Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How important is diversity?
Very important 27 27.84%
Somewhat important 23 23.71%
Not Important 32 32.99%
Don't care either way 15 15.46%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 06:45 PM

93,290 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Come on, David.

The posts you quoted were fair-minded and did not have malicious intent.

You seriously can't understand why a middle/upper middle class white family wouldn't want to move to a poor black area? Either this is political correctness to the extreme or you're choosing not to see.
That's a bit extreme and I don't think he meant it that way.

Also, I would like to say that it is important, even if people say it is or isn't. Meaning, some will run away from it or will embrace it and look at it in it's complex and bigger picture. So, it really does matter for everyone to some degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 07:40 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Come on, David.

I seriously meant to sign that post in this way:

-David, the political correctness police

Anywho, I stand by what I said in that post.

Quote:
You seriously can't understand why a middle/upper middle class white family wouldn't want to move to a poor black area? Either this is political correctness to the extreme or you're choosing not to see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar
Why does black to white = gentrification?
I said nothing about poor or not poor. Why wouldn't a middle class white family want to move to a middle class black neighborhood or an affluent black neighborhood? That is the question.

Nonetheless, I was asking southernnaturelover why black to white = gentrification. Why can't black neighborhoods be considered nice before the whites move in?

Thank you ckhthankgod.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:36 PM

1,208 posts, read 1,831,753 times
Quote:
Why wouldn't a middle class white family want to move to a middle class black neighborhood or an affluent black neighborhood? That is the question.
I'm not black...so why would I want to place myself in a position of feeling like a polka dot? Hint, I wouldn't.

The truth is that I'm probably gonna have more in common with someone who is my own race and close to my income bracket. I wouldn't want to be surrounded by a lot of people in poverty because I wouldn't want them to envy me in any way. I much prefer people to feel comfortable around me, and I prefer to feel comfortable around others as well. If I fit better in one niche over the other, why should I make a special effort to change that dynamic? I see no reason too.

Let's face it...you're going way overboard with the PC thing.

Quote:
Come on, David.

Thank you!

Old 03-15-2010, 10:37 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,380,764 times
I prefer places with all kinds of hot.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:15 PM

44 posts, read 50,005 times
Not important at all. Overrated you ask me. Whole foods publix are my favorite restaurants I bring the food home and cook it myself.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:43 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,524,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I'm glad I didn't grow up in a lilly white town.
Yeah, because that would be so wrong...

White people - bad
Ethnic people - good

Old 03-16-2010, 12:53 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksharp View Post
I'm not black...so why would I want to place myself in a position of feeling like a polka dot? Hint, I wouldn't.
Again with the polka dot thing. In that case, I should feel like a polka dot most everywhere I go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksharp View Post
The truth is that I'm probably gonna have more in common with someone who is my own race and close to my income bracket. I wouldn't want to be surrounded by a lot of people in poverty because I wouldn't want them to envy me in any way. I much prefer people to feel comfortable around me, and I prefer to feel comfortable around others as well. If I fit better in one niche over the other, why should I make a special effort to change that dynamic? I see no reason too.
"probably gonna have more in common". Why is that? Do most white people lead similar lives? Have you never related with a non-white before? Does living near whites give you more of an opportunity to make white friends? Would you shun or try and avoid a non-white people (of a similar income to yours) that took an interest in you?

I don't want to live near poverty either. OTOH, I don't have any idea as to what kind of money my neighbors make (I imagine many of them make less than I do).

If we met, should I not feel comfortable around you? Should you not feel comfortable around me? Is this making you uncomfortable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
Yeah, because that would be so wrong...

White people - bad
Ethnic people - good
This can go both ways.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't value having grown up in an non-diverse neighborhood in a diverse metro area. Exposure to different kinds of people is a good thing, but IMO focused pursuit of diversity or lack thereof (especially) is like pursuing an empty treasure chest, like trying to pick a tree that bears no fruit.

Everybody is different from everybody else. Everybody has a different story to tell and a different life led, regardless of race, income level, education, etc. Some of us choose to put themselves in boxes, with the narrow view that our own "races" are more suitable for us to be around, without clear justification. Others think they are more worldly and enlightened because they position themselves to be around a diverse set of people. Both are lame IMO.

I don't care what race you are, where you went to school, or how much money you make. If we click, we click. If we don't, we don't. Que sera, sera.

Last edited by Count David; 03-16-2010 at 01:04 AM..

Old 03-16-2010, 01:03 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,831,753 times
Quote:
In that case, I should feel like a polka dot most everywhere I go.
You should feel, how you feel...period!

Quote:
Have you never related with a non-white before?
Did you miss the part in my first post that my husband's family is very diverse? He and I have been married for almost 33 years and through marriage I have a black brother in law, a hispanic brother in law and a Philippine sister in law. We all get along great! But...as they sought out mixed neighborhoods to live in, my husband and I sought out predominately white neighborhoods to live in.

Quote:
If we met, should I not feel comfortable around you?
I guess that would be up to you if you felt comfortable or not. But frankly, I don't think we have to be concerned about meeting.

Quote:
Should you not feel comfortable around me?
Depends on if you're a psycho or not!

Quote:
Is this making you uncomfortable?
No...not in the least.

Nice try though.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:16 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I seriously meant to sign that post in this way:

-David, the political correctness police

Anywho, I stand by what I said in that post.

I said nothing about poor or not poor. Why wouldn't a middle class white family want to move to a middle class black neighborhood or an affluent black neighborhood? That is the question.

Nonetheless, I was asking southernnaturelover why black to white = gentrification. Why can't black neighborhoods be considered nice before the whites move in?

Thank you ckhthankgod.
Because the white family in question most likely does not want to feel like a minority in the general area of their residence. This preference would be a bit more difficult to accomodate if said white family was moving to an Asian or African nation, but the U.S. is a majority white country and many whites, however inappropriate or politically incorrect you may think it is, do not want to play the role of the minority in a country in which they are the majority. That's the bottom line.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:50 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Ethnic diversity is like a spice. It's nice to have, and it makes things less bland, but it's not essential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.