U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 06:39 AM

8 posts, read 12,676 times

Advertisements

Here is a short background so you know what I'm looking for....

I'm 25 and single and my income is 20-25K a year(trust fund). I have lived near Rochester, NY my whole up bringing. Past year I have lived in Las Vegas Nevada and have hated it with a passion. I'm looking for a city that can easily be assessable with walking/riding a bike(good transit system), decent weather(nothing like 120 in the summer or - 10 in the winter). Also average to below average crime rate, small to mid sized city, and a laid back nature.

any help would be great

Last edited by dre1614; 03-08-2010 at 06:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 10:15 AM

324 posts, read 583,979 times
The best cities for walking/biking and living car free are Washington DC, Philadelphia, New York City, Boston, Chicago and San Francisco.

There are other cities where it is possible to live without a car, but it won't be 100% convenient.

I named the top six cities livable without a car, five out of the six named have cold winters. So, San Francisco would be your best choice.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:22 AM

6,628 posts, read 12,521,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCity View Post
The best cities for walking/biking and living car free are Washington DC, Philadelphia, New York City, Boston, Chicago and San Francisco.

There are other cities where it is possible to live without a car, but it won't be 100% convenient.

I named the top six cities livable without a car, five out of the six named have cold winters. So, San Francisco would be your best choice.
I tend to agree with San Francisco. It's not "small to mid-sized", but it does have every other trait the OP is looking for. I don't think you're going to find many small to mid-sized cities with good public transportation outside of Portland, OR.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:24 AM

Thanks for the responses. I have thought about San Fran but the cost of living really scares me. I was fortunate enough to have a income through my parents, but I don't think I make enough to live there comfortably.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:25 AM

5,728 posts, read 9,099,645 times
It sounds like you are on a fixed income. You won't be able to live very well on that kind of income in any of the cities listed. They are all quite expensive with the exception of Philly which is still expensive.

You might try Pittsburgh. Cost of living is pretty reasonable, they don't get the volume of snow or cold in an average WNY winter (this year is an exception though) and the mass transit is not too bad for a metro area of 2.3 million.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
It sounds like you are on a fixed income. You won't be able to live very well on that kind of income in any of the cities listed. They are all quite expensive with the exception of Philly which is still expensive.

You might try Pittsburgh. Cost of living is pretty reasonable, they don't get the volume of snow or cold in an average WNY winter (this year is an exception though) and the mass transit is not too bad for a metro area of 2.3 million.
Thanks for the response. I'll look into Pittsburgh more, I have never been there except a drive by once when I was like 12 but I do remember it looked like a neat place. I remember taking a pic of 3 rivers stadium it was really cool(at least back then).

TheCity also recommended Portland Oregon, which I have done some research on. It has a lot of the qualities that I like, except the weather but you have to make at least some sacrifices.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:59 AM

5,728 posts, read 9,099,645 times
^^^Portland is also trending on the expensive side but it would probably be the cheapest place to live out of all the cities TheCity listed. Aside from that you can truly enjoy the out of doors activities there.

I've looked into the Pittsburgh area myself. It has a lot going for it these days and the cost of housing if you purchase, is absurdly affordable. Plenty of places to go hiking and biking in the metro area makes it a place to stay in shape. Your 20 to 25 grand will go pretty far there even if you have to rent. You can get a decent 1 BR apartment for $600 or so in many areas of the metro area. As long as you don't have a lot of credit card debt you should be fine on that kind of income.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:37 AM

56,754 posts, read 81,082,761 times
Look for college towns too. Maybe a city like Chapel Hill NC would work. It's in a growing area and generally, college towns tend to be very "walkable". Here's an example of Chapel hill's walkability: Walk Score - Helping homebuyers, renters, and real estate agents find houses and apartments in great neighborhoods.

Maybe cities like Knoxville TN, Columbia MO, Blacksburg VA and Kent OH, among many others, would work. That website posted for walkability is pretty good and showing how good a community is in that regard.

If you every wanted to come back to Upstate NY, by the way, Ithaca would be perfect.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:09 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,755,949 times
If you are interested in a smaller city that still has alot to offer you may want to look at Jersey City or Hoboken NJ. If you are interested in a bigger city then Philadelphia would be a good choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.