ I'm amazed by that myself.

In the city here there are families of Great Horned Owls, Bald Eagles, Coyotes, Beavers, Otters, Opossums, Raccoons, Monk Parrots, Rabbits, Skunks, White Tailed Deer, Falcons, Squirrles, Chipmunks, Geese, Ducks, Herons, etc.

They're just obviously good at staying away from humans and busy streets - or else they'd all be dead.

Illinois had a coyote eradication program about 30 years ago that drove them out of the state. As with almost all programs to get rid of native species though, there were problems. Deer populations exploded and started taking over rural and urban areas. The coyotes were allowed to come back, since they did FAR less harm than deer did.

In 2000 the nations largest program was started to count coyotes in urban areas, and they chose Chicago since a few had been spotted.

They were expecting to find a few dozen in the city, and maybe some packs of them in neighborhoods. They were amazed to find though that thousands of coyotes were living right in the heart of Chicago and almost no one had any idea. Even in the loop and downtown area, north side - hundreds and hundreds of coyotes were living right along side people. They're usually just extremely shy, and only come out at night when it's quiet. During they day they stay in their hiding places.

The number has grown a lot in recent years, and it's shown with the population of Canadian Geese in Chicago now growing at 1-2% a year as opposed to the 20% to 30% from 10 years ago. The Canadian Geese were really starting to get people nervous, as they're large animals, and their populations were exploding into the tens of thousands.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:57 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,192,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
I never would have thought that wild animals like skunks and coyotes exist in New York City or Chicago. How can they survive in such a dense, urban environment?
Didn't you watch I am Legend??? Deers and lions live in NYC too lol

I've seen a few skunks in Houston. I know you have lots of coyotes and all types of crap in the suburbs. I've noticed lots of rats and rabbits though lately. Mostly in the inner loop.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:42 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,190,434 times
I rarely see skunks, but then again I never go to the forest preserves. Most likely you'll see raccoons, normal size rats/mice, deers, rabbits and squirrells(sp. check?) around here. I seen an opossum(some big azz white/grey-ish rat) a few times crossing the street near my block.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:14 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,584,397 times
I have not known of any here in the city of Columbus Ohio but I have seen one in a condo neighborhood on the eastern fringe of the suburb, Reynoldsburg.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:33 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,671,922 times
Minneapolis has the largest deer population of any major US city.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:35 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,381,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I was actually just reading this article. Skunks have been around in the Bronx forever, but apparently in the past 2-3 years they've crossed over a key bridge and found their way into Manhattan, which is described as an "eden" to skunks because of the lack of enemies. In the Bronx there were other animals such as coyotes that kept them in check.
According to the tv programs, coyotes keep their distance from skunks [just like every animal]. Skunks essentially have no fear of anything & why they often get run over my cars.

Marysville California was identified as a town under total siege of skunks but my getting rid of the wild cat population the skunk problem has eased a bit also. People leaving pet food out at night attracts skunks.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:16 PM

840 posts, read 2,085,282 times
THere are a few skunks here in the south. I never seen one in the south but have seen them in the west near Colorado Springs when we went on a nature heights in Garden of the Gods
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.