U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 10:56 PM

631 posts, read 1,394,563 times

Advertisements

Inspired by this thread on SkyScraperCity: The traffic light thread - SkyscraperCity I figured I'd try to start one here.

So yeah, traffic lights are like zits; every city has thousands! And they are mostly unique to that particular state or in some cases even the city itself (Omaha comes to mind, and so does Tulsa-area about 5 years ago) depending on what regulations are in place. So yeah, let's talk about the traffic lights you guys have around your places, maybe even some odd ones that you've seen in other cities/countries?

I'll start with Colorado, particularly Longmont.

Longmont has a very bland light system. Except at major intersections (with two major exceptions) all the lights follow the same pattern: solid red, solid yellow, and solid green. At major intersections there is an added set of yellow and green arrow lights over the left-most lane with the light that is already there. Downtown Longmont by ~eon-krate32 on deviantART This is in downtown Longmont. There are a few exceptions which I will mention later.

Other cities in Colorado follow similar formats from what I've seen. Boulder is a massive exception in many ways, and to an extent so is Denver. To the best of my knowledge only Denver and Boulder use 'protected' turn signals of all colors, meaning no left/right turn on red at such a place.

Now on my many travels I've seen many different formats and styles of lights. I remember a trip to downtown OKC once and saw many such lights as these: http://www.monumentalcity.net/signal...3mdoghouse.jpg called 3M PV signals. I'm not sure if they still have em down there though. I know that many suburbs in north and west Denver use a circular version of the 3M light in addition to the square one pictured above. Remember those exceptions I mentioned? Well that's one of em. Only instead of having all five being that way, the red signal is a normal 12" style light, while all the others are 3M. Only two exist that I know of, and both sit at Collyer and 9th in Longmont. This odd intersection also has another oddity. Much like the light at the bottom of this page: Google Image Result for http://www.btco.net/ghosts/signals/novel/sig_uturnnottghm.jpg (yikes that's a long URL) there are 4 turn only signals that feature a double red signal. The other exception is at Ken Pratt and Hover, where there is a single mast arm housing lights of all kinds over the busy intersection, including 3M and 'focused' lights that only drivers in certain lanes can see the signal showing, a function that serves much like the 3M.

New paragraph time cus that link was ridiculous. More exceptions. Many such lights used to reside in the Tulsa area before the cities began taking them down. If anyone living in the Tulsa-Broken Arrow areas could upload photos for more clarification that'd be greatly appreciated (you guys at least should know what I'm talking about). For example my favorite one was the 4-signal that was pretty much a normal signal except for the yellow light, which was a 3M signal. I actually have some film photos of some of these specimen, including some of the Longmont oddities, sometime I'll have to scan em in and post links. I've also noticed how the horizontal arrangement of a 5 signal light in Nebraska and Texas (and maybe New Mexico, haven't seen one there) are strange. It goes from left like this: full red, arrow yellow, arrow green, full yellow, full green. If anyone has a decent photo an upload would be nice! Thornton, Colorado also has an odd take on the mast arm, where instead of just a pole the whole signal is embedded into a box like extension. These are mainly seen along major roads and highways as far as my experience goes.

I also notice the odd setup of Light Rail signals like this one in Dallas: Dart Rail traffic signal by ~eon-krate32 on deviantART. Denver also has signals like it but also have a single white dot acting as a yellow signal between the vertical and horizontal white lines. I'm also certain that NOLA uses this system as well.

One last thing is that I, for some reason, prefer the elongated format as opposed to the 'doghouse' style seen in a lot of places out West. With the exception of bridge lights in Chicago the biggest such example is only 5 lights, which is pretty common in some areas. If there is a light that is not side-by-side (like the record-breaking 14-ers in Australia), but stacked that has more than 6 signals, PLEASE post a photo/link of it! I hear there used to be one that was 7 in the early 20th century in San Fransisco.

I think that'll do it from me. Please post photos of your local lights, or even of some funny or odd ones you've seen. I've Googled this subject on Images search and I've seen quite a few funny ones.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:18 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,231,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eon-krate32 View Post
Inspired by this thread on SkyScraperCity: The traffic light thread - SkyscraperCity I figured I'd try to start one here.
This doesn't fit in with General U.S. here, sorry. And you've already provided a link to an existing thread (elsewhere) about it, so it's available for those who wish to discuss it. Please see the room sticky. Thank you.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.