Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 11:57 AM

4,901 posts, read 3,357,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanburen81 View Post
I don't think the interracial concern is a big one. Seriously any medium-sized city or bigger it will be no big deal including, OMG, the deep south! I'm white male with Asian wife and no problems living in New Orleans or visitng family in Jackson, Mississippi. I was born in Boston though, so I know stereotpyes about the South run deep. If conservatives bother you, as you slightly hinted at in one of your posts, then you might well want to avoid the deep South.
In some cases (especially for the men) Asians often fare better here than in other parts of the country like California or parts of the Northeast...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 03:52 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,592,185 times
Austin, TX. Warm year around, very affordable and has a highly educated populace.
Portland, OR seems to be a nice fit too, although it's not quite as warm and a little more expensive.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:11 PM

128 posts, read 298,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
Remember folks, the OP was asking specifically about Asian MALE/White FEMALE couples being accepted in various parts of country. I would be shocked if AF/WM couples experienced any discrimination in any part of the country...
Yes, it might be slightly different with an asian male/ white female than vice versa, but my guess is not much. You make a very good point though that it matters what the racial makeup actually is. If the OP was in an asian male/ black woman or black man/ white woman relationship he might be facing a lot more problems. Some people seem to have this strange idea that people either accept all interracial relationships or else they don't accept any, and that parts of the country gnerally known for being tolerant will be very accepting of all types of interracial relationships and parts of the country not known for tolerance will not be, but the reality is more messy.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:21 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,982,848 times
Charlottle, NC
Pittsburgh, PA
Portland, OR

Old 04-20-2010, 10:15 PM

92 posts, read 351,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittenkitten View Post
Hi guys, thank you so much for taking the time to give me some suggestions. I'm absolutely interested in CA but it's true, the expensive housing worries me. We can't afford more than $300k max I'd say. I have no idea if that even buys you a small condo anywhere in CA. We would want a 2 bed 2 bath house at least.

I've only been to CA as a child and don't remember much. But I would like to learn more and hope there might be someplace we could live there. It seems like the highest census stats on interracial couples and Asian populations all point to the West Coast, and to CA especially.
Sup bro. I'm also an Asian guy, and I am from the Seattle area. I'm glad you've made this thread since I see other threads for african-american women, etc for dating scenes.

I highly recommend you move to the Seattle area.

It's a very nice city (don't listen to the "it always rains in Seattle" stereotype) and to me, an Asian-friendly city. Of course, I grew up there, so I may sound biased.

I have encountered a lot of Asian male/white or non-Asian female couples there. I also have two friends who are married to a Peruvian and a French woman, respectively.

Unlike here in Indiana and the midwest where it's taboo for inter-racial relationship (at least from an Asian male perspective).

I also recomend you check out Honolulu, Hawaii (nice weather and large Asian community),. Portland, Oregon (another tolerant lefty/liberal city) and even the Bay Area (large Chinese population there).

I'm not a big fan of living in L.A. SoCal life has been stressful for me in the past. I found L.A. to be an unfriendly city towards Asian male dating, probably because of the hollywood image and brainwashing going on there.

But good luck with your decisions.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:49 AM

192 posts, read 504,683 times
Houston is a diverse place, and it's pretty normal to be mixed in one way or another.

As an example - I am half Hispanic, half Asian. I have several in my family who are half Asian, half Iranian. I would say 1/2 of my Asian/Indian friends have dated White people (really only depends on how conservative their parents are).

You'll also find a good portion of White people with some sort of Hispanic or Mexican ancestry. So we're a pretty mixed bunch.

edit. p.s. California/West Coast is another obvious example, but I haven't lived there enough to really comment on any personal experiences.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:17 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittenkitten View Post
That's awesome. Are Dallas and Houston kinda liberal? I know Austin is supposed to be a liberal outpost in a conservative-leaning state, but are Houston and Dallas kinda liberal too since they're big cities? Or are they very Republican? I know the big airport in Houston is named after George Bush so I'm not sure!
Houston just elected the first openly Lesbian mayor in US history. There has not been a Republican mayor in a long, long time.

Its not a socially conservative city at all. Houston is however pro big business, but the cool thing about Houston is even the little guy can make it big pretty quick unlike most cities you spend your whole life working trying to break that glass ceiling & you never can.

Houston is a city FULL of immigrant from all over. Its easily the most diverse metropolitan area in the South. The draw backs however are no zoning meaning lax land use restrictions. You can basically set up any kind of business any where in the city. You'll see gas stations next to mansions, XXX video stores next to churches, Asian "massage parlors" next to day cares, etc. The good thing is you won't see an oil refinery for the most part they are all concentrated on the least populated side of town.

Give Houston a chance & don't let it's airports name fool you & be sure to look inside the 610 Loop for places to live.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 04-24-2010 at 12:32 AM..

Old 04-24-2010, 09:31 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,991,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRickShawMan View Post
Unlike here in Indiana and the midwest where it's taboo for inter-racial relationship (at least from an Asian male perspective).
When you mean Midwest, did you count Minnesota too? Cuz from what I've read about it and seen in my 2006 visit to Minnesota is NOT the place where interracial relationships for Asian Males is taboo. In fact they are AHEAD of the times (I was doing a random search on Google Groups sifting through old message board posts dating back as far as 1995 and a woman in an AM/WF relationship gave the area GREAT reviews for those kinds of couples!) when it comes to those relationships. And I didn't notice anyone giving those kinds of couplings unusual stares. I also did notice that a number of girls there actually check them out in the malls.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:41 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
When you mean Midwest, did you count Minnesota too? Cuz from what I've read about it and seen in my 2006 visit to Minnesota is NOT the place where interracial relationships for Asian Males is taboo. In fact they are AHEAD of the times (I was doing a random search on Google Groups sifting through old message board posts dating back as far as 1995 and a woman in an AM/WF relationship gave the area GREAT reviews for those kinds of couples!) when it comes to those relationships. And I didn't notice anyone giving those kinds of couplings unusual stares. I also did notice that a number of girls there actually check them out in the malls.

You betcha. I live in Minnesota, and this place is way ahead of the times when it comes to interracial relationships. I'm a minority, and I can safely say that my race is less of an issue here than it was anywhere else I've lived. When you say "Midwest," a lot of people think of those Lower Midwestern states like Ohio, Indiana, and Kansas. Indiana in particular is probably the least progressive, most backwards state in the Midwest, by far, with Missouri maybe a close second. The Upper Midwest is totally different.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:14 AM

184 posts, read 438,060 times
My sister is caucasian and her husband is Japanese. They live in North Carolina and are never ever prejudice against. They love it. In fact, he's a native Californian and would rather live in NC. I really don't see anyone prejudice this way anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.