U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 01:21 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,502,816 times

Advertisements

All of this talk about Atlanta consistently being ranked as the "Best Mecca for blacks" make me think of how DC (or at least the area) is supposedly the "second best place" for blacks. But from my lackluster observations, it seems that if DC is the "second best place to live" then what's Atlanta really like.

Granted this isn't a jab at Atlanta, and personally, I would prefer a racially integrated area where no one gave a damn about skin pigmentation, regardless of the racial makeup. But seeing how Washington DC blacks are perceived, the dire predicament most of them are in (whether through historical barriers or their own dumb decisions), and the way they treat each other, it really seems that there needs to be an evaluation of DC's standing.

Whether you're a person who embraces the black culture or is content with being Americanized, we can all probably agree with one thing. If you mention a place as a "mecca," it should be a true haven where one would face a minimum amount of issues, have a notable amount of camaraderie, and have fate in their own hands. Instead, what I see in DC (and even the area) includes:

-Many blacks being pushed or fleeing out of their neighborhoods (I'm talking about homeowners, not section-8 dwellers).
-Many non-blacks having very noticeable non-verbal racial tension towards all blacks (not just ghetto ones), despite taking over the city.
-Heavy amounts of segregation between the neighborhoods, unless they're gentrifying (and those tend to have the most racial strife).
-A lot of intra-racial conflict between the blacks "who have" and the black who "have not."
-A large (and unsympathetic) black underclass thanks to the perpetuation of stereotypes by a sizable amount.
-Large barriers of social entry for blacks, (esp for black males) who are more Americanized, into non-black groups.
-Tolerance (and in some cases, encouragement of) the ghetto culture as a part of the overall black culture by most black citizens.

I just wanted to know why would the "Second best of anything" tolerate with so much issues that would contradict the following statement. Not to say there aren't great places for blacks to live in the DC area. However, they're either in almost all black middle & upper class towns outside the beltway east of DC, which is fine if you feel the need to self-segregate yourselves. Or they're in places that are racially integrated but are also in the suburbs Northeast, North, West, and Southwest of DC, which in that case, there are plenty of places in this country of communities (specifically those created after the Civil Rights Movement) that are racially diverse and integrated. Besides the fact most of the more welcoming areas are in the suburbs, the fact is that if you're claiming to live in a mecca, you expect the place to fully and unquestionably attain to your needs and desires, whether it's embracing the positive aspects of the black culture, having nothing shameful to blacks present and visible, or having those who are non-black treat you as an equal (at that least). And in immediate DC, I just don't see those things present, especially the later.

Or is Atlanta that radically different from DC in the "black camaraderie" department?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 01:25 PM

56,617 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Is this serious?

Old 03-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,216,324 times
Some posts above were deleted.

The OP says "this isn't a jab at Atlanta." If you perceive it as a jab at Atlanta or have other issues with the topic, explain why. No need to make your reply personal.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:16 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,505,228 times
Perhaps when people refer to black "meccas," they are referring to areas where lots of successful blacks are moving and not necessarily to areas where non-blacks are eager to socialize with blacks. You've made it clear that you want to socialize with and be fully accepted by non-blacks, and that you don't see a lot of integration in the DC area. Like I have said before, perhaps you should move to a place that does not have a history of racism and segregation where blacks are a small percentage of the population. Seattle comes to mind.

I am not black and my black friends have always lived in either integrated or non-black areas, so I lack the personal experience you and others may have with the discrimination and hostility you have faced from blacks and non-blacks alike. What I can say, however, is that Atlanta - and to a much lesser extent Washington, DC - are places where it seems black people move to be in an area with many other blacks... not necessarily to self-segregate themselves completely, but to be around people with whom they identify. Unfortunately, when people express preference to be around people with whom they identify, it is often met with hostility from others. It doesn't matter if it's a Latin person looking for a Latin community in the Iowa, a Chinese person looking for an Asian community in Alabama, or an African-American wondering where other blacks are in Maine... many people outside of the groups those people seek out get upset and offended, and you'll see that time and time again on these forums.

It seems to me that you would be most comfortable around people of any race who aren't looking for what they consider to be "their own"; people who like to live somewhere due to their common interests. Atlanta - and to a much lesser extent DC - are places the media portray as "meccas" for African-Americans. Ironically enough, you'd probably be happiest in a place that is not held out to be a mecca for blacks.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:08 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,502,816 times
I realize that I probably would be much happier in an area that was just more racially integrated, so this thread isn't to gloat about my personal preferences. This was made as a question of why would a place that is talked with such esteem have so many contradictions to its reputation, much less why should it be tolerated.

I never said DC wasn't a good place for blacks, but when its consistently placed as the "second best place to live for blacks," one would expect a degree of exceptionally high standards. And I realize that many who are seeking a black mecca aren't really concerned about how non-blacks receive them. Nevertheless, I pointed out plenty of "black-centric" issues like the lack of intra-racial camaraderie that challenges DC's claim as the #2 place for blacks. I just wanted to see some explanations behind the argument with such social issues looming to this day.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:43 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,436,335 times
Default boredatwork

Prince George's County ....you can have poverty, working class, middle class, upper middle class, and RICH all in one community....Between D.C, ATL, and PG county you're good to go not Fairfax, VA

Old 03-02-2010, 05:04 PM

3,093 posts, read 4,136,204 times
You really seem like you would enjoy Houston from what I gather from your posts. If you want an area with a lot of blacks but that is still integrated.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:29 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,505,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
I never said DC wasn't a good place for blacks, but when its consistently placed as the "second best place to live for blacks," one would expect a degree of exceptionally high standards. And I realize that many who are seeking a black mecca aren't really concerned about how non-blacks receive them. Nevertheless, I pointed out plenty of "black-centric" issues like the lack of intra-racial camaraderie that challenges DC's claim as the #2 place for blacks. I just wanted to see some explanations behind the argument with such social issues looming to this day.
I suspect that the "best places for blacks" lists are generally made up of places where there are fairly high percentages of blacks and a good amount of those blacks are middle-class or above. I doubt that they consider the intra-racial camaraderie issues that you've brought up here.

With that said, there is little intra-racial camaraderie among whites and Asians. People still divide over ethnicity, nationality, economic level, education level, and politics. People still mercilessly lampoon "rednecks," "hillbillies," and "trailer trash" without the PC police blowing their whistles (Do the black PC police blow their whistles when educated blacks do the same to the stereotypical image of a "thug" who speaks Ebonics? Doesn't seem that they do). People with graduate degrees still segregate themselves from high school dropouts. The cultured want nothing to do with the ignorant. There are so many reasons why people of the same race or even of the same ethnicity would differentiate themselves from others within the group.

Would you expect blacks to be any different in that respect? It's not 1965 anymore; I suspect most blacks feel that they need not "stick together" to be successful anymore. I sincerely doubt that we will see all people of a single race - let alone all people in general - hold hands and sing kumbaya anytime during our lifetime. Intra-racial relations have certainly improved, inter-racial relations have certain improved, yes... but we still have a long way to go, and that's not even tackling how people feel about the other divisions I listed above!

Old 03-02-2010, 10:19 PM

2 posts, read 4,259 times
DC is not a mecca for blacks. I lived there for 25 years and ran into more racism than I care to shake a stick at. Blacks in high positions are afraid to reach down and help you because it may hurt there position. We are still in a very sad situation. If I leader stop selling us out,we may get somewhere.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:30 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,329,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Whether you're a person who embraces the black culture or is content with being Americanized...
*sigh* I give up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or