Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 02:03 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,302,287 times

Advertisements

You asked for warmer, but I honestly wouldn't recommend Florida. There isn't a noticeable Asian population established here yet. I dated an Asian guy for many years here in Tampa. We definitely got a lot of weird stares, but those were probably more because of us being a gay couple rather than an interracial one. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 06:19 PM

604 posts, read 1,512,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittenkitten View Post
Hi Everyone,

We are an Asian male/White female couple. We are hoping to move from Boston to a city with more affordable housing (warmer would be nice, too!). One of my top concerns is finding a city where we (and our future mixed-race children) will be accepted/welcomed.

My ideal location would have/be:
friendly people
tolerant/accepting toward interracial couples
housing that is affordable for first-time home buyers
warmer than Boston
reasonable cost of living (cheaper than Boston would be nice!)
we prefer a city over a smaller town

Affordable housing and tolerance are the most important characteristics. Do you have any suggestions for us (or personal experiences to share)? So far we have visited Austin, TX.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your advice! It's hard doing much of this search remotely. Thanks for helping us find a new home
I'd go with Seattle for the best place in the U.S.. But I think pretty much anywhere is pretty accepting Asian female/white male couples.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:54 PM

11,054 posts, read 16,758,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
I'd go with Seattle for the best place in the U.S.. But I think pretty much anywhere is pretty accepting Asian female/white male couples.
Seattle? Best place in the US?

... okay.

Regardless, any city on the Western seaboard is going to be about the same in terms of acceptance.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:39 PM

604 posts, read 1,512,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Seattle? Best place in the US?

... okay.

Regardless, any city on the Western seaboard is going to be about the same in terms of acceptance.

I wasn't really talking about in terms of acceptance. I was speaking in terms of a place the OP might want to live. But ya I agree with you pretty much anywhere out west is a good place to live for an interracial couple.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:45 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,846,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittenkitten View Post
Hi guys, thank you so much for taking the time to give me some suggestions. I'm absolutely interested in CA but it's true, the expensive housing worries me. We can't afford more than $300k max I'd say. I have no idea if that even buys you a small condo anywhere in CA. We would want a 2 bed 2 bath house at least.

I've only been to CA as a child and don't remember much. But I would like to learn more and hope there might be someplace we could live there. It seems like the highest census stats on interracial couples and Asian populations all point to the West Coast, and to CA especially.
Sacramento. It's a larger city, 2.3 million population. UNLIKE Portland, it is very diverse with a LARGE Asian population. Also, it is considered the most racially integrated city in the country, very liberal at the urban core. A lot of interracial couples here.

The best thing is that housing costs are EXTREMELY cheap compared to rest of CA. Under $300K, you can get a nice 3-5 bed 2000+ house in an excellent area.

It's also only 1.5 hours from San Francisco.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:30 PM

4,880 posts, read 3,328,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
Remember folks, the OP was asking specifically about Asian MALE/White FEMALE couples being accepted in various parts of country. I would be shocked if AF/WM couples experienced any discrimination in any part of the country...
Like I've repeated before...

This was a thread to address Asian MALE/White FEMALEcouplings being accepted in various parts of the country. For other combos, please create a SEPARATE thread.

And to be quite honest, I seriously doubt there is ANYWHERE in the US where AF/WM couples face pervasive or institutionalized discrimination to any major degree (although I would certainly be proven wrong...).

Old 03-25-2012, 04:06 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,253,686 times
Take your pick! Wherever you want. I've never seen Eurasian kids be hassled in schools or neighborhoods I've gone to. Obviously, I would say Los Angeles and San Francisco, but you'll still be in expensive areas. Any of the LARGER Southeastern metropolitan areas, including those in FL, might be a good choice, except maybe Jacksonville which still feels pretty backwater.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:27 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,688,878 times
Atlanta.........

Old 03-25-2012, 09:41 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,788,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Take your pick! Wherever you want. I've never seen Eurasian kids be hassled in schools or neighborhoods I've gone to. Obviously, I would say Los Angeles and San Francisco, but you'll still be in expensive areas. Any of the LARGER Southeastern metropolitan areas, including those in FL, might be a good choice, except maybe Jacksonville which still feels pretty backwater.
They're probably jealous, lol. From my experience Eurasians are generally considered attractive, both men and women. It's a pity Brandon Lee died so young, as there aren't many famous 'mixed' Asian/European actors in Hollywood.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:36 PM

822 posts, read 2,192,464 times
Anywhere in the South Western US would be a good fit for you. The Las Vegas area or San Antonio would both be good. Both of those areas are affordable w/ housing and they are both warm year round. Also since both places are in the west the people aren't as hung up on race as they are in the east. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.