U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2007, 11:32 AM

4 posts, read 34,627 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I don't know how unique my situation is, but with all the members here, maybe a solution can be found.

I have a mitochondrial based muscle disease. It has affected me most of my life, but hit me the hardest around five years ago. I haven't been able to work for the past three years because of it. My wife can retire from teaching in two years, and we both want to leave New Mexico. My condition has made me very heat intolerant over the past several years. Living in New Mexico is fine for seven months of the year, but my intolerance to heat has made the five months of summer very unpleasant for me. With my wife retiring in two years we are free to move anywhere. While heat is an issue, cold is an issue too. Cold causes my muscles to get stiff. So moderate climate is the key. I'm open to suggestions of places in the world that meet this criteria:

Moderate climate {50F(10C) - 80F(26C)}
Low cost of living
Easy access to health care.

New Zealand's climate is ideal (I'm an All Blacks rugby fan), but they don't want people with health issues. I figure there must be some places in North America that have a similar climate as NZ that fit my criteria. All suggestions are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 12:14 PM

7 posts, read 25,122 times
Hi, good luck with your search. I, too, am looking for a retirement home somewhere with a moderate climate, no serious weather threats, low cost of living, and good access to healh care. I love the climate just south of Denver although I'd like to see more golf weather. Real estate and sales taxes are pretty high in the area.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:41 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,732,270 times
You may want to try Sweden. I'm not sure you'll find anything in the US that meets your criteria. Example: Some cities will over good health care/easy access but will cost you a lot to live in. So there's always sacrifices you have to make. I empathize w/you as I've been through and continue to go through the same dilemma.

P.S. California has the best climate I know of. I've been all across the U.S. until I finally settled here but the cost of living accompanies the "luxury."

Years ago I would have recommended Nevada but it's changed full circle. What you seek is common with most people, just be aware that a hefty price tag comes with the comfort. After all, this is America.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:31 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,429,074 times
San Diego sounds about the closest to the climate youre looking for, but then its outrageously expensive.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:20 PM

80 posts, read 435,959 times
Thumbs up Mild climates, health care access, reasonable cost of living

Prop1-

Here are a few places for your consideration that meet or come close to meeting your criteria:
  • Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, NC
  • Asheville, NC
  • Roanoke, VA
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Chattanooga, TN

Old 06-04-2007, 07:41 PM

4 posts, read 34,627 times
Thanks for all the replies. I'll be researching all those suggestions. The best candidates will give a good reason to take a vacation!

Old 11-07-2007, 01:37 AM

13 posts, read 41,659 times
Default Tennessee area and Asheville

hi...I was browsing the forum for an idea of a moderate climate - due to health issues too. Noticed the reference to Tenn areas and Asheville. The problem I've found (health wise) living in these areas is the humidity in the very long summers. They are all really great places - I especially like Asheville, but not good health wise if humidity bothers your condition. Same situation with Nashville and Chattanooga.

And it seems to get hotter and more humid every year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or