U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2010, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,372 times

Advertisements

I have always been interested in USA. Mainly the states of Colorado, California, Utah, Arizona, Nevada & Idaho.

I have been to a few of these states a couple of times on holiday and fell in love with the country of America even more. I love the life over there - I love the people, they are so laid back and friendly and I would love to be a part of that. The scenery is brilliant, the weather is better and the food is better.

I would love to move from the UK to USA and have wanted to ever since I was a little kid. I just love the country and the people so very very much! Although I have lived in the UK all my life, I have never truly felt at home here, what with all the rules and silly laws and PC'ness and often miserable people and I guess thats because of everything here seeming a rip off. The 6 weeks of my life I have spent in USA, I have felt more at home in and felt like I belonged more. I love USA like some people love alcohol or chocolate lol.

For the last few years, my boyfriend has worked in a factory in the UK which has other factories located in a few western areas of America. He is toying with the idea of getting a transfer over to one of them. His job since he left school (he is 30 this year) is working in this field so he has a hell of a lot of experience.

If he was able to get a role in one of these american factories, would I be able to go with him? I currently work online and am thinking of setting up my own website so if he got sponsored by an american company to work over there, would I be set up as I wouldnt need sponsoring as I would have my own money coming in from my online business.

We would save up of course to afford a house etc. But as I would be making my own money, surely I wouldnt need sponsoring?

Has anyone moved to the USA from the UK that had a business online or anything? Or have you moved with a partner that got a job in USA?

I look forward to hearing from anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 11:36 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,163,236 times
Being an old hand on this forum, I know what people are going to rain on your parade : " the grass is not greener over there", "it's the financial crisis, the times are bad, don't come", etc!
So sad to see that so many people have lost faith in their own Nation.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:38 PM

443 posts, read 1,093,829 times
I'm a Brit and I live in the USA, right in the area that you love so much. I love it too.

I came here via postgraduate study. I then got a work visa (well, more precisely, OPT) and was planning to go the H-1B route, but then I fell in love and got married so ended up going the married route.

If you married your boyfriend and he was transferred here, you would eventually be able to join him (depends on his visa type). The US, unlike UK immigration, doesn't recognise non-married partners.

You may have your own money from your own business (which, let's not forget, doesn't exist yet), but things happen and if you end up with no income, the US wants proof that someone here would be able to support you. Everyone needs to have a sponsor if they're coming in on a family visa (which you would have if you were joining a spouse on a work visa). Sponsorship isn't a big deal, it just involves your boyfriend saying that he has a job, here are the tax returns to prove it, and the government says okay. You need to have enough money to be above the poverty line - which is very low, so most people do have that money.

Good luck.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:04 PM

491 posts, read 1,098,205 times
It depends on your individual situation. Right now, it's fair to say that there are A LOT of angry Americans at the situation here right now. If you have an employable skill that you can make a good living with and that pays for health insurance, you can still do well. But, the number of people who have slipped out of the middle-class and down into the working poor is enormous and grows everyday. 45 million people in this country have no health insurance at all.

You mentioned CA. Right now in the state capital where I live, the unemployment rate is over 13% and climbing. Education budgets for all levels from K-12 to college are being gutted. Read the posts from the individual states on CD about education if you think I'm being unduly dramatic.

I would just take stock of your skillset and make sure you can make a living first. If not, this is not the place to be without a job and I expect it to get worse each year for many years to come. I also expect that my wife and I will have to retire abroad just to survive on our Social Security and small state pension.

I don't think that I'm exaggerating the situation.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:45 PM

443 posts, read 1,093,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroPlumber View Post
It depends on your individual situation. Right now, it's fair to say that there are A LOT of angry Americans at the situation here right now. If you have an employable skill that you can make a good living with and that pays for health insurance, you can still do well. But, the number of people who have slipped out of the middle-class and down into the working poor is enormous and grows everyday. 45 million people in this country have no health insurance at all.

You mentioned CA. Right now in the state capital where I live, the unemployment rate is over 13% and climbing. Education budgets for all levels from K-12 to college are being gutted. Read the posts from the individual states on CD about education if you think I'm being unduly dramatic.

I would just take stock of your skillset and make sure you can make a living first. If not, this is not the place to be without a job and I expect it to get worse each year for many years to come. I also expect that my wife and I will have to retire abroad just to survive on our Social Security and small state pension.

I don't think that I'm exaggerating the situation.
I don't think you are exaggerating either. This seems pretty accurate to me. I can see, though, why people feel more gutsy during a bad economy, they think 'well, I have nothing left to lose, I'm going to go for it', that kind of thing.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:14 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,634,943 times
It makes me happy to hear someone from a foreign nation say good things about us. I am so used to hearing negative things in the media all the time about the US.

Good luck to you ILoveUSA. You are the kind of person that we need more of in this country.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:23 AM

3,717 posts, read 4,383,989 times
i absolutely love America as well i would love to move to florida or southwest one day I always dreamed of living in a typical american suburb I dont think americans realize how lucky they are. Im polish, currently living in Uk but planning to move to states in few years time, when economy will get better, good luck to you IloveUSA.
oh and btw, u guys have great huge houses, here in europe everything is tiny lol

Old 03-15-2010, 12:08 PM

1,034 posts, read 3,872,408 times
I agree with HighPlains that your attitude and appreciation of the U.S. are highly desirable and we should open our arms to people like you who see living and working here as a privilege. Sometimes to kill time I'll read the latest happenings in the UK and I just cringe. Things seem so bad there from immigration to health care to crime (although our health care could be making some unfavorable changes in the near future as well). All in all, I'd say Americans are very welcoming of those from the UK and I wish you the best of luck on your journey.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:16 PM

15,534 posts, read 17,764,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
oh and btw, u guys have great huge houses, here in europe everything is tiny lol
Big houses take a long time to clean and not all Americans have a Polish maid like on TV.

I'll take a small house, please :-)

ABQConvict
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or