Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 02:05 PM

81 posts, read 332,223 times

Advertisements

I have four cities at the top of my underrated list...here they are.

In no particular order

The South--Charlotte. Good climate. Plenty of business opportunities. Strong, diverse middle class.

The West--Sacramento. Fast growing. Becoming a technology hub. Diverse. Liveable. Centrally located within a day's drive of many great West Coast cities.

The Northeast--Philadelphia. Plenty of charming neighborhoods. Tons of history and civic pride. Other great cities relatively close by. Besides, I just like Philly.

The Midwest--Indianapolis. Fastest growing Midwest city (percentage wise). Low cost of living. Excellent business opportunities. Vibrant central city, esp. the downtown.

My current city of Nashville is also underrated but for the wrong reasons!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 02:41 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,314,379 times
oh...I love sacramento! I lived there for awhile...also just spent some time in Indianapolis, they have an excellent urban park downtown for walking and its filled with attractions.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:58 PM

154 posts, read 705,513 times
charlotte & sacramento aren't exactly "underrated", they're both experiencing huge growth and are very well-known these days. philly, i definitely agree with. indy too, but on a lesser level.

when i think of underrated cities, i think of: syracuse NY, toledo OH, spokane WA, erie PA, providence RI, bridgeport CT, and tampa, FL (my home city).

Old 06-02-2007, 04:15 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,504,251 times
Why aren't Oklahoma City and Tulsa considered underrated even though they are considered great for low cost of living and for conducting businesss. Are those cities simply considered much too backward and out of step with the rest of the nation to be considered underrated? Also is the weather much too harsh and unpleasant in those two cities?

Although early, other cities in the Midwest have not been brought up, such as Wichita, Omaha and Des Moines.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:44 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,259,082 times
I would say Omaha for midwestern cities. If you can stand the 'midwesterness' of it, it's really a nice place. Great arts scene, neat downtown with little boutiques, neat old town area, several universities, two medical schools, lots of museums. (I guess that goes with arts, huh?) Way better than Des Moines, IMO. Terrible climate, though and VERY midwestern.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:25 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,346,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Why aren't Oklahoma City and Tulsa considered underrated even though they are considered great for low cost of living and for conducting businesss. Are those cities simply considered much too backward and out of step with the rest of the nation to be considered underrated? Also is the weather much too harsh and unpleasant in those two cities?

Although early, other cities in the Midwest have not been brought up, such as Wichita, Omaha and Des Moines.
Since when are Oklahoma City and Tulsa midwestern? Don't they belong in the South or Southwest? I guess maybe they are a bit of everything...i dunno.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:58 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,314,379 times
Sacramento may be moving up but its totally underrated in california. people there turn there noses up at the cities in the middle....cowtown is not supposed to a complilment.

anyway what is all the fuss? the op just pointed out his underrated cities!! that doesn't mean there might not be others!!

I have an interest in omaha...have driven by it but never been.

And ps. Oklahoma City and Tulsa are more plains cities, Omaha is right on that border of midwest/plains too.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:25 PM

38,651 posts, read 22,646,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I would say Omaha for midwestern cities. If you can stand the 'midwesterness' of it, it's really a nice place. Great arts scene, neat downtown with little boutiques, neat old town area, several universities, two medical schools, lots of museums. (I guess that goes with arts, huh?) Way better than Des Moines, IMO. Terrible climate, though and VERY midwestern.
I agree with you regarding Omaha, including the fact the weather isn't the greatest. I personally wouldn't mind living there if not for that, being that I'm a native Californian and spoiled by our mild climate.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:31 PM

38,651 posts, read 22,646,027 times
Default Sacramento and Indianapolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
oh...I love sacramento! I lived there for awhile...also just spent some time in Indianapolis, they have an excellent urban park downtown for walking and its filled with attractions.
I lived in Sacramento back in 1990-91. It's a beautiful city, but thought it got too horribly HOT during the summer, plus I felt it had a high crime rate for a city its size. From reading the Sacramento sub-forum in the California forums, it seems that the area is experiencing growing pains (traffic, services, etc.). So for me, it's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there again.

Never been to Indianapolis, but I understand that the northern suburban communities of Carmel and Fishers look like the suburbs of south Orange County, CA, minus the palm trees.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:54 AM

332 posts, read 1,620,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
I lived in Sacramento back in 1990-91. . . . I felt it had a high crime rate for a city its size.
That's only because of all the politicians!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.